1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

tomprobert

11 hours ago, jenshb said:

Nice job on the instrument panel.  What did you use to glue the etched instruments to the plastic?

Jens

Thank you - the etched instrument surrounds are secured with a small amount of CA glue. 

All the best,

Tom

A little more done to the interior over the last few days - I've been concentrating on the Flight Engineer's panel and the bulkhead immediately behind the pilots' seats.

Here's the bulkhead and panel before any paint - once again Airscale's instrument bezels came in handy:

49753352473_180282591e_z.jpgIMG_0042 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The Milliput sections appear to be a fold-away observer's seat - these will have seatbelts added before the final fitting.

A quick spray of matt black followed by more of Airscale's decals and some basic detail painting:

49754213927_e637d6eb95_z.jpgS1030251 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

And where it'll fit on the flight deck:

49753344463_bcb8a41194_z.jpgS1030252 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Still lots more to make and help me keep busy over the lockdown. Speaking of which, I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

All the best,

Tom

I got a bit bored making cockpit parts so decided to finish off the rear control surfaces. 

The rudders had been made previously but have now been riveted. The satbilisers were finished off and have both have now been primed with some of Halfords' finest grey - which it turns out you can order online and collect in store... from a safe distance of course!

49792499791_b628003ef4_z.jpgS1030272 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

49791953053_09d5ba6403_z.jpgS1030275 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I still need to add the finer details such as the trim tab actuators, but this'll be done just before paint to avoid breakages.

Take care all,

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

Evening guys and gals,

I've been having a go at making the bomb doors of late - my dad built the HK Models Lancaster as a Dambuster so he didn't use the bomb doors from his kit. With the Lancaster and Shackleton sharing the same ancestry, I twisted his arm and he let me have them as a starting point for the Shackleton.

The Shackleton is obviously wider than the Lanc so I have had to add some additional plastic to the Lancaster doors (the grey areas in the picture below). The bay was the same length, however, and I was pleased that my bomb bay was exactly the same length as the HK bomb doors - at least I know one part of this model is more or less spot on in terms of accuracy! With the Shackleton doors being wider, I had to remove the Lancaster door end plates and add my own from plastic card:

49822941562_5d735ae5b7_z.jpgS1030282 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The HK bomb doors have some beautiful surface detail, but sadly this has to go as the outer skins on the Shackleton's bomb doors are quite different, with lots or raised ribbing. I slathered a layer of filler on, and sanded it smooth. This also helped to blend in the new plastic card additions:

49822089438_702ddb0756_z.jpgS1030284 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

A shot of Halfrords' grey primer came next:

49822940522_f0669bef33_z.jpgS1030299 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Pleased with that - a good blank surface to add the surface details.

I've been careful to get the sit of the doors correct - on the real aircraft they almost touch the ground at the rear end when open. A test fit reveals they look ok thus far:

49822941077_dc4cba2730_z.jpgS1030292 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

49822089078_8270fa784b_z.jpgS1030296 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I still need to add the internal skinning and linings:

49822626051_b4db8468ab_z.jpgS1030297 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Those who have been following this build for a while may wonder why I'm doing full length doors if this is going to be an AEW2. I must confess I'm at a crossroads with this build - I love the AEW2 versions but decals are going to be a real headache. The red serials with white surrounds, squadron badges, all the stencilling, etc. mean it's going to be lot of extra time, not to mention cost, to get it to a standard I'm happy with. Therefore, I'm now considering resorting to my original plan and do this as a MR2 in the grey over white scheme. Much simpler decal-wise and very attractive - although it'll mean scratching a mid-upper turret but I'm more or less settled on a scheme such as below (used for illustrative purposes only):

49822153878_7f59bc1c26_z.jpgShackleton MR2 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I've not forgotten the flightdeck and have also made the navigator's station which sits immediately behind the pilot - the map is just there for effect but it does add a nice splash of colour:

49822089808_22b526e392_z.jpgS1030301 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

This was once again made from plastic card, with details added from Airscale's bezels and decals. 

I'm going to keep plodding on with the flightdeck details, and I may have a go at adding the surface details to the exterior of the bomb doors - we'll see where the mood takes me.

Stay safe all,

Tom

• tomprobert changed the title to 1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project
12 hours ago, brahman104 said:

Awesome! What a nice coincidence that the HK doors work! Love the nav console too. Does the change in variant mean you'll have to build that big turret thingy on top too?

Cheers,

Craig

Thanks, Craig. 

The tail-dragger Shackletons had the same length bay as the Lancaster (carried through from the Manchester) so I was pleased to be able to use the HK parts as it saved me a lot of grief making the whole door. The MR.3s had a slightly shorter bomb bay, however, as the nose wheel bay was added forward.

And yes - if I do settle on a MR.2 then the mid-upper will be added - complete with twin 20mm cannon. Just imagine the noise inside that turret when that thing let rip!

Tom

Great work as always Tom - I am very impressed with your scratch building work.

I think that an MR.2 would look awesome. I know that the Shackleton GR/MR.1 and early MR.2 aircraft used the same dorsal armament as the Avro Lincoln (I am making a kit master pattern of the Lincoln at the moment, so that is how I know). The dorsal turret is a Bristol B17 turret armed with twin Hispano Mk.V cannons. Below is a quick trawl of the internet for relevant reference material for you Tom:

Hispano_Mk.II_Lancaster.jpg

Installation on a Lancaster

SpitfireSpares.com - warbird Relics

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

RRR72159%20Lincoln%201B.jpg

Royal Air Force Musuem, London, England

Bristol B.17 Gun Turret  b

img030_zpse70abb85.jpg

The Bristol Aeroplane Company Ltd

The Bristol Type B.17 Mk.1 Mid-upper Turret - Pt 1

Nearly all the Bristol designs produced by the Company were mid-upper turrets intended for aircraft use. The last Bristol turret to be produced in quantity was also a mid-upper design, the Type B.17. However, this was for the Avro Lincoln.

In 1943 the Air Ministry issued a specification for a Hispano-Suiza cannon turret for the new bomber . It called for a high degree of control and had to be as self-contained as possible. The Boulton Paul and Frazer-Nash companies submitted updated versions of cannon-armed turrets designed in the late 1930s, but the new Bristol turret proved superior and was accepted for use. The main reason for this decision was the advanced power system built into the turret, the Bristol all-electrical system.

The prototype of the new turret was constructed at the Carson factory, where the production jigs were also produced.

The turret was a self-contained unit supported from the aircraft structure by a top bearing, the outer part being fixed to the aircraft frame. The inner rotating section formed the turret ring from which various sections were suspended; these were the gun cradles, the armoured front shield, drive motors and control console, and the ammunition boxes, seat and rotating service joint. Roller bearings took the side and upward loads, and steel balls supported the main weight of the turret.

The B.17 was powered by the Bristol all-electric system. the motor/generator unit was strapped under the floor, and the two drive motors were fixed vertically to the armoured shield in front of the gunner. As in the B.12, the traversing drive motor turned the turret by means of a pinion engaging in a toothed ring bolted to the outer fixed ring of the turret rotation bearing. A spring clutch between the reduction gear and the motor - was designed to slip under excessive loading. The gun cradle was elevated and depressed by a drive motor which turned a screwjack attached to the hinged cradle, and the elevation drive was also protected by a slipping clutch. The turret drives were controlled by a twin-handle controller which varied the speed and direction of the drive motors by means of potentiometers in the twist-grip handles. The handles were also fitted with grasp-type levers which operated switches to energise the field circuits of the generators, the levers acting as dead man's handles.

On the top of the left handle was a high-speed button - when this was pressed the drive motors could be operated 30 per cent faster than normal. This facility could be used only for short periods, and was used to change quickly from one target to another.

The main electrical supply was taken from the aircraft bus-bars. It was switched on by operating the button of a circuit breaker mounted outside the turret in the aircraft fuselage. A similar breaker was mounted on the gunner's control console. The current entered the turret by way of a rotating service joint at the base; the service joint consisted of a circular drum with three sets of brass slip-rings for the intercom system, general electrical services and main power supply. The drum rotated with the turret, and carbon brushes in contact with the rings took the services into the turret; oxygen was supplied by a pipe running through the centre of the drum via a rotating union.

The two 20 mm (0.78 in) Hispano cannon were mounted on special cradles with built-in recoil mechanisms. They were connected by a substantial torque tube which rigidly connected the guns in traverse. Until this time the gunners had cocked their Brownings with a rope lanyard, but with the massive Hispano return springs this was impossible. A compressed-air gun cocking unit was therefore employed, supplied from an air bottle in the turret. The gun cradles were designed to accommodate either the Hispano Mk.IV or Mk.V cannon mounted on either side of the seated gunner. Ammunition was stored in boxes which also supported the gunner's sadle-type seat housing. Each gun was supplied with 350 rounds, sufficient for 30 seconds' firing. From the boxes, the ammunition belts were lifted by electrical feed assisters mounted on the side of the gun housings, the rounds being channelled through chutes into the gun feed mechansism. The ammunition feed system was to cause much frustrating delay in bringing the turret into service. It was found very difficult to synchronise the speed of the assisters with the feed mechanisms. The fault was finally rectified, but even after acceptance for Service use this was still the main cause of stoppages. Empty cases and links were ejected into canvas bags slung on either side of the turret.

A feature of new British turrets was the provision of ammunition round counters, two dials mounted on the gunner's control console giving an accurate indication of rounds available. This was thought necessary owing to the relatively short supply of ammuntion available.

The guns were fired by triggers on the control handles. When these were pressed an electrical circuit was closed which energised two relays. These in turn switched current to solenoids which activated the firing mechanisms on the Hispanos. The gun-firing circuit was wired in series with a Bristol drum-type gunfire interrupter mounted between the drive motors. When the gun barrels approached a position where damage to the aircraft might be caused, the circuit was switched off.

The above text and photos were taken from "British Aircraft Armament Vol.1: RAF Gun Turrets", by R Wallace Clarke.

ATTACHMENTS
Elevation drive unit.jpg
Elevation drive unit.jpg (36.12 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
Bristol Type B.17 in test rig.jpg
Bristol Type B.17 in test rig.jpg (50.62 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
Wooden mock-up of Bristol Type B.17.jpg
Wooden mock-up of Bristol Type B.17.jpg (50.54 KiB) Viewed 2025 times

The Bristol Type B.17 Mk.1 Mid-upper Turret - Pt 2

The guns were sighted by a Mk.IIC gyro gunsight, mounted on the torque tube between the gun cradle brackets. The range input pedals for the sight were situated on extensions to the gunner's footrests.

The turret was surmounted by a low-drag cupola which provided a good field of view. The long gun barrels protruded through vertical slots fitted with draught excluders and curved panels which moved with the guns in elevation. The rear half of the cupola could be removed to release a trapped gunner, and to service the guns and turret mechansism.

The gunner's saddle-type seat could be adjusted for height and reach to any one of six positions by the operation of a lever at the back of the seat. The interphone system to the rest of the crew was switched on by means of a 'press to speak' button on the right control handle. Oxygen and heated clothing sockets were provided.

Although the back of the cupola could be removed, the gunner's emergency exit was through the aircraft, his parachute being stored on the port side fuselage wall.

The oxygen economiser unit was fed from the rotating service joint, a flexible tube being taken to the gunner's control panel where a flow indicator was fitted.

Details of the Bristol B.17 Mk.I Mid-upper Turret

Position: Mid-upper
Armament: Two 20 mm (0.78 in) Hispano Mk.V
Ammunition: 350 rounds per gun
Fire control: Electrical solenoids
Field of fire:
Traverse: 360 degrees
Elevation: 45 degrees
Depression: 10 degrees
Full load current: 140 amps
Gunsight: Mk.IIC gyro sight
Weight of turret (armed): 656 kg (1,445 lb)
Diameter of ring: 94 cm (37 in)
Overall height: 94 cm (37 in)
Cupola height: 64 cm (25 in)
Armour protection: 10 mm (0.393 in)
Speed of operation (Normal):
Traverse: 0-35 degrees per sec
Elevation: 0-25 degrees per sec
Speed of operation (high speed):
Traverse: 0-45 degrees per sec
Elevation: 0-35 degrees per sec

The following aircraft were fitted with the Bristol B.17 Mk.I Mid-upper Turret.

Aircraft type: Avro Lincoln B.Mk.II, Avro Shackleton MR.Mks. 1,2 & 3, Short Seaford Mk.I
Position: Mid-upper
Guns: 2 x 20 mm (0.78 in) Mk. IV or V
Traverse: 360 degrees
Elevation: 45 degrees
Depression: 10 degrees
Remarks:

The above text and photos were taken from "British Aircraft Armament Vol.1: RAF Gun Turrets", by R Wallace Clarke.

ATTACHMENTS

Bristol B.17 turret.jpg
Bristol B.17 turret.jpg (33.71 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
B.17.jpg
B.17.jpg (32.47 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
B.17 ammunition system.jpg
B.17 ammunition system.jpg (32.27 KiB) Viewed 2020 times

Bristol B.16 nose turret

The Bristol Type B.16 Mk.I Nose Turret

In 1943 the U-boats of the Kriegsmarine decided to remain surfaced and use their multiple 20mm and single 37 mm weapons to fight attacking Allied aircraft. Initially the practice was successful and many Coastal Command aircraft were lost. The problem was that the front turrets of the Sunderlands, Wellingtons and other types were armed with 7.7 mm (0.303 in) rifle-calibre guns and the Germans knew they had 1 km (0.7 miles) during the attack when the aircraft could be not return their fire. The small Brownings, sometimes only a single gun, had a maximum effective range of some 549 m (600 yds), much less than the heavy calibre AA guns of the U-boats. The Air Staff were naturally concerned,and meetings were held with the various aircraft and armament companies to find a method of countering the new and potentially disastrous situation.

One of the many schemes suggested was to mount a 40 mm (1.57 in) Vickers Type S gun in the nose of Coastal Command aircraft. The front fuselages of the Sunderland, Whitley, Hudson and other types were not suited for such a project, but there were several squadrons of Boeing B.17 Fortresses serving with the Command. The Bristol Company was given an order to design a turret suitable to mount an S gun, and adapt a Fortress to take it. A Coastal Command Fortress (FK185) was flown to Filton, and one of the huge guns was sent from Vickers' Crayford works. Work started immediately. It was decided to use the newly designed all-electrical power system, and a working mock-up was constructed at Carson's factory in Bristol. which was used by the Bristol Armament Department for development of new turret designs.

The gun was mounted on a substantial cradle, supported by trunnions suspended on bearings in a lantern-shaped housing. The housing, or main turret body, was traversed by means of a motor which drove a geared sprocket, engaging in a toothed quadrant at the top of the turret. The turret was suspended on two roller bearings at the top and bottom of the housing. The rear of the turret housing was cut away to give access to the large drum magazine and services. The gun cradle was elevated and depressed by a worm gear working through a reduction gear and clutch. Both control motors were operated from control handles in the glazed nose position; the gunner knelt in position and sighted the gun through a Mk.IIIA reflector sight, linked by a moving rod system to the elevation gear. The gun was cocked by a compressed-air system, the magazine holding 15 rounds, which could be reloaded from a 30-round ammuniiton box in the fuselage. On the right wall of the fuselage was a G.45 camera and footage indicator; the camera could be fitted to the gun cradle when needed. In the same position was an oxygen socket and an indicator lamp showing when the motor-generator was running.

When the prototype turret was installed in the Fortress the control system was found to be remarkably efficient. Vickers' liaison engineers tested the gun mounting, and the first air firing trials were organised. On 26 June 1944 the aircraft was flown to Llandwrog where a beached and derelict coaster was used as a target. Vickers' armour-piercing ammunition was fired and one shell penetrated two 12.7 mm (0.5 in) plates and one 9.5 mm (0.375 in) plate after striking the target from an angle of 40 degrees.

By the time the B.16 was completed the U-boats had been all but defeated by Coastal Command, and airborne rockets had proved to be an even more effective answer than heavy-calibre guns. Nevertheless, the B.16 turret proved that the Bristol all-electric system could be adapted to suit any turret.

Details of the Bristol Type B.16 Nose Turret

Position: Nose
Power source: Bristol all-electric system
Servo mechanism: Electric motors
Field of fire:
Traverse: 30 degrees to each beam
Depression: 45 degrees
Armament: One 40 mm (1.57 in) Vickers S gun
Ammunition: 15-round drum-type magazine
Gunsight: Mk.IIIA free-mounted reflector gun sight

The following aircraft were fitted with the Bristol Type B.16 Nose Turret

Aircraft type: Boeing B-17E Fortress Mk.IIA
Type & Mark: B.16 Mk.I
Position: Nose
Guns: 1 x 40 mm (1.57 in) Vickers S
Traverse: 60 degrees
Elevation: Nil
Depression: 45 degrees
Remarks: Prototype only

ATTACHMENTS
Bristol Type B.16 Mk.1 turret.jpg
Bristol Type B.16 Mk.1 turret.jpg (40.62 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
Interior detail of B.16 turret.jpg
Interior detail of B.16 turret.jpg (39.3 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
Bristol B.16 turet mounted on test rig.jpg
Bristol B.16 turet mounted on test rig.jpg (37.26 KiB) Viewed 2031 times

HTH

Derek

Edited by Derek B