Sad News: Roy Cross Has Passed Away

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 1:38 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

I've been thinking a lot about the impact that Airfix's box art had on me as a nascent modeller in my youth, and even continues to have today - not just through nostalgia, which is real enough, but also because Roy's artwork still holds up today, and still evokes all the same feelings that it did all those years ago. And with the hobby being such an important part of my life for more than 50 years now, to the extent that even when I had long stretches away from the hobby, I still considered myself a modeller, Roy's passing feels rather more significant on a personal level than it otherwise might, even though he was, for all intents and purposes, a complete stranger.

To that end, I've decided to do a tribute build, featuring the only Airfix kit I have that features Roy's box art: the venerable Handley Page H.P 42 Heracles in 1/144 scale.

I purchased this kit only recently, and now it has a purpose. My friends Graham Mahoney and Geoff Coughlin have both built this kit in recent times, so there's some added inspiration there. I'll start a build thread in the Non-LSP forum soon.

Kev

Well Said That Man! 100% Kev. 

I can only agree that along with a one or two other artists Roy’s influence over a whole generation of kids was utterly remarkable. Along with the ‘Dogfight Double’ Mosquito being chased by two Me262’s, this 1968 image of Free French Blenheim MkIV’s by Roy was the one that entranced me for years.  I kept both box tops above my workbench for a long time.

scV9Ur.jpg

If there were a GB in honor of Roy Cross, I’d sign up for it: The only rule being that you have to build the markings of the aircraft on the box top. Sadly there is no 1/32 Blenheim MKIV…..but there is a Mosquito and a 262…(or could we have an exception to LSP’s in one GB and build whatever Airfix Kit  in whatever scale we have that features his inimitable artwork)? Just thinking out loud. 

sJX05a.jpg

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by Archimedes

I have the book of Roy Cross Airfix illustrations, but it wasn't until I read Arthur Wards book on Airfix that I realised I also had a copy of Jets of the World where Roy Cross had done almost all of the half tone illustrations in that as well, indeed, it was one of the first big commission projects he did. Grey tones they may be, but they are fablus!  Def not sending these books to the charity shop!!

2 hours ago, wunwinglow said:

I have the book of Roy Cross Airfix illustrations, but it wasn't until I read Arthur Wards book on Airfix that I realised I also had a copy of Jets of the World where Roy Cross had done almost all of the half tone illustrations in that as well, indeed, it was one of the first big commission projects he did. Grey tones they may be, but they are fablus!  Def not sending these books to the charity shop!!

…and that has now prompted me to go and find a copy! Thank Tim!

Kind regards,
Paul 

Posted (edited)

As I replied to the Britmodeller thread, the box art does take me back to a Junior school Dennis looking at the Airfix counter in the Woolworths shop handily across the road from his school, this was the start of a love affair with this hobby that has continued to this day.

Sadly though Airfix do not have 1/32 kits in their range, though there is a very tempting 1/24 scale Spitfire IX.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc