Revell F-14A

After my disasterous Tamiya F-14 adventure I'm left craving a Tomcat on the shelf. I don't like the stance/looks of the Trumpeter one, so I bought a Revell F-14A. Since I obviously have more money than sense, I also bought Reskit's landing gear intended for the Trumpeter kit, and see if I can get away with it. From the design point it seems easier to adapt than the version for the Tamiya one. I will only attempt this later in the build so that I can sell an intact set if it can't be done (with my limited skill set).

At least one Revell F-14A has been actually completed in history: the one on the box art :D I did not find many finished Revell Tomcat builds, hope this does not heed bad news.

dWGKkBF.jpg?1

I made a start with the cockpit, dressing up the seats with Quinta's GRU-7A set. The set is not available for the Revell Tomcat, so I will adapt this Trumpeter set a bit. 100% accuracy is not my goal. I will also add a few bits like I did with the Revell F-4E.

j8pmhw9.jpg

The Reskit gear set is simply stunning...

mRs2okX.jpg

mmC3R3q.jpg

ujmJSsn.jpg

tBvz5fH.jpg

There's warpage on some parts. Looks like this is not going to be an easy build.

NDu9UUL.jpg

rGK9HpJ.jpg

IP's and tub are well detailed, with some careful and clever painting and highlighting it will look good.

vLXyGyh.jpg

The scribing is quite heavy on this kit. I will not try to reduce it other than with visual effects (paint and weathering). Would have loved scibing like their F-4E/G has, but what can you do...

lS2gK02.jpg

She will be dressed like this:

NpNFwxm.png

Cheers!

23 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Exciting project. 

Good luck. 

Thank you. Looks like I'll be needing some of that.

20 hours ago, easixpedro said:

Good luck. I ended up binning mine. The wings were so warped that the looked like wavy potato chips. Not enough time in this life for me to finish it.

Merci!The parst do llok challebging in the box. We'll see how far I can take it.

16 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Definitely looks like some elbow grease needed. Have fun Leon.  :coolio::popcorn:

Thanks Mike, the Phantom did too, but a  lot of love overcame most of the problems. I hope I can repeat that with this one.

I built one back in the…. 90’s? I think?? I seem to recall it was an easy and fun build. I don’t have it anymore (might have lost it in the divorce as my X liked it)

recently used the Reskit gear on a Trumpeter D it’s well worth the getting!

Nice start on this old lady. The detail might not be up to scratch by today standards but with a little bit of TLC she can surely be build into an attractive model. Good luck & lot's of fun with this one.

Kind regards,

Rudy.

P.S.:

Those sure are some sweet sexy reskit leg's...   :D

I took a little break from the seats and started painting the IPs and consoles. I must say Revell did a good job here, deatils are quite nice and really really close to the real deal when compared to photos.

9yqiuvv.jpg

I unpacked the decals. Revell's are somewhat yellowed which is to be expected in a box this old. The tail markings in the Uprise set come as masks. They are intended for Tamiya / Trumpeter so I'll have to see about the fit. I will scan them befor use so I can modify the design in Silhouette Studio if necessary and cut new ones. Well first I will have to get the kit together :rolleyes: The Milspec stencil sheet is not very extensive but I'll see what I can use.

2FxxiGF.jpg

Cheers!