1/32 Trumpeter EE Lightning F.Mk.6 XS904

Derek B

A couple of pictures of the completed UHF aerial.

CjP6Ate.jpg

gocJoxP.jpg

I took the opportunity to repair the earlier damage to the canopy jack and deflector plate at the top of the rear bulkhead.

WZftoVk.jpg

Whilst trying to bend and straighten the Aerocraft resin internal canopy condenser detail, I accidentally damaged it. I have cut the condenser and aft bulkhead away and will attach them directly to the inside top of the canopy later.

PKu3Ree.jpg

XuOrneX.jpg

Lately, I have been busy making the bits that live above the cockpit coaming and inside the windscreen. Also, my only concession to an aftermarket part during this build is the excellent Aerocraft replacement clear resin windscreen and canopy set - this is my compromise to not correcting the kit canopy shape (the Aerocraft canopy and windscreen is much better detailed, particularly the framing, than the kit items, even though it is the same size and shape).

This is the first time I have used clear resin parts, so I am learning here. Also another first for me is polishing a kit canopy and windscreen, let alone a resin one! For this, I used Tamiya's medium and finish polish compound paste. I am pleased to report that it worked well. For the final finish, I gave the windscreen and canopy a coat of automobile Auto Glym was liquid polish (this appears to be similar to the Ultra Model Products finish wax). I also decided to try the provided Aerocraft vinyl masks on the inside of the canopy to spray the internal colours then reapply them onto the outside again later.

bwAWgTy.jpg

yZHhAxI.jpg

HkWO3PF.jpg

New (scratch built) windscreen instruments. From left to right: Electrical socket, standby direction indicator, accelerometer and E2B standby compass.

t7itO9n.jpg

GZxxdbK.jpg

jYQw3Nb.jpg

XnTHXcw.jpg

MPYrHU0.jpg

Construction of the accelerometer. A typical number of fabricated parts were also required for some of the other instruments.

RF5mMAE.jpg

V6LmXS9.jpg

Derek