HK Models Bristol Beaufighter?

2 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Indeed where is it? A very good question, passed over AGAIN ! In light of that I'll take the Beau, it'll fit on my shelf. A very aggressive aircraft and different enough in design[ 2 engines being chased by an airplane, I love it]. The bf-110G , P-51B/C, and Griffon engine spits seem to be the ones that are ignored[?], despite the fact that I see numerous requests on not just this forum but a lot of the others too.

:D “Two engines being chased by an aeroplane”:D

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Kind regards,
Paul

13 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

A 1/32 Beaufighter would absolutely be right in HK's wheelhouse. That would be a wise release on their part.

A 109E, I'm not too sure. It would likely be more expensive than the Cyberhobby/Hobby 2000 kit, which is a darn nice kit. I'd like for them to stick to stuff that other manufacturers haven't touched yet. I'm also not sure, however, if their A-20 sales have been very robust. They seemed to make it onto the "Lightning Deals" section of Sprue Brothers rather quickly, and have shown up in other sales quite frequently.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

All is not what it seems.B)

5 hours ago, Royboy said:

All is not what it seems.B)

The thought occurred to me that HK Models want to placate the jet fans by giving us an accurate 1:48 FG.1/FGR.2 — and that would be more than okay too, as it could happen quite quickly. Obviously wishful thinking, but I don't want Airfix tackling the F-4's canopy. Their penchant for non aerodynamic chunky framing is dire. 

I don't see the 109E being a HK Models candidate. The thing doesn't fit in and is a complete yellow fish. The subject of the photo is the scanner with the Lancaster in the distance. 

A Beaufighter would surely sell well, particularly if the kit offered different observer arrangements, exhausts, cowling inlets, noses etc in one box with a big decal sheet, rather than in piddly instalments. We aren't getting younger! We need it now! 

Tony 

Okay, so let's talk about what we know: The scanner was most definitely scanning the Beaufighter.

Having used FARO scanners often in my previous job as a crime scene investigator, I can tell you that the scanner is effective in about a 15-25 foot radius around the unit. It takes somewhere in the realm of 30,000 photos per cycle, and recreates them into a dome of photos that you can then navigate on a computer as if you where were. You move it around what you're scanning to get various angles and all the nooks and crannies, then tie the scans together in a computer program, and viola, a perfect 3D, using photos, depicting of your object. You can also grab measurements directly from your scans. Accuracy is to within .3mm (I'm not joking, it's impressive).

I would find it hard to believe that HK, a company in Asia, would fly staff all the way to Hendon in the UK just for $hits and giggles. I'd say this is pretty confident evidence that they are taking a good, long, hard look at giving us a Beaufighter in our beloved 1/32.

As for the other aircraft there, unless I see a photo of the scanner actively working directly near a plane, I'm not buying it. They seem to indicate they were scanning several aircraft, but the only one we know for sure is the Beau. I agree with others here, I think the photo near the 109 is just to show the scanner, as it's not actively "at work" scanning the 109.

I also agree with others here, and to bridge a few threads that are active (Eduard 1/32 releases) on LSP, I think HK should stick to their wheelhouse of multi-engined WWII stuff. Bring us a Beau. Take a stab at a B-26. Fix Hobby Boss' terrible error and do the A-26. Leave the single-engine stuff to the likes of ICM, Eduard (pretty please), and Hasegawa (probably not happening) and Tamiya (probably definitely not happening).

Exciting times ahead!

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

If I were a model company going to a museum to scan a plane, I would never only scan just one plane.  I do not know how long it takes to gather the physical data but I would collect data on two or more planes, one your competition thinks you might be up to something, two you never know when you might want the data and you are there.  Maybe someday it might be desirable to do a 109 in this case now or 10 years from now but you are there and gathering the data essentially costs nothing that you are already expending.  If time permitted I would scan every worthwhile plane in the building.  There may only be two in this museum that HK wants data on but if there were 5 and I were there I would want the data on all of them.  Costs typically go up over time, so gathering the data in future will probably only cost more money.

2 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

If I were a model company going to a museum to scan a plane, I would never only scan just one plane.  I do not know how long it takes to gather the physical data but I would collect data on two or more planes, one your competition thinks you might be up to something, two you never know when you might want the data and you are there.  Maybe someday it might be desirable to do a 109 in this case now or 10 years from now but you are there and gathering the data essentially costs nothing that you are already expending.  If time permitted I would scan every worthwhile plane in the building.  There may only be two in this museum that HK wants data on but if there were 5 and I were there I would want the data on all of them.  Costs typically go up over time, so gathering the data in future will probably only cost more money.

Couldn't agree more. It takes about an hour or so to scan something as large as a Beaufighter (externally, not counting interior scans), so why not maximize your time while you are there. Would be silly not to, as we're talking mere additional hours vs. more time, plane tickets, etc in the future.

Also not sure if HK owns their own FARO scanners, or if they rent them. A few years ago, a brand new FARO scanner cost about $45k. And we had three of them at the PD. It was hell if you broke or dropped one, just ask my old coworker Kyle. He dropped one on a scene, and just to send it back to FARO to look at and diagnose any problems (not repair), was $8k.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

2 hours ago, Finn said:

No they aren't doing the Beaufighter, they are just scanning the engines so they can come out with a Lancaster MK. II. :D

Sure do love the look of the Mk. II! I have the old Paragon conversion (along with the bulged bomb bay doors and remote turret) which I will be grafting onto HK's lovely 1/48 Lancaster at some point.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA