Azur Bloch MB 152C.1 - Zdzislaw Henneberg, France 1940

R Palimaka

I was going to get started on a different project I had planned for this winter, but this group build called to me. I've always enjoyed models that had a story connected to an individual I've read about. In this case even the history of this airframe is interesting.  Funny...this is the third model in this build connected to a Polish pilot. 

I7TpYZqh.jpg

ZDZISLAW HENNEBERG

Zdzislaw Henneberg's exploits were remarkable. He fought in Poland, France and finally from the UK as one of the heroes of 303 Squadron during the Battle of Britain. He eventually led the Squadron as Squadron Leader in 1941. Unfortunately he was presumed to have drowned in the Channel in April 1941 after his aircraft was damaged over France. He was credited with 8 1/2 victories, including his first, a shared victory over an He-111 in France, in the aircraft that will be the subject of this build.

If you're interested here is a brief biography from the Battle of Britain London Monument site:

Battle of Britain London Monument - Z. Henneberg

To expand on his experience in France here is the roughly translated entry from the website "Polskie Siły Powietrzne w II wojnie światowej" :

In mid-May 1940, Henneberg was entrusted with forming a fighter section, "DAT Chateauroux", assigned to defend the air base and the SNCASO aircraft factory in Châteauroux. The team included 2nd Lt. Stanisław Wielgus, corporal Ryszard Lewczyński, corporal Paweł Gallus. On May 20, the pilots left for Châteauroux, where they received several brand new (and not yet armed) Bloch MB-151 and MB-152 fighters. Once the aircraft were fitted with armament, they began combat missions on May 26, but there were no clashes with the Luftwaffe. Earlier, on May 22, other pilots who had previously trained in Châteauroux came under Henneberg's command: Lt. Marian Imiela, 2nd Lt. Wiesław Choms, second lieutenant Bolesław Palej, second lieutenant. Jerzy Polak, second lieutenant Mieczysław Waszkiewicz and second lieutenant. Benedykt Zieliński.

The first opportunity to fight the enemy came on June 5. Henneberg, Cpl. Gallus and Cpl. Lewczyński were scrambled to intercept a group of approximately a dozen Heinkel 111s trying to bomb the airport defended by the Poles. Several French pilots joined the fight, as well as a Polish commander, Lt. Arsen Cebrzyński from Groupe de Chasse II/6. As a result of the chase, Cebrzyński and Henneberg together shot down a bomber that crashed near Vatan. (G1+AN of 5./KG55) The crew was taken prisoner. On the "Bajan list", each pilot was awarded half a kill, although the issue of who fired the decisive bursts became the cause of a conflict between Cebrzyński and Henneberg.

Henneberg's squadron carried out intensive patrols and scrambles until mid-June. Between June 10 and June 16, the entire French staff left, leaving the Poles alone, without orders or supplies. Henneberg took the initiative and ordered an evacuation to Bordeaux. On the afternoon of June 17, Henneberg, piloting an MB-152, led three other planes to Bordeaux (two MB-151s and a Caudron C-635 Simoun). Once there he received information regarding command's recommendations to evacuate to Great Britain by plane, if possible. Although it was possible to evacuate from Bordeaux by sea, Henneberg ordered his flight of three Bloch machines to Nantes on June 18. There he met an RAF Wing Commander who gave him written permission to fly to England along with a letter of introduction to the commandant of RAF Tangmere. On June 18, 1940 around 14:00 the three Poles flew to England in their aircraft and after a two and a half hour flight they landed at Tangmere. A few hours later they were ordered to Andover and the next day to Netherton. On June 21, he received an order to leave the planes and report to the Polish Air Force assembly camp at RAF West Kirby. The Henneberg flight was the only direct evacuation of Poles in aircraft from France to Great Britain in 1940.

The aircraft he flew to England that day is the subject of this build, and it is assumed to be the aircraft in which he scored his first victory. When it was handed over to the RAF the French markings were replaced with RAF roundels and fin flash, and numbered "White 1". I haven't been able to find out it's eventual fate while with the RAF. 

Sorry for the long intro, but I thought it was a fascinating story of a man and a machine. In addition for me, he scored two of his Battle of Britain victories flying in a borrowed Canadian Hurricane from No.1 Squadron RCAF, their neighbours on the airfield at Northolt. 

Richard 

Edited by R Palimaka

The kit itself is one of Azur's middle efforts, and on the sprues looks promising with good clean moldings with engraved panel lines and a fairly detailed cockpit. The clear parts are crystal clear. No idea how it will all fit together, but it's a short-run kit and the reviews and builds online aren't too frightening.

x50vRcsh.jpg 

r7bU7wUh.jpg

There are resin parts for the engine and cockpit. I've read that there are issues with the fit of the cowlings...to each other and to the fuselage.

kuCPwLGh.jpg

There is a small fret of photo-etch:

F0o80exh.jpg

Finally the decals, and a small sheet of clear film for the gunsight, hopefully they'll be fine:

7dbiLrGh.jpg

And finally the research material. Mostly it's background information about Henneberg himself, but there are photos and profiles of his mounts, including this one. The top two profiles show his aircraft as it appeared in France, and in RAF markings after it was flown to Netherton in the UK. 

Wp1Wa00h.jpg

1sdpUuYh.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

10 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Nice , I have this kit in the stash and so will be following along. Have fun Rich .

Thank you Mike. Been wanting to try my hand at French camouflage for a while so thought this would be a good opportunity.

10 hours ago, Loic said:

Hi Rich !

welcome to the group build !

What a fascinating story indeed.

I also have this one in the stash as well as the other Azur French fighters on the BoF period so I will follow with great interest.

I love the French fighters from 1940, and the story of the Polish pilots who escaped to fight again.

9 hours ago, Phantom2 said:

Same here! :D

Nice kit and a exciting story!  :thumbsup:

I will follow this build!

:popcorn:

Stefan :beer:

Thank you Stefan! I love to have a back story when I build a model, it just adds so much interest for me.

9 hours ago, dennismcc said:

A really nice kit, I thoroughly enjoyed building it and still enjoy looking at it in my display cabinet.

It's really nice to have the back story as well to really bring it to life.

Enjoy.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you! I had a good look at your build before I decided to go ahead. Yours is beautiful, and some good information there. Great recovery by the way, after the little accident.

hi

this kit needs a lot of modifications or improvements  , to get a decent rendering . if you are interested, here is a link that can be useful, if you want to start such modifs . the guy here is very meticulous , no doubt that you will get some ideas 

Alain

in French , but pictures talk by themself ;)

http://fighters.forumactif.com/t101966-bloch-mb-152c1-azur-1-32

Edited by alain11

43 minutes ago, alain11 said:

hi

this kit needs a lot of modifications or improvements  , to get a decent rendering . if you are interested, here is a link that can be useful, if you want to start such modifs . the guy here is very meticulous , no doubt that you will get some ideas 

Alain

in French , but pictures talk to themself ;)

http://fighters.forumactif.com/t101966-bloch-mb-152c1-azur-1-32

Thank you Alain! That is a magnificent project! So much valuable detailed information there. I won't try everything, but there are lots of ideas I will use to improve the model. Thank you!

Richard

18 minutes ago, Mark_C said:

Wasn't the MB 152 the one where the motor definitely points to the left, when seen from above?  It looks as if it was in a collision, but it was by design to counter torque, IIRC.

Yes it was, and I found a build online ( in a different scale )where the unfortunate modeller spent a bit of time straightening it out! 

Definitely an odd looking aircraft in a French kind of way, but still appealing somehow.

Edited by R Palimaka