Yak-9T – René CHALLE – Régiment Normandie-Niemen – ICM 1/32

Furie

9 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Nice work so far, and the cockpit is looking very convincing.  The present crop of ICM kits are very good, so have no fears about doing another if you should want to.

Cheers,

Michael

To go a bit off-topic for a moment, is that Falco in your avatar the ICM one? That's one I'm seriously considering buying, as I already have the Gladiator, I-153, I-16, and Yak-9T. All lovely kits.

Regards,

Jason

3 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Looking good, I have one of these kits so will follow with interest, with a Yak 3 and two Yak 1b's in the display cabinet there is a space for this one as well.

Cheers

Dennis

As I recall, those Yak-1B are resin, aren't they, Dennis? Is the Yak-3 the Special Hobby kit? As you know, I can't get enough GPW Soviet kits.

Regards,

Jason

4 hours ago, Furie said:

Do you have a 1/32 Yak 1b?
Dennis, can you give me the references please ?

Hi, Yes I built two 1/32 scale Yak 1b's, a Montex and an Alley Cat one both resin kits, I beleive that the kits originally were Montex then Alley Cat took them over. The kit is still available.

https://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/yakovlev-yak-1b-complete-kit-6100-p.asp

Here is my build with more information on the kits.

and the RFI

Also more info at the end of this

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=2007.0

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc
Added Soviet Warplanes Link

13 hours ago, Learstang said:

To go a bit off-topic for a moment, is that Falco in your avatar the ICM one? That's one I'm seriously considering buying, as I already have the Gladiator, I-153, I-16, and Yak-9T. All lovely kits.

Regards,

Jason

Yes, it is.  There are a few WIP threads for this kit, including mine.  I was sufficiently impressed with it to buy a second in night fighter form.  I'd recommend having a look around for one now, as ICM seem to be pruning the range.

Cheers,

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Well, back to work.
After a "dream" week at my in-laws' (but what possessed me to go there with my wife???) I'm back at work.
I'm making slow progress because my weak point is assembling and gluing the plastic parts.
I always use too much glue and I'm still having a bit of trouble getting to grips with Tamiya extra-thin glue.
You can sense her willingness to go to places where she's not welcome.
In the company of a very famous Belgian, I assembled the fuselage, which isn't as easy as all that: ICM's fuselage cut-out makes it not very rigid. At the front there's only a small contact point in front of the cockpit, and at the rear it's a bit better from the top of the fuselage to the rudder.
Underneath there's nothing.
The following photos show an upper panel glued in front of the cockpit, and underneath a more or less triangular panel simulating the canvas.
The good thing is that there's virtually no conventional glue line, so less sanding and trimming.
I also worked on the wings, in particular the U/C housings, with the installation of lots of useless Eduard kit stuff.

I added hoses for the U/C hydraulic fluid.

I also made the rivets on the U/C doors.

The plastic is really nice to work with, but the most remarkable thing is the overall finesse of the engraving of the structural lines of this aircraft.
It's great art, and the overall effect is truly superb.
One small negative point: I'd have liked the engraving of these structural lines to have been deeper, as they're too easily erased at the slightest sanding.

t8n8.jpg

uomg.jpg

k8y6.jpg

mhqy.jpg

58qt.jpg

7su7.jpg

r9of.jpg

ltzd.jpg

lthg.jpg

Denis, who gained 2kg in a week.
Thanks to the Riesling and choucroute...

C'est la vie !

Edited by Furie