Border 1/35 Fw 190A-6 Nowotny Double Chevron

Thunnus

2 hours ago, MDriskill said:

This is a great thread - this old 190 nut is very much looking forward to more! A very interesting kit indeed.

Possibly utterly irrelevant given the stated goals for the build, but FWIW here is Arthur Bentley's classic drawing of the outer gun access panel variations:

IMG-2808.jpg

+ The kit looks like a perfect A-6 panel 

+ The A-5 panel was narrower, slightly longer, and with a pronounced rounded bulge for the MG FF's ammo drum

+ The A-8 panel had one corner slightly extended from the A-6 version (circled), so that two different guns could be fitted

When the A-5's outer gun was omitted, the "flattened" version of the panel still had a minor bulge, as on the A-5 in Seattle (looking at the Nowotny photo, I think I see this). All these panels had minor variations over time and between suppiers...you will notice this photo differs from the drawing in a couple of details.

IMG_6204.jpg

Thank you for this information!  Honestly, I think I would be up for modifying the overall shape of the wing gun panels to get it closer to A-5 spec if it were not for the fact that the panels are slightly raised.  For whatever reason, Border has incorporated some raised panels on the exterior surfaces instead keeping everything level and using recessed panel lines throughout.  So the complication of getting that raised panel to a lower level without eradicating surrounding detail is making me say NO.  I'm going to keep the wing panels as they are and accepting this inaccuracy as part of keeping this build moving forward.  But I do appreciate the information and am glad to know more about this subject than I did before you posted.  Thank you!

2 hours ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Nice progress John!

The kit's details do look nice straight out of the box!

Thanks!  Yes, the kit has some amazingly molded details.  Quite impressed overall with the plastic in this kit.

21 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Thank you for this information!  Honestly, I think I would be up for modifying the overall shape of the wing gun panels to get it closer to A-5 spec if it were not for the fact that the panels are slightly raised.  For whatever reason, Border has incorporated some raised panels on the exterior surfaces instead keeping everything level and using recessed panel lines throughout.  So the complication of getting that raised panel to a lower level without eradicating surrounding detail is making me say NO. 

Border actually molded this panel correctly - it was larger than the opening in the wing, and the sides overlapped, creating a slightly raised surface.

Here's how the "flat" version of the smaller A-5 panel is rendered on the new-generation Eduard 1/48 kits (complete with the mystery "mini bulge"):

IMG-6206.jpg

And a shot of a rather raggedy real-life A-8. The front edge is crimped down to a flush-fitting piano hinge, but the other panel edges overlap the opening, and latch into sockets lying outside the gun bay:

IMG-2807.jpg

Edited by MDriskill

On 8/20/2023 at 8:38 PM, Citadelgrad said:

John, I've said it before but it bears repeating. There are two types of build threads. One reports on milestones and sometimes setbacks but basically sketches out the build.  

The other, and yours is the lodestar, is an informative "here's what I am trying to do, here's what worked and what doesn't work and why" so that people following can get into your method, learn techniques and approaches, and take valuable insight and techniques. 

I love and follow along and even use (or try to) the specific, well described methods to make me a better modeler.  

My T bolt, and hopefully my Corsair, are head and shoulders better than I ever could have done toiling in my garage.  The internet is many things, but it has really helped me be a better modeler. 

Thanks for your threads.  You aren't the only one who does this, but thank you. 

Well-said, and very true. The quality of info here really transcends scale, too. I'm mostly a smaller-scale guy but this quality of building, and clarity of presentation, are treasures no matter.

Edited by MDriskill

Thank you for the comments and great information.  It's good to know that Border got the A-6 outer gun panels right.  

A little bit more to share on the Border build. The lower instrument panel received paint as well.  I highlighted certain instruments with color with tape masks punched with holes.
IMG-5098.jpg

The smaller range of Airscale instrument decals were small enough to fit so I used them here instead of the kit decals.
IMG-5100.jpg

Not yet glued, I've placed the upper panel on top of the spacer fitted to the lower panel to show how they look together.
IMG-5103.jpg

Some of the engine components have been painted but not yet weathered.
IMG-5099.jpg

Thank you Troy!

The cylinder banks have been given a dark pastel wash and a flat coat.
IMG-5105.jpg

IMG-5106.jpg

Same with the cooling fan and the exhaust waste collectors.

IMG-5107.jpg

Here are the completed pushrods.
IMG-5108.jpg

The PE seat harnesses that Border provides are very... funky. Strange pads in strange positions and reversed buckles.
IMG-5111.jpg

I looked into my spares box and found a set of 1/48 generic Luftwaffe harnesses that looked close enough in size to work. I annealed them with heat and introduced some random bends to simulate fabric... ruler straight PE harnesses don't look right to me.  Since rough placement has been worked out, I can paint the seat parts separately.
IMG-5110.jpg

Some more engine components are being painted.
IMG-5114.jpg

IMG-5115.jpg

IMG-5123.jpg

IMG-5124.jpg

The previously painted pushrods are glued onto the cylinder banks.
IMG-5116.jpg

The exhaust collectors are glued into the rear cylinder bank first and then the front cylinder bank is glued.  Fit is excellent.
IMG-5117.jpg

During the painting process, I also did some work on the wheels.  The tail wheel is trapped between two parts of the tail gear.
IMG-5112.jpg

I opted to cut off the pins and so some drilling to accommodate a new brass tubing axle.
IMG-5118.jpg

This allows me to attach the wheel later.
IMG-5113.jpg

I've added flat spots to both the tail wheel and main wheels to simulate the weighted effected.
IMG-5119.jpg

IMG-5121.jpg

IMG-5120.jpg

Thanks Matt!  Spent the day trying to wrap up the engine assembly.  The gear reduction housing was glued into place next.
IMG-5125.jpg

After this, the ignition wiring was installed.  The wiring is pre-cut lengths of lead wire that I had pre-painted and set aside.  It was quite fiddly work as it was difficult to reach the attachment points on the rear cylinder heads.  And CA glue never holds that well when the accepting holes have paint and pastel wash in them.
IMG-5126.jpg

IMG-5127.jpg

IMG-5128.jpg

I had some issues with the exhaust pipes.  The longer end connecting to the front cylinders has a bend and with the tight space, I couldn't get the pins to seat correctly in the holes.  Ended up scratching the paint off the exhausts and also breaking a couple of the thin connecting pipes at the ends of the pushrods.  I resolved this by cutting off the pins on the longer pipes.
IMG-5129.jpg

IMG-5130.jpg

The last piece to attach is the rear engine assembly.
IMG-5131.jpg

The engine is essentially complete.  I may put a little bit more flat  on certain areas and maybe dirty it up just a little.
IMG-5132.jpg

IMG-5133.jpg

Pretty impressive little engine that Border has provided for the Fw 190!  I'll get some better pics tomorrow.
IMG-5134.jpg