Italeri Macchi C.202 Folgore. FINISHED… well almost!

quang

1 hour ago, HB252 said:

For me the spinner looks right.

The spinner and the nose's shape are right for me.

It’s also what I thought from the moment I opened the box. ;)
Even the front hole -which Mr. T. found ‘really oversized’- looks correct.

IMG-3597.jpg

All that’s needed is an interior shaft (?) which can be easily replicated by a styrene tubing.
IMG-3654.jpg

IMG-3655.jpg

Thank you folks for your comments.

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang

That doesn’t mean that all opinions are equal. :coolio:
To us Macchi fans, Maurizio Di Terlizzi is THE reference. Most of the ‘issues’ he pointed out in his Hyperscale article are relevant and very useful to everyone tackling the Italeri kit.

Having said that, while being one of the most resourceful of our senses, the eye can play tricks. In case of doubt, nothing beats drawing out one’s caliper and measuring the damn thing up.

LAST ROUNDUP before the paint shop…

The last infos gleaned up from recent postings from experts are implemented and added to the kit. CAUTION: the following changes only apply to the 140 machines of serie III manufactured by Aermacchi which is the subject of my model.

IMG-3684.jpg

IMG-3706.jpg

The justly maligned control surface details are mercilessly eradicated …
IMG-3671.jpg

…and dutifully replaced by scratch-built covers with the correct rib number and location.
IMG-3712.jpg

Ditto…
IMG-3696.jpg

IMG-3694.jpg

IMG-3708.jpg

IMG-3710.jpg

IMG-3725.jpg

IMG-3715.jpg

That’s it folks. Thank you for looking on.
Your questions and comments are welcome while I’m waiting impatiently for the Masker Man to chime in :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang

• quang changed the title to Italeri Macchi C.202 Folgore. Before the paint shop…

Good job Quang now you will sleep easier :D It is a mistery for me why somebody who was designing kit took his time and did research on engine and guns compartment but didn't give a filck on surface detailing. Even their old MC. 202 in 1:72 released in 2001 has things done better...

Good luck!

On 9/22/2023 at 8:02 AM, quang said:

To us Macchi fans, Maurizio Di Terlizzi is THE reference. Most of the ‘issues’ he pointed out in his Hyperscale article are relevant and very useful to everyone tackling the Italeri kit.

Three random notes:

1. The re-done control surfaces look GREAT! That's a huge improvement.

2. Mr. di Terlizzi's opinions are backed up by a great deal of time spent with the real aircraft at the Vigna di Valle museum (the whole "family" - C.200, 202, and 205 - lives there).

3. Mr. di Terlizzi has chimed in on another forum's thread, with some very interesting photos and notes:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/italeri-1-32-macchi-202-mr-di-terlizzi-review-t539870-s20.html#p2924166

Edited by MDriskill

1 hour ago, shadowmare said:

It is a mistery for me why somebody who was designing kit took his time and did research on engine and guns compartment but didn't give a filck on surface detailing.

In fact, Italeri meant to do good, even tried to reproduce minute details like the stitching. But they failed to realize how the damn thing would look at a 5 meters distance.:P

27 minutes ago, MDriskill said:

Mr. di Terlizzi has chimed in on another forum's thread, with some very interesting photos and notes:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/italeri-1-32-macchi-202-mr-di-terlizzi-review-t539870-s20.html#p2924166

Indeed. I guess he’s hiding under the cryptic pseudo of macchi 205 (what else?) 

29 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

The corrections seem easy and all look fantastic.

It’s straightforward once you know where they’re happening! :coolio:

6 minutes ago, MikeA said:

Beautiful work, especially on the fabric detail.

It’s a trick I learned from my mentor Harry Woodman :bow: when I used to build WWI biplanes in another life.

Thank you for your comments,

Cheers,

Quang

41 minutes ago, mc65 said:

would you please explain the wizard?

Wizard was the genial Harry Woodman.:bow:

The original kit part…

IMG-3671.jpg

Sand off the offending details…
IMG-3676.jpg

The plan of the rudder (complete with correct ribs) is transferred on a 5 thou. plasticard. 
Ribs are embossed with a draughting pen or a ball-point.

Revell Contacta glue applied with a needle in regular spots 
IMG-3677.jpg

Embossed ribs…
IMG-3678.jpg

Attach card to kit part. Repeat on other side…
IMG-3679.jpg

The result under a coat of Mr. Surfacer 1200.
IMG-3712.jpg

HTH

Cheers,

Quang