Hawker Hurricane K5083: the prototype

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Avoiding scribing the panel lines and using directly cut foil panels is a brilliant trick! 
Looking forward to see the result!

Alain

Added to which, I'm rubbish at scribing!  A bit like decals, anything which gets me out of having to do it is worth a punt. :D

10 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Impressive work I must say Max  :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Thanks Mike....coming up shortly an exploration into resin casting!  Brian Fawcett hasn't been well recently and I'm not sure about the availability of the "dog kennel" (his wife won't let him go near the workshop!), so I'm going to see how I get on casting a copy of my one and only existing dog kennel....strictly not ethical I know but "needs must!"

9 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

C'mon Max! I'm itching to see more of this. What's taking you so long? :P

:lol:

Seriously though, great start so far. I am genuinely eager to see the foiling go on. There's nothing better for giving the effect of metal than real metal. 

:thumbsup:

Yep, too much time spent today with the chainsaw out in the garden....all work and no play!  But as you'll see below Guy I've not been too idle:

So, first off.....experiments with foil cutting using the Silhouette machine.  Critical is the blade depth and force in order not to rip the thin layer of foil nor cut through the backing paper.  I have some spare sheets of black chrome ordered by mistake some years ago....here's the machine in "action":

yLnBpl.jpg

using these settings (for those who may be interested):

TXmdR0.jpg

and the result:

jlT5ES.jpg

All of which bodes well for the actual foil.  I have applied some of it to an old Revell Hurricane, useful lessons a) with removing the foil carefully to avoid tears (and tears) at Dzus locations and b) with what size punch (No. 13) to re-instate those very fasteners.  I plan to use a chrome pen after foiling to cover them.  So that's all quite positive I hope.  Talking of which, a fellow Hurricane fan on Britmodeller (Tomas from Stockholm) contacted me offering me a spare copy of a Hurricane book, which I gladly accepted:

TYjWXz.jpg

He posted it on TUESDAY in Stockholm and unbelievably it arrived today (Thursday)....that's better than UK First Class mail!  A few excellent and not previously seen pics in there of K5083:

5icn0O.jpg

What colour is that fuel tank going to be....previous questions!

yTjs3K.jpg

Useful detail of the radiator, rarely seen this clearly, and....the original engine:

yaSbNf.jpg

All grist to my mill.  Tomorrow, hopefully, more modelling time than today. :coolio:

Edited by mozart

5 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Fuselage Vickers gun! Even more like it’s biplane predecessors!

The notion that you could now cram more than enough firepower in these thick wings wasn’t yet completely understood maybe?

Alain

At this point in the development Hawker were going with known quantities, ie two fuselage mounted Vickers machine guns accompanied speculatively with two Brownings in the wings. Later, Specification F.5/34 called for an interceptor fighter featuring a battery of six or eight forward firing guns but the feasibility of such a heavy armament had not been seriously considered! 

10 hours ago, mozart said:

Added to which, I'm rubbish at scribing!  A bit like decals, anything which gets me out of having to do it is worth a punt. :D

Thanks Mike....coming up shortly an exploration into resin casting!  Brian Fawcett hasn't been well recently and I'm not sure about the availability of the "dog kennel" (his wife won't let him go near the workshop!), so I'm going to see how I get on casting a copy of my one and only existing dog kennel....strictly not ethical I know but "needs must!"

Yep, too much time spent today with the chainsaw out in the garden....all work and no play!  But as you'll see below Guy I've not been too idle:

So, first off.....experiments with foil cutting using the Silhouette machine.  Critical is the blade depth and force in order not to rip the thin layer of foil nor cut through the backing paper.  I have some spare sheets of black chrome ordered by mistake some years ago....here's the machine in "action":

yLnBpl.jpg

using these settings (for those who may be interested):

TXmdR0.jpg

and the result:

jlT5ES.jpg

All of which bodes well for the actual foil.  I have applied some of it to an old Revell Hurricane, useful lessons a) with removing the foil carefully to avoid tears (and tears) at Dzus locations and b) with what size punch (No. 13) to re-instate those very fasteners.  I plan to use a chrome pen after foiling to cover them.  So that's all quite positive I hope.  Talking of which, a fellow Hurricane fan on Britmodeller (Tomas from Stockholm) contacted me offering me a spare copy of a Hurricane book, which I gladly accepted:

TYjWXz.jpg

He posted it on TUESDAY in Stockholm and unbelievably it arrived today (Thursday)....that's better than UK First Class mail!  A few excellent and not previously seen pics in there of K5083:

5icn0O.jpg

What colour is that fuel tank going to be....previous questions!

yTjs3K.jpg

Useful detail of the radiator, rarely seen this clearly, and....the original engine:

yaSbNf.jpg

All grist to my mill.  Tomorrow, hopefully, more modelling time than today. :coolio:

Seeing the pic of the fuel cell I would imagine the reason for the colour would be it was anodised, for maybe cutting down on corrosion. :hmmm:

10 hours ago, mozart said:

I wouldn't considering it unethical unless  you sell them to other people.

Createing a master is the hard part. You've already got that so it shouldn't be difficult for you.

I created my own master, so if I can do it so can you.  :thumbsup::popcorn:BngfS1p.png

Have fun.

Thanks Mike, and yes, resin casting a dog kennel is underway!  

I did a little test also yesterday with scribing an engine panel using the Oramask guide, then putting a piece of BMF over it to check the effect….also the “new” fasteners:

sQQRDS.jpg

It’s going to be ok I think. This beautiful Fury nose is what I’m trying to achieve:

bZ08ED.png

Impressive as always Max. I really admire your commitment to get it right, and the creativity of your solutions. This should be another stunner!

Richard

• 1 month later...