1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

airscale

Hi Peter,

You continue to amaze us with each new update - inspirational and instructive.

Regarding the rudder; are you certain it was metal skinned? My impression was that all of the piston powered Grumman 'cats had taut fabric covered control surfaces. And that close-up photo of the warbird seems to convey such a configuration, with cloth tape across stitches - but I don't assert anything positively.

I bring it up more out of curiosity. Regardless of the actual materials used on the prototype, the rudder you've fabricated for the model looks very convincing indeed.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Rich

Edited by allthumbs

Regarding the rudder; are you certain it was metal skinned? My impression was that all of the piston powered Grumman 'cats had taut fabric covered control surfaces. And that close-up photo of the warbird seems to convey such a configuration, with cloth tape across stitches - but I don't assert anything positively.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Rich

Astounding work Peter!

Mine as well

do you know what chaps, I think you are right - I found these pics of a Hellcat and it certainly looks like fabric over a frame so will go with that. I have emailed an F7F owner to see if they have any diagrams / info but will work on the assumption this is the case..

thanks for saving me from an(other) epic fail :mental:

WIP572_zpsqusjxfjo.jpg

WIP571_zpsvcgd6as3.jpg

Thanks

Peter

Peter,

I think it's safe to say the rudder was fabric covered.  You wouldn't see tape on an all metal rudder.   Just the heads of flush rivets.  And the bumps are usually Philip head screws holding the fabric to the frame and then the tape applied over it.  Your making a museum quality model and it never gets tiring looking for updates !

Peter, I don't know if you have seen this but it may provide some more details for you build. I find Avialogs very useful for scratchbuilding. 

Keep up the phenomenal work!  :piliot:

Paul

http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/aircraft/usa/grumman/f-7ftigercat/an-01-85fa-1-pilot-s-handbook-for-f7f-1n-f7f-2n-f7f-3-f7f-3n-f7f-4n-airplanes.html

anyone got any ideas or theories how this was done?

this is the elevator from Guillermo Rojas Bazan's incredible Kingfisher in 1/16th scale

WIP579_zpsjs7xn2ug.jpg

..what material might that be and how on earth was such a fine 'pinking' cut made for the zigzag edges?

any ideas or comments most welcome as I am a bit stuck on this...

TTFN
Peter

Hi Peter,

anyone got any ideas or theories how this was done?

how on earth was such a fine 'pinking' cut made for the zigzag edges?

any ideas or comments most welcome as I am a bit stuck on this...

TTFN
Peter

I've not read that particular build but I have seen other Rojas Bazan builds and knowing that gentleman's work he might have made a tool specially for the job.

Have you come across any sheer fabrics that might lend themselves to the task of skinning the control surfaces of your Tigercat?

My cousin's partner does lady's nails and she uses an adhesive fabric with a resin to give strength (please don't ask how it works, I don't know). I wonder if it is available in the beauty section of Boots or similar?

Maybe Mrs. Airscale could shed some light on the subject?

I was given a small sample to try and was going to use it to replicate linen on a Sopwith Camel but lost the piece I was given.

Just a thought.

From the photo that you've posted the material looks as though it might even be a very thin heat shrunk/stretched plastic film... :hmmm:

Edited by geedubelyer

You might be able to do that with matte finish mylar, like the type we use to draft on back in the "old days". I still have a stash of it that I use for scratching stuff and making patterns. You can bend it and put patterns in it very easily, and it paints wonderfully. You might be able to find it at an art supply store, though it is not used much anymore. Otherwise, I could dig mine out and mail you some if you want to try it.

The only other idea I have is shrunken silk.

Tim

Peter,

Check out www.pink-it.net. They make various size pinking tape for rc scale aircraft. They may have something close. As for what's underneath the tape, prior to using sheet metal screws, the fabric was secured to the ribs with stitching line. In a small scale maybe a piece of fine thread secured under your tape for the correct illusion.

Matt