Sad News: Roy Cross Has Passed Away

Only a couple of weeks after his 100th birthday, legendary box art artist Roy has reported passed away today. I can't find anything more definitive than a Facebook post from another artist, but I have no reason to doubt the veracity of the report.

For those of you who aren't aware, Roy Cross did much of the iconic box art for Airfix that many of us grew up with and were inspired by.

Post your favourite Roy Cross box art below. Here's one of mine:

0d33360c2a96640bae077e8cdcc3a671.jpg

Blue skies, Roy.

Kev

Posted (edited)

Very, very sad to hear!

I have bought many, many Airfix kits only because the boxart grabbed me so hard.

A few examples, the B-17G "A bit O´Lace" fighting against a gang of fighters, The Wellington low down at water level, , one enginge burninig and a pair of 109´s just waiting for the final kill, The Lancaster "G" for George coming home at dawn, shot to pieces and one enginge burning, The Sunderland fighting a Condor over the sea, and many many more.

IMG_8972

Thanks Roy for all the good and happy memories from my younger years!

Blue skies, Roy!

Stefan :wub::(

Edited by Phantom2

I've been thinking a lot about the impact that Airfix's box art had on me as a nascent modeller in my youth, and even continues to have today - not just through nostalgia, which is real enough, but also because Roy's artwork still holds up today, and still evokes all the same feelings that it did all those years ago. And with the hobby being such an important part of my life for more than 50 years now, to the extent that even when I had long stretches away from the hobby, I still considered myself a modeller, Roy's passing feels rather more significant on a personal level than it otherwise might, even though he was, for all intents and purposes, a complete stranger.

To that end, I've decided to do a tribute build, featuring the only Airfix kit I have that features Roy's box art: the venerable Handley Page H.P 42 Heracles in 1/144 scale.

I purchased this kit only recently, and now it has a purpose. My friends Graham Mahoney and Geoff Coughlin have both built this kit in recent times, so there's some added inspiration there. I'll start a build thread in the Non-LSP forum soon.

Kev

Oops, I inadvertently posted the post above in K2's Revell Bf 109F topic! Just moved it here where I meant to post it in the first place. I've just started a new build thread:

Kev