Tamiya F-15C Kicked Up A Notch- Dec 1/17: DONE!

chuck540z3

Very amazing detailed painting their Chuck as everyone's mentioned above.

I've been watching these emails come in my phone all day, I've got about 20 or so just from “Kicked Up A Notch†and have just had a chance now to have a look at my computer… nice.

Plus, as you've mentioned the detail under that paintwork does stand out especially now with those bigger photos you've showing.

Thanks,

Edited by MarioS

My renewal is next month, which I was going to cancel.  Not now.  For $30 I'll let my build pics live for another year for all to copy, since I have all the originals on my computer anyway.  There's no way I'm updating 200-300 pics in every one of my prior build threads.

I still find this all so incredible it's hard to believe, much like some recent elections.  :whistle:

You're sure the USD 30 will let you link to forums after next month's renewal ? My understanding is no, in which case you'de be p...g USD 30 in the wind, or more exactly in PB's greedy pockets, for nothing ...

Back to your build in one word : terrific !

Hubert

My renewal is next month, which I was going to cancel.  Not now.  For $30 I'll let my build pics live for another year for all to copy, since I have all the originals on my computer anyway.  There's no way I'm updating 200-300 pics in every one of my prior build threads.

I still find this all so incredible it's hard to believe, much like some recent elections.  :whistle:

I made the switch to Imageshack yesterday. $18.95 1/2 off special for the first year. You're right PB is committing business suicide. Which reminds me, Who actually owns PB now?

Thanks Guys!  I really appreciate the words of encouragement.

You're sure the USD 30 will let you link to forums after next month's renewal ? My understanding is no, in which case you'de be p...g USD 30 in the wind, or more exactly in PB's greedy pockets, for nothing ...

Back to your build in one word : terrific !

Hubert

Hi Hubert,

To answer your question, no, I'm not sure.  Here is what Photobucket has posted on their website:

"If you were a Plus Account subscriber in good standing as of June 1, 2017,
you will continue to have all the privileges you have enjoyed including 3rd
Party Hosting until December 31, 2018 as long as you maintain your
subscription.

Non Plus 500 Account subscribers that purchased after June 1, 2017 will not
have access to 3rd Party Hosting."

Since I have a "Plus 20" account already, which is to be automatically renewed in late August, I assume that I'll pay another $30 (and "maintain my subscription") and be good for at least the following year.  Time will tell.

What this message also indicates is that if you purchased a Plus Account after June 1st, you will lose 3rd Party Hosting within a little over a month after you signed up.  If it was me I'd be after my credit card company to reverse the charges, because I didn't get what I paid for.

I've been asked a few times about my box contraption that I use to hold my big models.  It is a very simple small box with foam pipe wrap along the edges, covered with paper shop towels to create a soft and scratch-free platform.  I use two of them, one covered with a very soft micro-fibre towel for construction and another with just pipe wrap for painting.  I can spray paint all over it with no worries about contaminating anything and when it gets real dirty, I toss it and create a new one for about $1.00.

Here are some prior examples:

ExtSlats7.jpg

Secondpaint1.jpg

Panel-linewash8.jpg

Weatheringwash1.jpg

And of course the boxes for this model.  My painting box.....

UwkCdQ.jpg

And my holding and construction box, which is super soft...

fMwni4.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Chuck,

The application of the Camo paint scheme sure looks dead on perfect, and perfectly applied.

Your painting tutorial is exactly what I was hoping for. 99% of us can air brush good enough, and are comfortable with our own standard procedures. To often explanations of procedures go into type of gun, needle size selection, psi used (which varies by gun/needle size/compressor or gas tank) along with pertinent information. You sir, cut right to the meat and bones.

Starting with specific colors with the correct FS color match, along with color pictures for us to see the comparison of one color to the next. Then using MM enamels, your adjusted mixes for the proper scale effect, and even the mix for a color not currently available from any major paint line. As well as your explanation as to why there are different patterns for the same aircraft, Over spray variations, and application of paint.  And all with excellent pictures that further clarify your tutorial. 

Then you switch gears and went into a very well detailed, and organized explanation of how you went about painting your F-15, masking techniques & why various ones were used. Again with plenty of perfect photographs for a complete visual presentation.

I've been modeling on and off since 1970 or so, and this has to be one of the best presentations I've read on painting yet. Thanks Chuck for taking so much time to present it to us as an advanced painting tutorial, not painting 101.

Joel

Thanks a lot guys, but the assembly of the guns was quite easy, because I "cheat".  While I am likely better than most modelers when using CA glue, I still make a mess now and then, as I did with this gun.  Some of the CA glue was a bit thick in certain areas, so I literally soaked the barrels in stuff I've been recommending for years:  Great Planes Pro CA Debonder.  It dissolves the CA glue, but more importantly if you want some of the glue to remain, it lets the glue re-harden as it evaporates.  This is why I use CA glue for just about everything, especially filling gaps and seams.  If I make a mess or need to alter anything, I just apply a few drops of this stuff, clean up the dissolved glue and try again.

CAGlue.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Have you ever tried to use the CA de-bonder to smooth out a joint/seam that has had CA applied to it (like some of us do with water/miliput and-or Mr. Surfacer/thinner)?

Cheers

Collin

Chuck,

Your Eagle looks stunning, especially in paint - which came out great. Your patient, meticulous approach to preparation has paid off in spades.

...another masterpiece approaches the finish line! Lots of eyes on this one, including mine.

One quick note about F-15 external lights: the pair of inboard wing leading edge lights are actually flashing beacons, so both should be red. The wing tip lights are indeed conventional position lights, and the old adage "right is wrong for red" applies. http://www.f-15e.info/joomla/technology/miscellaneous/103-exterior-lighting

Rich

Edited by allthumbs

Chuck,

The application of the Camo paint scheme sure looks dead on perfect, and perfectly applied.

Your painting tutorial is exactly what I was hoping for. 99% of us can air brush good enough, and are comfortable with our own standard procedures. To often explanations of procedures go into type of gun, needle size selection, psi used (which varies by gun/needle size/compressor or gas tank) along with pertinent information. You sir, cut right to the meat and bones.

Starting with specific colors with the correct FS color match, along with color pictures for us to see the comparison of one color to the next. Then using MM enamels, your adjusted mixes for the proper scale effect, and even the mix for a color not currently available from any major paint line. As well as your explanation as to why there are different patterns for the same aircraft, Over spray variations, and application of paint.  And all with excellent pictures that further clarify your tutorial. 

Then you switch gears and went into a very well detailed, and organized explanation of how you went about painting your F-15, masking techniques & why various ones were used. Again with plenty of perfect photographs for a complete visual presentation.

I've been modeling on and off since 1970 or so, and this has to be one of the best presentations I've read on painting yet. Thanks Chuck for taking so much time to present it to us as an advanced painting tutorial, not painting 101.

Joel

Thanks Joel for these very kind words.  I really appreciate you taking the time to write them.

Have you ever tried to use the CA de-bonder to smooth out a joint/seam that has had CA applied to it (like some of us do with water/miliput and-or Mr. Surfacer/thinner)?

Cheers

Collin

Yes and no.  For a big seam I won't, because the debonder is too hard to control what glue it dissolves and what it leaves behind.  For something finely detailed like the gun barrels, I use it all the time, because the debonder dissolves all the glue and then lets it re-set, hopefully cleaner and smoother than it was before.  I might apply debonder using a micro-brush many times to get the clean look I'm looking for.

Along a similar train of thought, be careful where you use CA debonder.  Many times I have cleaned up some CA glue on a model only to discover that I also dissolved a seam that I had filled months earlier.  Grrrrr!  :BANGHEAD2:

Chuck,

Your Eagle looks stunning, especially in paint - which came out great. Your patient, meticulous approach to preparation has paid off in spades.

...another masterpiece approaches the finish line! Lots of eyes on this one, including mine.

One quick note about F-15 external lights: the pair of inboard wing leading edge lights are actually flashing beacons, so both should be red. The wing tip lights are indeed conventional position lights, and the old adage "right is wrong for red" applies. http://www.f-15e.info/joomla/technology/miscellaneous/103-exterior-lighting

Rich

Thanks,

Yes, I discovered the dual red lights only a few weeks ago while reviewing Jake's book and was wondering why.  Thanks for that explanation.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3