1/32 F-16AM "Dannebrog" Viper

Zola25

On 11/22/2023 at 6:07 PM, Corvo_1971 said:

Stunning, Viper. Clever stand you have there it looks like you can rotate the aircraft about its axis. Where did you get it from? And how did you do the attachment?

Thanks - The stand comes included with the Tamiya Thunderbirds kit.  I know some people think it´s too clunky and ugly, but I quite like it and as you say, the model can rotate 360´ around its own axis making photography a lot easier.

It mounts like this:

WPJLTm.jpg

On 11/23/2023 at 3:18 AM, Zola25 said:

Hi All

Yes, another F-16 - I cannot help it..

This is the Royal Danish Airforce F-16AM E-191 - otherwise known as "The Mighty Dannebrog Viper". 

E-191 was painted like the Danish flag "Dannebrog" in 2019 to celebrate the 800th anniversary of the Danish flag. It is the oldest unaltered flag in the world and something that we Danes are mighty proud of. Not every country use their flag for celebrations but in Denmark it is used in abundance to celebrate anything and everything so this paintjob turned out to be rather popular. People who have no interest in aviation at all seemed to all know of the existence of this Viper. Because of its popularity, it was decided to leave her in this livery until it was to be retired or sold as the F-35´s would make their way into service, and it has flown in this paint job ever since. Both as an airshow display Viper and on active duty on QRA. You have to wonder what the Russian pilots think when they are intercepted over the Baltic Sea by this F-16... 

I managed to get myself an invitation to the recent ceremony marking the first F-35´s arriving in Denmark. "Dannebrog" was on static display along with the display pilot "TEO". He let slip that it would be the last time that we would be able to see her in these colors as it was scheduled to be repainted in Grey. Someone asked if it was because the aircraft would be donated to Ukraine and the reply was just a polite smile.. 

The model is the Tamiya Thunderbird kit converted to an F-16AM. I used a few other aftermarket items to complete the build:

• PWMP Tail conversion
  • Cross Delta strengthening plates
  • Reed Oak Pilot
  • Quickboost Old Style stabilators
  • Reskit Sidewinders
  • Phase Hangar Resin JHMCS Sensor
  • Custom Masks in cooperation with DN Models

I reached out to DN Models @Eagle Driver to see if they could help me design a paint mask set. I cannot thank them enough for dropping everything else to make this happen. Within a week of emailing back and forth with test designs we had a complete set of masks that worked. How cool is that!!

It is not the easiest thing to work with bright colors like Red and White and keep some tonal variation without ending up with that "toy look", but I think it turned out ok in the end. I am super happy to have this iconic Viper on display on the shelf. I hope you like it too..

The Dannebrog Display Team have a facebook site if you want to see more of this aircraft and what they are up to: F16 Solo Display

/Niels

PS: The canopy is not glued into place which is why it sits a little proud in some photos

Sh82vz.jpg

SbQld3.jpgkrr7BN.jpg

xOg6ha.jpg

8DD4xs.jpgNOE88e.jpg

igjE7y.jpg

9lSEmS.jpg

pHcYQu.jpg

HuH2Ii.jpg

GbvRC0.jpg

zT9R0E.jpg

rn1SP6.jpg

IraWEc.jpg

tOLM6Q.jpg

18mFOU.jpgjM2Jrt.jpg

01OHmC.jpgfXxa4K.jpg

Absolutely love it! I really like the subtle, tonal variations with some challenging colours. It is anything but toy-like!

On 11/23/2023 at 1:53 PM, Zola25 said:

Thanks - The stand comes included with the Tamiya Thunderbirds kit.  I know some people think it´s too clunky and ugly, but I quite like it and as you say, the model can rotate 360´ around its own axis making photography a lot easier.

It mounts like this:

WPJLTm.jpg

Thank you, maybe I can find the spare part somewhere. I have the other F-16 kit, not the Thunderbirds. I don't think it's ugly, it's clever letting you put a bank angle on the model. 

Edited by Corvo_1971

On 11/22/2023 at 9:38 PM, Shujaa said:

Looking very nice Niels, but she definitely need's a companion...

http://www.globalairpowermedia.com/images/f16demoteam/f16demoteam_08.jpg

Kind regards,

Rudy.

Hi Rudy

I would love to build that one. It is one if the best looking Vipers I have ever seen. I was fortunate enough to see it in real life.

I need the Syhart 1/48 decal sheet to make some paint masks from. Does anyone know where I could get that sheet from?

/Niels 

On 11/25/2023 at 1:45 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

Well, this one was a no-brainer for this week's banner image on our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/largescaleplanes

Kev

Thanks Kev

It's an honor to be featured on the banner, thanks

Niels 

Edited by Zola25

21 hours ago, Zola25 said:

I need the Syhart 1/48 decal sheet to make some paint masks from. Does anyone know where I could get that sheet from?

/Niels 

Hi Niels,

Lovely to read You are willing to take on the challenge !!!   If she would only turn out half as good as Your Danish bird, she would be a stunner as well.

I happen to have a 1/48 scale syhart-sheet for the Dutch demo-bird lying around somewhere. I can make a Hi-Res scan of it and send it to You via e-mail. I'll see if I can dig it up this week. Just send me Your e-mail addy via the PM-board. 

Kind regards,

Rudy.