Revell F-14A

1 hour ago, Grunticus said:

I took a little break from the seats and started painting the IPs and consoles. I must say Revell did a good job here, deatils are quite nice and really really close to the real deal when compared to photos.

9yqiuvv.jpg

I unpacked the decals. Revell's are somewhat yellowed which is to be expected in a box this old. The tail markings in the Uprise set come as masks. They are intended for Tamiya / Trumpeter so I'll have to see about the fit. I will scan them befor use so I can modify the design in Silhouette Studio if necessary and cut new ones. Well first I will have to get the kit together :rolleyes: The Milspec stencil sheet is not very extensive but I'll see what I can use.

2FxxiGF.jpg

Cheers!

Oh ya! Gonna be great!

building the new(er) Revell F/A 18 right now, I think they’ve regressed instead of progressed with their kits

Cockpit detailing is almost complete. No glue and final coat yet, as I want to tweak the weathering further, it's too inconsistant now.

VwTI5z8.jpg

One thing missing in this kit is a throttle. I have fabricated something resembling the real one slightly, but good enough for me. It will get e few nobs as well later on.

YtWO2kM.jpg

Test-fitting the fuselage parts shows it will not be a cake-walk. Alignment is off, and there will be stress on the seams.

hr7NMOP.jpg

28En4Io.jpg

nkq6Y3m.jpg

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Shujaa said:

The pit is coming together nicely buddy. ;)

Might a hair-dryer treatment take care of the stress in the plastic ?

Kind regards,

Rudy.

It might Rudy. I will ha a go forst and see what happens. I beat the Phantom, so...:lol:

I have spent some more time on the Tomcat. The front fuselage is now attached to the top hind fuselage. Fit is very good, much better than with Tamiya's kit. That goes for the nose cone as well. I dry-fitted the lower hind fuselage and it seems things are not as bad as I initially feard at all. Fit is just fine. I think I will have no trouble closing this up, bar the normal seam filling and sansing.

But, before I do that I am goint to inprove a few things. For starter all navigation lights. I will cut them open /off and replace them with reg and green acrylic parts sanded to shape. I will also paint the wings before installation.

ywVfea6.jpg

ldsCsWT.jpg

3sTeFxM.jpg

The Uprise decals are of the, as they call it, FFA variety. The carrier film is printed on top of the decals and covers the whole sheet. You cut a decal out, apply it in the traditional fasion, let it dry 24 hrs, and then finally pull off the carrier film. This leaves decals that show no carrier film at all.

I tested it on a scrap part and it works fine. As you can see you must take care and press the decal onto the model firmly and thouroughly. Pulling off the film also needs TLC. You get a better result that with traditional decals, but there is a higher chance of user error, as seen below

oAIpWWz.jpg

Cheers!

After working on the seats for a while I decided I did not like them (the Quinta set is too different for a Revell Cat) and looked for replacements. I came across a set from 3DF, a Greek manufacturer of which I never heard before. They are 3d printed seats. They arrived today and I must say they look amazing!

hu8GI6W.jpg

The visible texture below is due to the low-light photo, they are as smooth as glass, see photo after this one.

DVxGfgY.jpg

9iTErTK.jpg

My poor eyes and shaky old hands will have a ball getting these painted. The belts are real bealts! 3D-printed! Amazing.

Work on the nav lights is progressing.

BJX8JIu.jpg?1

For the glove light I pressed heated colored acrylic into the opened-up hole. Thoug it did work it's not perfect. I will try another appraoch for the rest.

kkXlXVY.jpg

Cheers!

Hey Leon,

nice to see & read that You are having a bit of fun with the old Revell Lady.   ;)

As for the Uprise decals:

Eduard & HGW also use these type of decals and there are some interresting reviews on You Tube which are certainly worthy of a few minutes of Your time. Just look for something like "Eduard new decals review" and I'm sure You'll hit something.

Sweet seats !!!

Have fun my friend.

Kind regards, Rudy.

Edited by Shujaa
typo

12 hours ago, Shujaa said:

Hey Leon,

nice to see & read that You are having a bit of fun with the old Revell Lady.   ;)

As for the Uprise decals:

Eduard & HGW also use these type of decals and there are some interresting reviews on You Tube which are certainly worthy of a few minutes of Your time. Just look for something like "Eduard new decals review" and I'm sure You'll hit something.

Sweet seats !!!

Have fun my friend.

Kind regards, Rudy.

Thanks Rudy, will do. The test decal learnt me a lot already.

12 hours ago, eoyguy said:

Just an FYI, and overall wet sanding to reduce down the depth of the panel lines helps on all the older Revell big birds. Did the same on my F-15 and they look much better,though to be fair, the lines on it are slightly better than the Tomcats

Thanks, I did notice this when sanding the vertical stabilizers and I will do this for the whole airframe. I have the F-15 as well, and it has better panel lines than the F-14 does.

6 hours ago, Jim Kong Un said:

Same with me, sanded her down significantly and avoided a lot of dark wash to cut down on overzealous recessed lines 

"Overzealous"...indeed, wish they had showed some more restraint were. Some extra sanding will tone them down I hope.

1 hour ago, alaninaustria said:

Great job on an old bird! I really wanted to build mine, but the wings are so warped - how did you manage to get yours so straight?

nice job! Looking forward to seeing her finished!

Cheers

Alan

Thank you! I guess I just got lucky, the wings are just fine. The fuselage showed some warping on the first test-fit, but in the end it's not too bad at all.

Miss Molly had a chin-pod with an integrated ALQ-100 and TCS. Revell's kit show an earlier chin-pod without those (plus it's shape is completely wrong). I have searched but can't find aftermartket that covers this, so I will have to scratch-build one.

This is what I will have to replace the kit one with. Option 5 is what I'm after (late -A / early -B). Does anyone have a photo of what the backside looks like?

FVZq4Vx.png

The whole family of chin-pods:

sjTPsrX.png

Cheers!