Trumpeter F-14d

chrish

The Reskit legs do look very cool, indeed. The fact that they have all the hydraulic-lines moulded in place makes a great first impression, no doubt about it. 

The Aero Craft legs are super strong and very nicely produced. I'm a bit biased here, as I lent Alistair the Trumpeter legs so he could make his own version. Also lent him the Tamiya ones. 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

I have the B-version of this kit in my stash so will watch this with interest as it’s slowly creeping up my pile and I’ll soon be tackling it. I’m blissfully unaware of the intake issues - is it worth investing in resin replacements for a non-too-bothered-about-things-being-to-the-nearest-mm builder like me? Are the kit items really bad??

Edited by tomprobert
Typos

21 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

I have the B-version of this kit in my stash so will watch this with interest as it’s slowly creeping up my pile and I’ll soon be tackling it. I’m blissfully unaware of the intake issues - is it worth investing in resin replacements for a non-too-bothered-about-things-being-to-the-nearest-mm builder like me? Are the kit items really bad??

They are angled incorrectly when viewed from the front.  Some people say that swapping the intake parts to the opposite sides improves the look.  How much it bothers you is up to you.

Edited by Dave Williams

20 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

They are angled incorrectly when viewed from the front.  Some people say that swapping the intake parts to the opposite sides improves the look.  How much it bothers you is up to you.

Ah - I’ve just been doing some research on this and see what you mean. It’s actually quite bad. I’ll have a ponder…

Many thanks for taking the time to reply!

Tom

46 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Ah - I’ve just been doing some research on this and see what you mean. It’s actually quite bad. I’ll have a ponder…

Many thanks for taking the time to reply!

Tom

That was my take away as well. Also, Zacto made some detail improvements to his resin parts. 
now on the down side, my understanding is Zacto has stopped production due to health concerns, hopefully only temporarily but I don’t know if he’s producing right now. 
I’ve been collecting and building up on most of this resin since last year.

I got the kit from the lhs for just over $100.00 (Canadian) and have basically doubled that with “add-ons” since that time. If I’d payed what the kit originally cost (over $270.00 Canadian) I’d be building it from the box…if I’d bought it at all 

I've begun cutting into the kit to fit the Zacto parts, this took some nerve, a couple of shots of courage from Captain Morgan (It's a naval project after all) and my first cut was done wrong. Here's hoping you can learn from my mistake. I don't want to blame Mr Zacto for unclear instructions, it's probably me thinking I know what I'm doing or not understanding what was required.

I cut out the entire vent, had to glue back in the slope to glue the resin piece to it

Y6XtqyI.jpg

EDf7FRA.jpg

This...is how it should fit;

qpHPfnd.jpg

and the lower half;

ysMvsAS.jpg

0d3XZXH.jpg

I've also been opening up some vents

yHUV6vA.jpg

and the bible I'm working from, Daco Publications Grumman F-14

YC4nik3.jpg

No one is going to be more surprised than me if this thing ever gets finished!!

Thanks for looking

I recall purchasing this kit way back when on my many visits on business in China.  Lugging this kit home however was a rear bear.  I purchased the ZACTO items for it and realized soon after, I just don't care for jets!  I sold it a few years back.  I do love the looks of the Tomcat.  Hoping this turns out nice for you.   Will be following.   :popcorn:.  Good luck!  

Troy

continuing with chopping up a perfectly good kit...

There is a slight gap, ok a couple of slight gaps. Zacto is aware of this and advises the builder to "shim" with a strip of .015" plastic (included in the set) so far, most parts fit quite well. However having said (typed) that, there are a lot of different resin sets from different manufacturers to fit.

FM7T3Zq.jpg

TBgUan5.jpg

fitting the pallet corrections

73X2y4U.jpg

XeKfatg.jpg

Not really progress, in fact I'm sure Trumpeter would call it regress.

Still having fun though

Thanks for looking.

I was expecting some fitment issue...I am early into the assembly and wasn't disappointed.

Aires meet Reskit....Reskit, this is Aires. Please play nicely (nope)

As shown here the Reskit piece is a blonde hair to wide for the Aires gear bay. (I've added nothing but paint)

dEE8fue.jpg

My solution; saw off a mounting lug, drill and pin a plastic lug in it's place so I can fit the gear leg;

pLNsyhu.jpg

v54EgAs.jpg?1

Oh, and I guess I got some dirt wash on too.

A4hixaE.jpg?1

Some beautiful resin stuff available for this model, I hope these things continue!

Thanks for looking