1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

Just signed up to say how much I love seeing this Spit come alive piece by piece. However, since having caught up

with the thread (and saving all the photos for future reference - btw we're close to 1200 all incl.) it's like watching a

new TV show when it airs and not binge-watching the Blurays. I keep coming back daily hoping for another fix. Can

you please speed up, Peter? J/k of course.

You make it look so easy, but that is to be expected since we do not see the hours spent in preparation and thought

of how to do what you do (for the most part anyway), i.e. building a jig for a wall section. Who in their "right" mind

would go to such lengths? The result pays dividends to that extra effort and maybe it didn't take all that long to begin

with, but it's the extra mile necessary for such a (at least to my eye) flawless result. Kudos!

I don't even know how I came about this thread since I'm mostly a 1/12 car guy (queue the booing ;)) but have a thing

for Spitfires, and now I'm stuck here... Ah well, reminds me of the last time I've been "up north" and was approaching

the Dover ferry habour when a pair of spitfires circled above. I was like, oh well, what's this then, start wiggling your

wings now, see this Kraut off back home :P

Anyway onwards and upwards - waiting for the next instalment.

Cheers

Roman

PS: As per your quest for rivets and such... Note that I've learned just the day before yesterday that scalehardware

has been reopened under new ownership. I haven't checked on their prices (if they've hiked up a bit (likely) or if they

have changed at all), but here's the link:

https://www.modelmotorcars.com/scalehardware/

I'm not affiliated in any way, shape or form with them. After all they're from the colonies, pfff ;). If this link is against
the forum rules, let me know and I'll remove the link.

evening fellow model nuts :)

Just signed up to say how much I love seeing this Spit come alive piece by piece. However, since having caught up

with the thread (and saving all the photos for future reference - btw we're close to 1200 all incl.) it's like watching a

new TV show when it airs and not binge-watching the Blurays. I keep coming back daily hoping for another fix. Can

you please speed up, Peter? J/k of course.

Anyway onwards and upwards - waiting for the next instalment.

Cheers

Roman

Hi Roman - I am honoured you joined (and welcome!) just to say that :) I aspire to inspire people so I am really pleased with that. You might find yourself coming over to the dark side and messing about with aeroplanes before you know it

as for updates - I do post quite a lot - things are going well and when they do, I want to share it so I am glad you look forward to them.

..also thanks for the tip Re: Scale Hardware, I would be lost without them

I have thought of a new comment for each update, namely 'see you at the winner's ceremony at Telford'. I think I'll just copy and paste this for each new update.

Hi Rich - you do make me laugh - I can't say I am not dreading the whole experience - even the time pressure of having it done by then, let alone judging eyeballs scrutinising my model against the best in the world, I don't think I will win anything and actually if I did place in anything I would be quite beside myself :)

so onto whats what - still messing around with fitting the cockpit out so lots of tiny little assemblies and wires & pipes - they take an extraordinarily long time to get right actually - a bit of a time vampire..

..this is the sutton harness release - say an hour on that alone..

WIP1152_zpswckr9c0k.jpg

..a signalling switchbox - another hour..

WIP1151_zpsqxz0xuv7.jpg

..this was another tricky one - two parallel pipes - I taped them so I could bend them as one and then cut slots out of the tape to fit brackets that will keep them equally spaced.. on some aircraft they are green but I might leave them natural,,

WIP1153_zpscpnfenpv.jpg

...the U/C controls got all their pipework which again were tricky to get right in relation to the IP bulkhead and the mounting..

WIP1157_zpslr6n2vid.jpg

..fuseboxes, switchgear, and all the other bits were fitted..

WIP1155_zpskdezgwp2.jpg

WIP1154_zpsujdvvihb.jpg

WIP1156_zpsges9e5gu.jpg

..they all need to go through holes in the rear bulkhead too so checked for fit..

WIP1158_zpshegdvnsn.jpg

..and a dry fit with the IP bulkhead in place..

WIP1159_zpsv2uqluuj.jpg

WIP1160_zps428t5u7q.jpg

and thats it - the more I look, the more bits I can see, but at least I am getting there...

..I just hope it all holds up when this whole unit is mounted into the model and it is handles to add all the skinning to come :coolio:

TTFN

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Many posts ago I gave up trying to find new superlatives for your work and I am still searching. Absolutely exquisite work - simply breathtaking.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

"..... let alone judging eyeballs scrutinising my model against the best in the world,"

But here's the thing...your Spitfire build is probably currently the best in the world. Simple as that!

"I don't think I will win anything and actually if I did place in anything I would be quite beside myself :)"

Well, put it this way. I've booked the weekend off for Telford this year, and the primary reason I want to be there is so I can say "I told you so" when you walk away with best of show....and no doubt buy you a beer afterwards. 

For me, your amazing build is a true inspiration, as is your absolute modesty.

Best regards;

Steve

If for any reason this beautiful creation doesn't take top prize at Telford, I will personally place a poo inside a Jiffy bag, set it alight and place it on the head judge's doorstep, ring the doorbell and run away!  :fight:  :ninja:  :rofl: *

(* Disclaimer. The above statement said purely in jest........maybe.)

Edited by fightersweep