Wingnut WIngs Felixstowe F2A Early Version

Here's the final photos of the Wingnut Wings Felixstowe I completed. I had posted a few pictures earlier in the WIP Section but these are much better shots.

This particular model was completed as aircraft 4291, a Saunders built machine delivered to Killinghome on 4/20/1918. This aircraft, under the command of TC Patterson abd AH Munday, shot down Zeppelin L62 over Heligoland on May 10. In July of '18, she was transfered to the fledgling US Naval Air Service, after which it was painted overall black and had spot lamps mounted under the wings for nighttime operations. 4291 came to an inglorious end (along with the US Sailor responsible) when said sailor used a match to check the fuel level in the main tank.

Felix%20Finala%2002_zpsv7wkieb5.jpg

Felix%20Finala%2009_zpshw9nub4f.jpg

Felix%20Finala%2013_zpsoplrs54w.jpg

Felix%20Finala%2015_zpsbrpmo4q7.jpg

Felix%20Finala%2019_zpsvs4etaac.jpg

Felix%20Finala%2020_zps67dslos5.jpg

Felix%20Finala%2025_zpstz4pwbex.jpg

Seeing as this beast is too big to use my regular photo setup with, I had to shoot it outside on a cloudy day. Just as I snapped the pic a fortuitous gust of wind came along. Great timing.

Felix%20Finala%2026_zpsr1pz3rxp.jpg

Running up Engine 1.

Felix%20Finala%2036_zps60lfndxk.jpg

Felix%20Finala%2042_zpscj9osjyt.jpg

I chose to model her as she would have appeared just before being painted black, as the natural look of the wood and linen was more appealing to me than any of the dazzle schemes. I hope you like it and as always, feedback, comments and critiques welcome.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by Mike Robinson

Thank you for all the comments guys, I appreciate them very much.

I'd love to publish it on the website if you'd permit me.

Of course Kevin, I'm honored you would ask, feel free to publish it or any of the posts from the WIP thread.

I'm definitely going to have to get one of these. How's that for being inspired. Awesome pics too. Must have been fun to move around though.

Ah ha... I knew you'd cave eventually Wolf lol. I'm flattered it inspired you. In spite of its size it's not that bad to work on, just make sure you clear LOTS of room on your bench. Moving it isn't too bad, as the assembly jig I made for it doubles as a transport cradle.

Followed this all the way, turned out great, awesome build!!

Thanks Brent. Coming from someone that has flogged one of these things that means a lot.

I have another in the stash I am going to convert to a Curtiss H-16 with two Liberty's in place of the Eagles, done in US Navy Yellow wings gray fuselage. I'll start that one later this fall, and use lessons learned from this build and apply it to that one. Stay tuned.

Cheers

Mike