Trumpeter A-7E

chrish

1 hour ago, VintageEagle said:

Which aircraft do you plan to build? I have just ordered this kit as well but will probably wait for the Reskit parts to become available. I have decals for two VA-22 (Gecko and overall grey) and a Stinger bird, but haven’t decided yet which one to build. 

Haha

good question, I ordered decals a while back and being the dumbass I am, I got decals for the D, new decals coming from Ultracast, the last set of E decals that was in stock (cutting edge decals) Cutting Edge CED32077 - A-7E Corsair II, Part 4, VA-15 Valions

on their way as we speak….well, as I type.

the local hobby shop has a D on the shelf and me being me and having decals for a D…guess what I’ll be buying next 

the work continues, some light gull gray and insignia white, wing in light gray primer and will receive some gull gray next as well.

Trying a new paint, this has been shot with Mr. Hobby Lacquers...smelly, doesn't cover real great (takes a few coats to even out) but sprays beautifully.

ShLR8ig.jpg

qCqQUto.jpg

X8OuIUy.jpg?1

8UqQIph.jpg

Thanks for looking

Great to see the SLUFFs getting some attention, don't see many being built. Little story, back in the day, i tried building an E bird, but incredibly, the fuselage parts and wing parts would not glue together!! Any of the model glues would not melt the plastic, didn't try MEK, but no joy on any of them working. Tried putting a puddle of Tenax on an inner surface of a wing and pressing my thumb into the puddle, did NOT affect the plastic in any way. Got binned, got on with life. Off topic, what markings do you have planned for the D?

Don

Decals underway, for the most part they were going ok. Until I got to the vertical tail, there was no way the stripe was going to work. I hesitate to blame the decals or decal maker as I always have horrible luck with decals, any manufacturer. I tried various sets and softs but they stubbornly refused to lay down So I broke out the Tamiya tape (first to peel off the decals) then masked the stripe and mixed up some orange and some blue and painted the stripes on. I will now continue adding the remaining decals...hoping for the best.

HjUhI9H.jpg

WrLK4Jg.jpg

BkFsvf6.jpg

and painted...nowhere near perfect but that's how I roll (strive for mediocrity)

lICxc5T.jpg

8pTGPtV.jpg

Light at the end of this tunnel?

Maybe?

Thanks for looking

decals on, a bit of a fight here and there. The lion decal on the left side of the vertical fin mocked me and refused to lay down no matter what decal solvent I used. In a foolish act of desperation I brushed it with lacquer thinner...it quit mocking me after that. It's wrinkled from all the abuse it took but it's on.

83KrhAw.jpg

XNQuf5V.jpg

Some scruffy paint work added, dirt and grime

Now I guess I gotta stick all the detail parts on and call it done

Thanks for looking

3 hours ago, chrish said:

decals on, a bit of a fight here and there. The lion decal on the left side of the vertical fin mocked me and refused to lay down no matter what decal solvent I used. In a foolish act of desperation I brushed it with lacquer thinner...it quit mocking me after that. It's wrinkled from all the abuse it took but it's on.

83KrhAw.jpg

XNQuf5V.jpg

Some scruffy paint work added, dirt and grime

Now I guess I gotta stick all the detail parts on and call it done

Thanks for looking

I appreciate your sharing, Chris. What is your particular technique for adding scruffy paint work? Salt weathering?  But there is something else going on too with the darker shading. To my eye, it looks particular realistic! Somehow busy but subtle as well..it's really well done. Tony