Azur Bloch MB 152C.1 - Zdzislaw Henneberg, France 1940

R Palimaka

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Well, it's starting to look like an airplane...or avion. I assembled the fuselage using long tabs to make sure the mating edges will be solid. The cockpit tub was secured into the fuselage from underneath after a fight. It required some sanding and thinning of the walls to fit. And typical of some Azur kits the fuselage requires a bit of juggling in a few spots to make it all work. I placed the windscreen on the fuselage while dry-fitting and it was a bit wider than the opening and fairing it was meant to fit. I was afraid that if I forced the sides of the windscreen in later to fit it might break...it is beautifully thin and clear. In the end I left a gap on the top so that the windscreen would sit properly, while not making the gap too wide which would cause problems at the bottom where it matched up with the leading edge of the wing root and the rear of the engine "egg". In the end I think it will work and I'm happy. 

I added the horizontal stabilizers ( out of sequence of course ) and they required sanding and filing to thin them to match the fairing on the fuselage. In hindsight it would have been easier to sand them thinner before gluing the halves together, but... Anyway, they fit now. The tailplanes on the aircraft had a 2 degree dihedral and I had to be careful to set that properly. 

al7Xbwqh.jpg

The structure on the back of the head armour, and the filler cap in place.

sYHZkANh.jpg

I've cut the slots for the hinges into the leading edge of the elevators. Next step is to cut the hinges out of plastic card and secure them in the trough at the back of the stabilizers. 

xVXOsZ5h.jpg

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

14 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Excellent work on the build!  

What did you use to open up the slots in the control surfaces?

Matt 

Thank you Matt!

I just used a razor saw to cut in using the engraved panel lines, and then sharpened the corners with a new knife blade.

40 minutes ago, waroff said:

The tailplane dihedral was 4° 10' measured at the upper surface of the stabilizer spar

Oops...I will try to fix it if I can. I tried to match it to the photos and drawings. I may have to live with it if it's not too far out.

to be accurate, you can make two templates from strong paper, trapezoidal in shape, when they are on the stabilizer the upper edges must be aligned with each other. the edge is at 4° 10 or 7.19% slope.

the dihedral of your model is convincing, that’s perfect.