New surprise announcement from Airfix

Shoggz

No, unfortunately not a 1/24th scale Griffon Spitfire...

but an Me 410 Hornisse

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/scale-modelworld-exclusive-new-airfix-messerschmitt-me-410-hornisse-takes-flight

It's completely the wrong scale for me, but what I will applaud is the fact that the model is available immediately. Whoever is in charge of this marketing strategy deserves praise.

It's great getting a new product announcement followed by - 'available now!'.

1 hour ago, monthebiff said:

Had me all excited then until I clicked on the link and found it was 72nd scale but maybe in the future a scaled up kit?

Regards. Andy 

They certainly put in the work to do so. they completely scanned the full-scale aircraft with FARO scanners, inside and out, so they've got all the digital dimensions in their hot little hands to recreate the brute in several scales. I, too, hope they release it in 1/48 as well. Alas, Airfix won't give it to us in 1/32.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Re: Kits in other scales. 

If I remember correctly the guys at Airfix were cagey about that. They explained that even though they had all the information it wasn't simply a matter of upscaling or downscaling things. 

Separate scales are in essence completely new and different models requiring individual and unrelated designs. 

This is likely the reason why they don't simply pop out 1/24th scale models of all of their popular 1/72nd and 1/48th scale kits :hmmm:

You had me all excited when I saw the subject.  :beer4:  What a let down.  :crying:

I'm sure it will be a good kit, but I haven't built anything that small since the early '70's.  Maybe there might be an announcement on the next 1/24 kit soon I hope.  Perhaps a Spitfire MkVIII??  Dare we hope for a Spitfire XIV???  :speak_cool:

Cheers,

Michael

2 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

You had me all excited when I saw the subject.  :beer4:  What a let down.  :crying:

I'm sure it will be a good kit, but I haven't built anything that small since the early '70's.  Maybe there might be an announcement on the next 1/24 kit soon I hope.  Perhaps a Spitfire MkVIII??  Dare we hope for a Spitfire XIV???  :speak_cool:

Cheers,

Michael

Those would be cool but..........perhaps don't hold your breath........;)

A Spitfire Mk.VIII or a Mk.XVI would be tentatively possible given their relative similarity to the Mk.IX, but yeah, our only route to a Griffon beastie is via our friends at Laminar Flow!

On 11/10/2023 at 2:00 PM, Jack said:

Didn't HPH produce a 32nd scale Me410?..........

Yes. I have one, as I had been hunting and hunting for the 1/32nd Scratchbuilders kit for literally years.  I bought it prior to the start of building my HpH Walrus and Tigercat.

Lets just say my enthusiasm has waned a bit for the kit since starting but not finishing either of the above kits, but Ill likely still build it someday, as I really do have a thing for the airframe.