1/18 Supermarine S6B - S1595

airscale

So the airframe on this thing is pretty much just one big radiator.  That’s a lot of extra oil and coolant weight because all those pipes, tubes and lines had to be filled, not to mention the complicated engineering and plumbing and a multitude of parts, pieces and potentially leaky joints.  But as clean as the design was and as tightly as that motor is cowled, I’d guess there were few other options.  I would opine that your metal work so far is at least equal to that of the craftsmen who English-wheeled the original airplanes into existence back in the day, just smaller.

14 hours ago, Furie said:

Klonk !

*The sound of my jaw dropping on my keyboard*

+1.  Brilliant work, and yes, it will be a shame to paint it.

Cheers,

Michael

PS - Admins; can we have a jaw drop emoji, please?  Anything else in inadequate for work like this.

Sweet Jesus..!

I know you probably bore of being told you are an absolute master modeller, Peter, but you really are. I thought your previous builds were fantastic but this is my favourite so far. 

What I also find interesting is the fact you’ve dabbled in doing a whole airframe with 3D printing, but have gone back to the ‘old school’ methods on this one… old habits die hard? Perhaps you get more pleasure building things entirely from your own hand? I love this new 3D technology that’s now with us - and it certainly has its place in scratch building - but you can’t replicate the joy of making something, watching it emerge from an idea in your mind to then see it evolve from scraps of plastic (or metal in your case) and become something that is entirely your work and skill… that’s certainly how I feel but will readily admit I’m nowhere near your level!