Zoukei Mura FW-190A-4 JG 54

Uncarina

As my Spitfire XIVe build is nearing its finish I going to start building the ZM FW-190A-4:

3cpwy0b.jpg

I have some aftermarket already including the ZM 3D cockpit set, HGW seatbelts, Master armament set, AIMS decals for making masks, and TopNotch camouflage masks. I've already prepainted the parts with Tamiya AS-12 primer, so I'll be starting soon. Come along for the ride!

Cheers,  Tom

2 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Looking forward to this one Tom, great subject choice as well.

Regards. Andy 

Thanks Andy! I’m pretty excited to start this, and eventually add that camo scheme. Along the way I’ve got a feeling that I’ll be marveling at the engineering Zoukei Mura put into this kit.

Cheers,  Tom

9 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Looking forward to this.  I've got some aftermarket on the way from Japan for mine, so I'm  looking forward to you showing us all how it should be done.

No pressure...  :lol:

Cheers,

Michael

Haha Michael, “should” and I are just nodding acquaintances! I hope to get started this week, and will share some thoughts about the way the kit is designed before then.

Cheers,  Tom

Just to give you a better idea of what I am aiming for, here is a wonderful color photo with my candidate subject in the background:

Wr0Wmb8.jpg

Note the light background to the swastika, the freehand RLM 70 and 71 or black camo with brown patches (I am planning to use RLM 79, but maybe it was something else). Was the underside color RLM 65 or 76? In any case, I am still deciding if I will be adding the patchy white winter color.

As I wrote previously I'd like to add my initial impressions of the new ZM FW-190A-4 kit. In general I absolutely love building ZM kits and have completed their Skyraider, Horten, DO-335, TA-152H-0, and HS-129 (this just needs a paint). I'll start in general terms and get more specific, and am using photos from the ZM Old Mans Blog for reference:

1) Building Zoukei Mura kits is an immersive journey whereas assembly of other manufacturers kits (except for Kotare and WingNut Wings) is a process. By this I mean the way the instructions are designed you have a good idea of what each part is on the actual airframe, its color, and how it fits in relation to the subassembly:

d967Hj1.jpg

q0DvsPQ.jpg

The kit assembly is in major subgroups, in this case the engine, cockpit, fuselage, wings, and landing gear. The dedication, attention, and care that Zoukei Mura puts into their instructions is striking.

2) Error propagation is more pronounced in Zoukei Mura kits than other kits. Because their design philosophy of parts breakdown resembling the actual airframe as much as possible, no ZM kit has just one or two pieces for the fuselage or wings, and this extends to interior components that won't be seen. Because of this, I only commit to glue when I've test fitted a part, subassembly, and major part of the airframe in advance--dry-fitting as much of the airframe is key. In addition, I mainly use Tamiya Extra-Thin cement because when (not if) I have to go back and alter the fit a subsequent cement application will debond the part.

3) Now on to some things that set this kit apart. Zoukei Mura has started sharing detailed assembly of their kits in their Old Man Blog: https://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_128.html. I am not sure if this is replacing their Concept Notes or not, but they shared the FW-190A-4 build before the general kit release. This build focuses on three critical advisories: engine fit (exhausts and connection to the firewall), cockpit fit (alignment of bulkheads), and assembly/alignment of the landing gear. A supplement sheet in red to the instructions that focuses on these areas with build tips is included in the kit.

4) Something I am happy to see is that it appears the only fuselage seam to fill is at the very top of the fin fillet; everything else has a panel covering the top and bottom of the fuselage.

d84nD1Q.jpg

Kotare did this with their Spitfire and the fit is awesome. I don't yet know if that will be the case here, but the more recent ZM kits tend to have a stellar fit (except for the HS-129 fuselage/wing panels).

That's it for now, but I will be getting started on the engine next!

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

11 minutes ago, Shoggz said:

I'm hopping on you ZM bus to ride along - particularly as I have this on pre-order at Jadlam!

Can't wait to see you weave your magic on this one Tom.

Welcome aboard! I hope to do a good job, and will share observations and possible fixes (if needed) as I go.

Cheers, Tom

Nice project Tom, JG 54 colors are a bit of a mystery, most probably mixed in the field but definitively non standard, here are some reference pics, including the one found in the forest untouched in the 80's, hope they are helpful, cheers

Screenshot-885.png

Screenshot-886.png

74269901-149020593033440-893441261577437

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190-A4-Stab-I-JG54-Russia-

11 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Just to give you a better idea of what I am aiming for, here is a wonderful color photo with my candidate subject in the background:

Wr0Wmb8.jpg

Note the light background to the swastika, the freehand RLM 70 and 71 or black camo with brown patches (I am planning to use RLM 79, but maybe it was something else). Was the underside color RLM 65 or 76? In any case, I am still deciding if I will be adding the patchy white winter color.

As I wrote previously I'd like to add my initial impressions of the new ZM FW-190A-4 kit. In general I absolutely love building ZM kits and have completed their Skyraider, Horten, DO-335, TA-152H-0, and HS-129 (this just needs a paint). I'll start in general terms and get more specific, and am using photos from the ZM Old Mans Blog for reference:

1) Building Zoukei Mura kits is an immersive journey whereas assembly of other manufacturers kits (except for Kotare and WingNut Wings) is a process. By this I mean the way the instructions are designed you have a good idea of what each part is on the actual airframe, its color, and how it fits in relation to the subassembly:

d967Hj1.jpg

q0DvsPQ.jpg

The kit assembly is in major subgroups, in this case the engine, cockpit, fuselage, wings, and landing gear. The dedication, attention, and care that Zoukei Mura puts into their instructions is striking.

2) Error propagation is more pronounced in Zoukei Mura kits than other kits. Because their design philosophy of parts breakdown resembling the actual airframe as much as possible, no ZM kit has just one or two pieces for the fuselage or wings, and this extends to interior components that won't be seen. Because of this, I only commit to glue when I've test fitted a part, subassembly, and major part of the airframe in advance--dry-fitting as much of the airframe is key. In addition, I mainly use Tamiya Extra-Thin cement because when (not if) I have to go back and alter the fit a subsequent cement application will debond the part.

3) Now on to some things that set this kit apart. Zoukei Mura has started sharing detailed assembly of their kits in their Old Man Blog: https://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_128.html. I am not sure if this is replacing their Concept Notes or not, but they shared the FW-190A-4 build before the general kit release. This build focuses on three critical advisories: engine fit (exhausts and connection to the firewall), cockpit fit (alignment of bulkheads), and assembly/alignment of the landing gear. A supplement sheet in red to the instructions that focuses on these areas with build tips is included in the kit.

4) Something I am happy to see is that it appears the only fuselage seam to fill is at the very top of the fin fillet; everything else has a panel covering the top and bottom of the fuselage.

d84nD1Q.jpg

Kotare did this with their Spitfire and the fit is awesome. I don't yet know if that will be the case here, but the more recent ZM kits tend to have a stellar fit (except for the HS-129 fuselage/wing panels).

That's it for now, but I will be getting started on the engine next!

Cheers,  Tom

I have to say I'm in almost total agreement with you here.  I'm building their 109 right now and the kit is amazing.  One of the things I love is that attention to detail and how you build the airframe, and not just the skin.  It gives a much better insight to these planes than most other kits and if you test fit not just the parts you're working on now, but also the next related steps, you will finish up with an excellent replica.  I really like how you can see how the 109's undercarriage works and attaches to the fuselage, rather than just sticking a leg into a socket. 

I've built only the DO-335 two seater and HS-129 so far, and both have been some of the most fun projects I've ever built.  Incidentally, I had no problem with the HS-129 fuselage/wing panels.  I have the Z-M FW-190 and TA-152H-0 in my stash, though I understand the TA-152 is not quite up to present standards, but I'm still looking forward to building both.

So I'm looking forward to your first build report here.  Definitely a WIP I'll be following closely, but no popcorn images for me in this Christmas period.  I'm sure I'll be gaining enough weight without popcorn too. :lol:

Cheers,

Michael