1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

airscale

Very nice exhausts, and another tip filed for my modelling-skills improvement program ;).

It may be just a visual issue, but the engine looks just a fraction too far back in the cowling to my eye. Shouldn't the front of the reduction gear case be more-or-less aligned with the lip of the cowling ?

Keep-up the excellent work !

Hubert

Peter, you are in the wrong game mate....you should be working on real aeroplanes!!

Simply amazing...

Anthony, the truth is, he's been having us on all along! He IS working on a real aeroplane. He's just figured out how to photograph his work in such a way that it looks smaller than it really is!

I figured it out didn't I Peter?

Cheers,

Wolf

evening folks :)

Very nice exhausts, and another tip filed for my modelling-skills improvement program ;).

It may be just a visual issue, but the engine looks just a fraction too far back in the cowling to my eye. Shouldn't the front of the reduction gear case be more-or-less aligned with the lip of the cowling ?

Keep-up the excellent work !

Hubert

Hi Hubert - thanks for checking in on me and keeping me on the right track! thankfully the engine is just dry fitted so there is some play and yes, I think the front bolt ring on the crankcase is in line with the cowling lip - will make sure I glue it that way :)

Anthony, the truth is, he's been having us on all along! He IS working on a real aeroplane. He's just figured out how to photograph his work in such a way that it looks smaller than it really is!

I figured it out didn't I Peter?

Cheers,
Wolf

oh no - I have been found out :wicked: ... anyway, on with the pretending....

..finished the exhausts on this nacelle - going to be a lot more complicated having to make all the pipes themselves on the other one - need to find some sort of workable tube for that..

..on this side it is all fakery behind the scenes..

WIP1078_zpsyfzic7y1.jpg

..I added a bit of wash & powder and might just leave them like this..

WIP1077_zps3nciskwd.jpg

..next up, I wanted to start detailing inside the U/C bays and spent a while trying to make formers for all the half-bulkheads from paper templates and it was a lot of faffing about - then I thought about the vac-form master...

WIP1080_zpsl7z45t4v.jpg

..I thought as I had made the nacelles from it, the best cross sections on the planet to fit inside it are these :coolio:... so I cut it into sections and used each section as a template to make up the bulkhead part..

WIP1081_zpslvv8o8do.jpg

..I started at the back of the nacelle - you can see some of the shapes needed - the bulkhead at the back of the U/C opening itself can be seen - its a sort of pressing with three vertical strakes and two round raised 'bumps'..

WIP1079_zpslitiwddt.jpg

..made a roof to start with - this was all like keyhole surgery, especially adding some of the framework in the rear tip of the nacelle..

WIP1082_zpspgmynuon.jpg

..then fettled the first bulkhead to fit and sketched out what went where - the lower panel shape is also sort of canted in the direction of the wing dihedral so caught that too - there are dimensional differences as my U/C bay roof is the bottom of the wing - on the real F7F it is the top wing skin...

WIP1083_zps2yjfsdnp.jpg

..i made up the plastic shape, embossed a small sheet of litho and filled the embossed shapes with CA to protect them from crushing and then added the plastic part to the litho. Then just scored around it and broke away the waste litho and with a bit of finishing one side is done...

WIP1084_zpskysgnyn0.jpg

..it will all be made to look right around the edges later on...

WIP1085_zps7ucr5dqy.jpg

thats all for now..

TTFN

Peter