Welsh Models 757 Iron Maiden

LSP_Kevin

With the Minicraft build almost at the finish line, I thought I'd share the current state of this one:

xvb1Bu.jpg

Despite weeks of filling/sanding/priming, there's still a couple of minor flaws to fix, but it's nearly ready for paint. The question is, re-scribe the fuselage or no?

Kev

So, with the Minicraft build out of the way, it's full steam ahead on this one. I tried rescribing the panel lines and flying surfaces in the wings, but made a complete hash of it, and filled it all in with a CA/talc mix and moved on. Given that the goals of this build are to hone my skills with regard to vacform kits, and produce a companion Ed Force One aircraft for the display cabinet, spending days on rescribing the wings and/or fuselage was getting a bit off track. My scribing skills are as rusty as my scribing tools, and the ancient plastic on this kit is not amenable to either. Maybe next time!

So with that out of the way, I decided to head straight into the painting stage:

o9ZoIV.jpg

Well, technically, it's still the priming stage, as it's had a rather heavy coat of Mr. Base White 1000. The mistake I've made on my recent crop of airliner builds has been to go straight to my favoured SMS White, but it takes too many layers to build up to full opacity. I'd forgotten the days when I used to use Tamiya Pure White decanted from a rattle can, and would build the opacity up with a white primer first, and just use the Tamiya paint as a finishing coat. I'm a slow learner at the best of times, but having to learn something twice is just embarrassing!

Anyway, it all came back to me while painting the Minicraft kit, so this time I'll be building up the opacity of the white with the Gunze primer, which should take far fewer coats, and allow me to still attend to flaws along the way. I'll give the whole thing a rub down between coats, and I'm hoping not to have to do more than two. The wings might already be good, since they're going to be light grey anyway.

More soon!

Kev

6 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

having to learn something twice is just embarrassing!

I can't tell you how many times I have made the same mistake and only truly learnt on the 4th or 5th time of doing it.  We all have our homer moments  :BANGHEAD2:  some more than others 

I managed to tear myself away from the 777-shaped distraction long enough to get some work done on its smaller sibling. Wings and tailplanes painted in Light Grey, and Coroguard panels masked and painted on the upper surfaces.

8A3lrm.jpg

I've also taken possession of some replacement resin wheels from Bra.Z, but was a little alarmed when they arrived:

h2OsIi.jpg

I was expecting full wheels, especially in this scale. These look like a nightmare to free from their respective casting blocks and assemble. I appreciate that they were probably done this way to ease painting, but I've never had an issue painting them as whole wheels. In any case, this is what I have, and they're surely better than the white metal kit parts, so I'll tackle them soon enough.

I think my original goal of getting it done by the end of the month seems a tad optimistic at this stage!

Kev

Coroguard painted on the undersides now:

xx6vKK.jpg

Just the silver bits and engines to go, and that's the paint job done (minus a few touch-ups on the white). Oh, I mustn't forget the APU exhaust!

I've also assembled the wheels, which was a bit of a trial. They're currently awaiting some paint, and not worthy of a photo right now.

More soon!

Kev

Silver bits finally done!

biAYBp.jpg

Still a long way to go, however. Next step is to mask off all the non-white areas, and give the fuselage and fin their final coats of white. I also need to finish painting the engines and installing them, along with the landing gear and doors - but not before decals! I can at least see the finish line from here, so as long as I don't screw up any of these remaining tasks too badly, it should make it.

Stay tuned!

Kev

2 hours ago, chaos07 said:

My eyes hurt just thinking about separating and assembling those wheels and tires - but they look pretty darn good on the pour stubs.  Looking awesome thus far!

Yeah, they weren't fun! I did manage to get the together, though, and they're just awaiting painting now.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pleased to report that all the painting on the main airframe has been done, and I've now attached the landing gear legs:

XPsZcX.jpg

They're pretty wonky, truth be told, and I don't have high hopes (or any at all, really) for the sit of the wheels when they go on. But hey, this build is more of a learning exercise than anything else, so it all goes in the "skills and experience" column, and at this stage I'll be happy just to have made it over the finish line.

Speaking of which, next up is a nice gloss coat in preparation for decals - finally!

Kev

Kev.

read from start, some heavy duty modelling goin on here, and tough issues, but love to se the hard work payin off here, even hard to see in the start and almost impossible with a bad kit, its comin out alive and good looking, love it.