Refinishing finished models - how many of you do this?

seiran01

I've been struggling lately to stay motivated on my Wingnut builds as well as the ju388 conversion, and started looking at the shelf of doom. What I'll be attempting to do over the next few months is finally finish the do335 and ho229 I started last year, as well as some Tamiya f-16s, but take at least one completed model and completely repaint it.

In this case, it'll be my Blue Angels hornet, to be repainted as a CAG bird, probably with the Two Bobs decals for the "AFLAC" f-18 from VFA-82. from there, we'll see how I proceed with other kits. Have any of you ever done this before, just become sick of seeing the same plane in your display case day after day, and repainted it?

I used to wet'n'dry and re-spray 1/48 scale kits back in the 1980s if they became tired (sometimes due to my smoking a pipe in the study area) or because my standards raised. A NMF Thai Cobra Hun became Don Schmenk's Vietnam warbird in greens, tan and light grey, a Michigan ANG F-4C became modded as a Carswell, Texas AFRES ARN-92 Towel Rail smart bomber, and so on.

Nowadays, no. 1/32 is too work intensive to warrant that (repairs, yes, but what's done is done and new time is for new kits) and I'm finding it's better just to take one's time and do it properly in the first place.

Refreshing an old subject with some additional details such as a new stores load-out can be fun though.

Tony

I do it.

Nearly 2 years ago i started with this Hobby (prior i built 28mm Miniatures, you know.. the awful expensive Games Workshop thingies) and had never used an airbrush before so my first models were... well done for beginners but not for me. I always wanted them to be great.

At the beginning for example i've used the old green stuff i've found in my hobbybox but it really wasn't usefull to get rid of the seams etc.. but over time i've read so many infos in forums, watched youtube videos and was able to improve my "standards" i was really frustrated knowing there are the old (in my eyes bad) planes in my cabinet.

All in all i've rebuilt 2 planes completly (stripped the paint, reworked the canopy, added some scratched details, you know the dance) and improved 2 more.

cheers Chris

I would contemplate it only if 1. the old kit looked terrible, 2. there where no unbuilt kit found to be bought 3. i cared. Interests move on. Today i love messerschmitts, a few years from now maybe i only buy swedish subjects.

So, we still have some doubters, it seems! Fair enough. But I'll post another of my rebuild efforts anyway. Airfix's 1/48 Bf 109F kit.

Before:

Airfix109F1.jpg

After:

DSCF2501.jpg

Much better paint job, but I screwed up the dihedral, unfortunately.

Kev