Italeri Macchi C.202 Folgore. FINISHED… well almost!

quang

1 hour ago, Thunnus said:

Mr. Quang... it would relatively easy to create custom decal of the archer insignia, no?  A simple scan, size and print of the black area onto clear decal paper?  I can run a test if you want me to.

Indeed! Why didn’t I think of it before? 

I was so obsessed with the stencils and masks solution that I forgot the obvious! Now that you mention it, I’ll have to reconsider the 1° stormo option which I discarded beforehand. :BANGHEAD2:

As a matter of fact, I used to print decals for my own use when I worked in graphic arts. I had access to all the hardware for reproduction (laser printer, repro camera, …) which was incidentally also very useful for our hobby. Alas, it all ended when I retired years ago along with my old tools, my computer, my scanner and my printer.
My main modelling tool nowadays is my trusty iPad with which I do everything: research the internet, enlarge aircraft drawings to size, take photos for the WIPs, do the writing, etc…

Thank you John for the tip. Now back to the (virtual) drawing board!

Cheers,

Quang

You're welcome!  Sometimes the most obvious answer eludes us.  It is definitely do-able... here is a set of insignia decals that I just printed up.  These are on Microscale decal paper and printed on a HP Laserjet printer.

IMG-5272.jpg

I'll test out the decals on a paint mule to see how they sit.  I printed out an extra four insignias (two right and two left) which I'd be more than happy to mail to you.  Shouldn't cost much sandwiched into a small greeting card.  Let me know!

Wow! The decals are superb and definitely usable. :thumbsup:
Thank you very much, John for your generous offer. Give me some time to sort out my data about the 1° stormo Macchi  and I’ll get back to you.

Cheers,

Quang

Progress… AT LAST!

Actually, the build has been progressing all the time, yet by small touches a little like mosquito bites on an elephant skin.:P

Now, some quick pics.

Gun panels on the wing are eradicated. Our series 3 Folgore didn’t have wing guns.

IMG-3389.jpg

The radiator is a delicate but nifty affair with 8 (!) layers of PE to complete the front and back meshes. I love the see-through look, not exactly realistic, but cool all the same.

IMG-3473.jpg

IMG-3465.jpg

IMG-3474.jpg

The radiator cover is adequately detailed as per the pics in Aero Detail #15.

IMG-3467.jpg

Lower front cowling has its vents suitably opened.

IMG-3470.jpg

HUGE CAVEAT! I thought I was smart to glue the spar to the lower wing first and add the landing gear afterwards.

Just DON’T because you won’t be able to glue the gear legs in position.

IMG-3503.jpgPp

The engine is dry-fitted to the firewall (again delicate and fiddly). Completed landing gear added.
IMG-3502.jpg

A worm view.
IMG-3501.jpg

Thankfully, the assembly method is foolproof and the geometry is spot-on.:clap2: The disgracefully deflated tyres are repaired and pumped up with milliput.
IMG-3500.jpg

Wing is dry-fitted to fuselage. Very good fit and correct sit on first try. :clap2:
IMG-3504.jpg

IMG-3505.jpg

Upskirt view :rolleyes:
IMG-3506.jpg

IMG-3508.jpg

IMG-3509.jpg

IMG-3512.jpg

IMG-3517.jpg

IMG-3519.jpg

Obviously the fiddly part is now behind us. The critical (to me) facets of every aircraft model (dihedral, stance, geometry) passed the test in flying colours. Next time, we’ll close the panels and get ready for the general assembly.

As usual, comments and questions are welcome…

Until then, happy modelling!

Cheers,

Quang

• quang changed the title to Italeri Macchi C.202 Folgore. Progressing…
2 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Taking notes, especially for the landing gear and wheel well area.  I'm not excited at having to attach the LG at such an early stage. 

The main issue with the wheel well area is that it’s impossible to check anything until all the componants are firmly glued in position. One can always dry-fit but there’s always something in the way. :BANGHEAD2: 
Likewise, now that it’s nearly completed, I discovered that the whole area look too ‘tame’ and lack of depth. I’ll try to furthermore adjust the shadows and the shading but it won’t be easy. We’ll see.:coolio:

I agree that it’s a pain having that LG hanging during the rest of the build but at least the legs are well-5positioned and at the right angle.

47 minutes ago, denders said:

Looking really nice, Quang! You're build of the Border Fw convinced me to pick one up at NATS. Of course, it didn't hurt that there was no shipping and no sales tax too. :D

To this day, the Border FW remains the best bang for the buck to my eye! 

3 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Is the filler on the fuselage gun covers due to the deletion of them, or is there some troublesome fit there?

I don’t get what you meant, Matt. Can you be more precise?

3 hours ago, Uncarina said:

That is a great update Quang

Thanks Tom.
Like I said, the engine / firewall / wheel bay area is a very tricky area as all the components are inter-connected.
Italeri commendably tried to reproduce the plumbing at the rear of the engine. Even in this viper’s nest, each pipe has its own starting and ending points. The flexible vinyl tubings included are no gimmick. You really need them and they did their job admirably.
They did the best they can with the instruction drawings but in some cases some additional close-up shots would be much welcomed.

A CAVEAT: during those dark moments, curved-tipped tweezers are REALLY a god-sent.

IMG-3520.jpg

Edited by quang

8 minutes ago, Phil88 said:

It is a very good assembly to follow with interest. Personally, I learned a lot of things there. Thank you so much. The order for mine will be made quickly.

So glad it helped, Phil.