Hawker Hurricane K5083: the prototype

Ok, I’ll kick things off! I’m on a bit of a Hurricane roll* at the moment having recently completed a PCM BoB 56 Squadron MkI model, and currently doing the new tool Revell IIB as a Hurribomber of 175 Squadron, but I’ve always wanted to do the Hurricane prototype K5083. It’s very shiny and silver, so why not now (ish).

I’ll be using the PCM early fabric-wing model as my base with a few modifications, the most challenging being the simplified canopy hood. 

dK2PIX.png

bXtL3P.jpg

Watch this space. :D

* and the final one will be this:

btNdYh.jpg

A Hurricane Mk I of the Rhodesian Air Training Group circa 1944 using the Fly Trop kit.

Edited by mozart

1 hour ago, Archimedes said:

Max! 

I see now that G-ANFM was but a warm up on NMF for this for you. I know you will do K5083 justice! 

:popcorn::popcorn:

Kind regards,

Paul

This was the warm up Paul and a very close relative of the Hurricane…..Hawker’s Demon: 

mK3pUf.jpg

40 minutes ago, mozart said:

This was the warm up Paul and a very close relative of the Hurricane…..Hawker’s Demon: 

mK3pUf.jpg

Indeed - your NMF looks flawless! With the top wing not yet in place it is easy to visualize the Hurricane form. 

Kind regards,

Paul

This is a project I've long wanted to do myself, and I even earmarked an old Revell kit for the job. In fact, I went as far as to create a build thread - 7 years ago!

I'm sure you'll be much better than me at actually getting the thing done, but perhaps I should follow in your lead. Good luck, Max. I'll be following along!

Kev

Posted (edited)

Haven’t actually cut plastic yet but assessing what I need to do for the conversion. The Bentley drawings give quite a lot of details including the changes that K5083 went through from first flight to Acceptance Trials at Martlesham Heath. A couple of extracts:

ODDCmX.jpg

Ngi2SK.jpg

NWBIK0.jpg

I’m reading Mason’s excellent book about the Hurricane in which he gives a detailed step by step account of its development including comments by test pilots. I know that the first Merlin fitted was a “C” and that the nose didn’t have the later characteristic bumps but there’s no mention of a slightly “squarer” profile that I read about some time ago, though I have to say it’s barely discernible in all the pictures that I have studied. If I can get away without having to drastically alter it I would be happy! 

re9B7p.jpg

YOX5ow.png

Edited by mozart

Posted (edited)

Both the prototype Hurricane and Spitfire are on my “to do” list Dennis, with luck! :rolleyes:

I’m compiling a list of things I need to check or do for K5083, this is it so far:

• New canopy
    • Re-shape nose at front end
    • Alter undercarriage cover shape and add “D” extension
    • Open out tail wheel area for retraction
    • Close gun ports
    • Block off landing light areas
    • Smooth profile on hump
    • Check wing and tail navigation lights
    • Check pitot tube
    • Check venturi
    • Alter wheel centres
    • Check handhold and footsteps
    • Make marking masks
    • Exhaust stubs, as Fury type
    • Cockpit - no armour plate, early Sutton harness, no gunsights
    • Fit Fawcett dog kennel
    • Make new radiator
    • Check flaps
    • Make new air intake
    • Make struts for tailplane
    • Delete trim tabs on rudder and elevators
    • No breakout panel on stbd side until Acceptance Trials
    • Top fuselage decking aft of canopy? 
    • Fill in all nose panel lines and re-scribe new ones
    • Fill in gun access panel lines on wings
    • Alter rudder horn balance
Edited by mozart

Posted (edited)

Yes indeed I am Alain. I’m puzzled by the “covers” on the leading edges just outboard of the nose where the fuel tanks are. Can’t find any reference to them nor what colour they might be. 

jM3scN.png

This photo by the way has been reversed, K5083 only had a walkway on the port wing.

Edited by mozart

Interesting detail, especially as they are assymetrical, going further back on the left wing!

These panels can be discerned on the other photos, but they seem to blend in visually with ajoining bare metal panels. 
Looking at my references, The Hurricane II Manual, this area is occupied by oil tanks (both sides? Not sure) Could it be just the way the metal is brushed or polished, that reflects light differently. Could be a surface finish (anodized?).

But take a look at your pictures at top. The panels below and behind the cockpit are completely different compared to production aircraft.

Alain

Edit: I mean the panels on the right side. The top of the wing filet has a steeper angle it seems and the panel above it is shorter in length.

Edited by Alain Gadbois

15 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

...this area is occupied by oil tanks (both sides? Not sure)

Port side only.

I agree with Alain,  that discolored area looks more like a lense effect than a covering.

There are many pix of K5083 , none of which have any covering on that area.

Edited by MikeMaben