Azur Bloch MB 152C.1 - Zdzislaw Henneberg, France 1940

R Palimaka

The next little challenge was finding out that the top part of the gear leg was square in section, not round as molded by Azur. I trapped the leg between two sections of Evergreen C-channel strip of the right size, and glued them into submission. Mine is now slightly more rectangular in section than square, but I'm not going to fight with it. There is more work to be done on the gear, but at least that correction is mostly done, just needs a bit more shaping.

LveGUV3l.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

Great progress! I am late at the party but hopefully not too late. As I also have many of the Azur French kits in my stash, including this one, I‘ll follow with great interest. I already ordered the 3d-printed seat, too :).

I am very curious how this kit will develop in your hands. 
Best regards,

Andreas

Thank you Andreas! You're definitely not too late, this is going to be a long fight I think. I am so grateful that Azur and Special Hobby have released these kits of French aircraft. They look wonderful and detailed in the box but once you start building you quickly realize they need some refining. 

I have to thank Alain again for letting me know about the Renaissance products. I was totally surprised to find out anyone had even done aftermarket for this kit, let alone a new seat! Be careful though, it is extremely delicate and you need to be careful separating it from all the supports. It felt like handling a butterfly, trying not to break anything. :) I broke one of the thin tube frames on the front of the seat trying to clean it up and spent an hour replacing that section of the tubing with wire. It made me laugh after because in the end it was under the front of the seat and no one would see it anyway. 

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Finally getting some paint in the cockpit and putting parts together. It's an improvement on what came with the kit, and should look ok with everything closed up. I had to shorten the oxygen bottle (the long white cylinder) about 4mm just so it fit better based on photos. I also added a nozzle and tap on top of it, so I can hook it up to some oxygen lines.  

There are a couple spots that still need touching up with paint, and once the various components are glued into place I'm going to add some wiring and tubing lines. 

The colour is much more blue in person than in the photos. Anyway, some progress photos...after spending 90 minutes adding tiny toggle switches...

RcbUtWPl.jpg

J0O2SkCl.jpg

The floor with various handles added and painted.

sFj7Bzfl.jpg

The instrument panel with added bezels and dial decals from various sources...none of them French aircraft. No one knows except me...and anyone reading this.  :)

The lighting makes it look like a lighter blue, but trust me, it is a dark blue. Wow, close-ups don't hide much.

FP6BDJDl.jpg

And the floor console under the instrument panel. Again, the lighting makes it looks a lighter blue than it is.

ueXCl9kl.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

Thank you Loic, I'm learning lots about an aircraft I really didn't know very well, and learning to appreciate it. 

I'm having fun detailing where I can, and trying not to get myself into too much trouble with the kit...

Richard

8 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

I find it interesting too Rich.  I have one of these kits too, glad Azur offered one.

I promise not to tell about the instruments :whistle:

Lol, thanks Mike, knew I could count on you.  

French aircraft of 1940 don't get the respect they should. I think they were better performers than we are led to believe ( well, maybe not the Caudron ), it was more their command structure and the way they were used. And yes, thank you Azur and Special Hobby...not easy kits but we wouldn't otherwise have kits of the less well-known types. .

6 hours ago, dennismcc said:

That is really nice work, I wish the detail parts were available when I built mine in 2011, but I am still pleased with how it turned out. It was great that kits like this were even manufactured, I'm looking forward to the next stages.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. You did a remarkable job on yours, the finish in particular. I wish there was more available for this kit. Some of the other Azur/Special Hobby kits have had more love from after-market producers. I'm guessing the Bloch isn't as popular.  But there is always Evergreen strip/rod/sheets and the spares box.

2 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

A real treat seeing this aircraft being built up Richard.  Thanks for sharing your build with us.  :popcorn:

Thank you! It's not a bad kit, just more basic than I thought, with some head-scratching challenges/errors added in. 

Edited by R Palimaka

Nice progress on the interior! 
I have finished Azur’s Dewoitine D. 520 some weeks ago and I just can agree: These Azur kits are difficult and sometimes very demanding but at least they exist.

I can’t really understand the lack of up-to-standards 1:32 scale kits of French airplanes from WW2 neither. It’s a little better for WW1 because there are some wonderful Nieuports and Caudrons from CSM and acceptable kits from Roden and other manufactures. But still, generally speaking, the French planes don’t get the attention from kit manufacturers they deserve. I’d give Zoukei Mura’s Bf 109 AND FW-190 kits for a good Potez 630 :D.

Andreas