Star Wars Y wing

Dandiego

Having been a strictly airplane guy for the last 40 years this build is a big step....sideways.

I have always liked the Y wing and have always wanted to build one. But a big one. The only IM kit is a Bandai 1:72. Nice but small.

So while wandering one of the 3d print sites I saw some Y wing files for sale. $25. What a deal. The transaction was simple and 10 minutes later I had the files.

In all of my research I came across a term that I was unfamiliar with, Studio scale. Essentially this is the scale that was used to produce the movie miniatures that were used in the movies. Or 1:24th scale. Cool. Nice and big.

The downloaded files were in 1:18th scale. Even I am not this crazy. Well, at least not yet. So after doing some math I determined that if the files were reduced to 75% it would be 1:24th scale.

So I reduced the size and began preparing the files in my slicer. However, many of the parts are way too big to fit my smallish resin printer. This necessitated printing the smaller parts on the resin Machine and the main body parts on my filament machine.

Anyway here are the first parts. Both printed on my filament machine.

T6BcFEU.jpg

WiJ9H3q.jpg

Stay tuned. lots o fun ahead.

Dan

Here are the next pieces that have come off of the printer.

I have completed the rear fuselage and am working on the engine pods.

bMaZd5G.jpg

Different colors on the prints as I changed filament spools. The head of the model has been sanded vigorously. The print lines from the FDM printer were very prominent. It also has a coat of primer, or 2. White squares are small patches of white sheet plastic added to replicate the details seen from several sources. I have added a few white pipes with many more to follow. As I researched Y wings I think I can honestly say that no 2 are exactly alike. Detail differences abound and paint work is quite varied.

Several collectors are in pursuit of the perfect movie model. This will not be one of those.

YCSybVG.jpg

The method that the designer used for the long "T" connectors was practical for ease of printing but not for construction.  I have replaced them with Evergreen T shaped rails.

v36KMi4.jpg

A closeup view of the engine pod shows many unacceptable print lines. I may need to find a way to print the engines on my resin printer. Stay tuned.

Although the basic Y wing file was only $25, many areas lack sufficient detail for such a large scale model. Luckily you can purchase detail parts to add to your model. I have looked at nearly a dozen of these detail packages. Most are in the $20 range. You can easily get lost in the weeds purchasing all of these parts. Perhaps this is the designers game plan. Purchase the basic kit for $25 and end up spending over $200 in detail parts. Not gonna work with me. I will design and print out whatever extra parts that I need.

Dan

39 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

Really nice project! Somewhere in the stash I have a resin Y-Wing, 1/48th I believe. I can't believe you are doing it in 1/24th! I think mine was mastered by Alfred Wong.

1:24th! Y not? 

Looking for a really nice display that has presence. This will do the trick.

Dan

Posted (edited)

Well here is the filament printed engine pod. Test fitting the T shaped supports. I will definitely be reprinting these pods, just too many layer lines to get rid of. 

Gab5B8X.jpg

Here are some of my custom made Greeblies. These will go on the back of the fuselage cockpit section.

wttc8HQ.jpg

And here are some of my detail parts for the cockpit.

uIPeoWF.jpg

That's it, Dan

Edited by Dandiego

I have been looking online for any free STL files that might come in handy for this build.

Found some, I have.

In addition to a Rebel pilot figure, I have come across a whole slew of "greeblies".

Greeblies was a term used for random parts, from whatever source, that could be used to add detail to a movie model. Downloaded from Thingaverse they are printing now.

Dan

Greeblies!

I found some free Greeblies. Here they are printed out. These will go a long way toward adding some "organic" detail to the model.

h9iC2Ht.jpg

VbNdz6y.jpg

Reprinted on my resin machine. Much better.

hZzpDfP.jpg

nszVtKG.jpg

Gluing the Port engine on. On the starboard side you can see the support wires.

18JtNnE.jpg

Later, Dan

Todays update.

A lot has happened in the last day or so. 

Here are some photos of the cockpit and pilot. Pilot is a free download.

q3dnzvM.jpg

And a little paint. More work to follow.

mF693N0.jpg

MmhBjyi.jpg

LAZ6Qi3.jpg

I have finished basic construction and have begun painting. First a flat black base coat with some medium grey highlights.

alzjrua.jpg

Eu9zXQW.jpg

T1KbiIj.jpg

Tomorrow I will begin the final white finish coat.

Dan