Yak-9T – René CHALLE – Régiment Normandie-Niemen – ICM 1/32

Furie

I painted the wheels with MRP 173, the wheel rims, the inside of the U/C hatches and the U/Cs with MRP 21 and the outside of the U/C hatches with MRP 18.
The whole thing was gloss varnished with MRP 48 super clear gloss, then washed with AK landing gear on the wheels, AK landing wash on the U/Cs and AK panel liner on the wheel rims and the inside/outside of the U/C hatches. 
Using Prismacolor light grey pencil, I drybrushed all the reliefs (U/C, rims, hatches).
I finished by chipping with MRP 173 + white (50/50) and MRP 18 + white (50/50) on the interior/exterior hatches, wheels and U/Cs with a brush but also with a small piece of foam.
Finally, I applied a coat of MRP 126 super clear semimat varnish, which is less "dull" than MRP 127 super clear mat.

pea6.jpg

wray.jpg

3jb2.jpg

rrs6.jpg

rz70.jpg

ddxw.jpg

xq03.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Well, it's been a while since I posted anything, but I'm making (too) slow progress.
Concerning the "Furie" on the left, under the windshield, I tried to see if I could make it with masks cut out with my Cameo.
But I quickly gave up because this Furie is small (10~11mm high) and is drawn with several colors, which would have required about 6 extremely small masks. 
So I changed my mind and decided to make the Furie in decals.
I ordered a blank, transparent decal sheet for laser printer (not mine, but my work's).
I printed several copies in sizes ranging from 11.5mm to 9.5mm to make sure I got the right size.
As stipulated in the decal sheet instructions, I had to fix the colors by applying 3 layers of Microscale MI-12 Liquid Decal Film.

holi-finition-d124-decal-papier-transpar

i30m.jpg

23b6.jpg

Yakovlev-Yak-9T-303IAD-Yellow-60-Normand

I also ordered a set of Trumpeter tools, i.e. punches to remake the "Dzus" type engine cowl fasteners.
So I was able to put these Dzus in places where they were absent or had disappeared following a somewhat optimistic sanding on my part.  
The Trumpeter set is really very complete and allows you to make very small diameter Dzus.
I'm really pleased with it.

The next step will be to do some rivet lines (the ones I've done aren't pretty and I need to redo them) and some structure lines.
Then I might consider starting to paint this yak 9.

trumpeter-outillage-08020-poincon-hg-mic

qgtw.jpg

7mzj.jpg

leb7.jpg

Edited by Furie

What’s your opinion of the rivet punch Denis? I considered getting one some time ago but reports said that it was poor quality so I didn’t bother.

Hello Max.
I don't have the comparative elements to say if the Trumpeter set is the best among all the rivet punch sets.
Looking at the photos on the oupsmodel site, I thought it was complete (despite the rust which is fortunately absent on my set) and that the price of 16.40€ was interesting.
I found the same set on AliExpress but at 22€...
I find it very practical, precise and versatile because, as you can see, it allows you to make very small and very large Dzus (0.25mm Ø ⇒ 1.35mm Ø).

If you're a big fan of vacuformed models, which by nature are quite "smooth" when it comes to detail, I think this set could be just what you're looking for.
It's easy to get to grips with, and the hardest part for me was choosing the right diameter of Dzus so that the ones I was going to make would look like the ones already existing on my Yak.
I also noticed that there were quite different results depending on whether the plastic was "hard" or "soft".
ICM plastic is "soft", so it's easier to make Dzus.

fv9g.jpg

Thanks Denis, a very useful report, I’ll get some ordered. Any idea how effective they are on resin, given that like plastic there can be different softnesses of resin? 

You can buy the ‘rivet punches ‘ in craft shops where they are known as beading tools and used in jewellery making. I bought an MDC riveting tool a few years ago which consisted of the handle and a couple of punches and have added more over time until I now have about a dozen, I just don’t have the stand.

John