Italeri Macchi C.202 Folgore. FINISHED… well almost!

quang

I was a little disappointed to see that the undercarriage must go on during construction of the wings, but I take your point that this method is best for this model.  I'll just have to spend more time masking when I get to mine.  Not a big deal, really, but fitting undercarriage after painting is definitely easier. 

I've always been taken with the elegance and simplicity of the C-202's design, but I like to have the option to display my models with the engine covers off.  I can see me having to build a second to have it both ways simultaneously.  :)  I'm glad there appears to be a good selection of markings and paint schemes for this model, so that should help here.

Enjoying your build and the discussion surrounding the model and the plane.  :popcorn:

Cheers,

Michael

2 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

I was a little disappointed to see that the undercarriage must go on during construction of the wings, but I take your point that this method is best for this model.  I'll just have to spend more time masking when I get to mine.  Not a big deal, really, but fitting undercarriage after painting is definitely easier. 

I understand that the vast majority of the modelling community will be disappointed by the u.c. fitting method much less the people at Italeri which would have discussed it at length. I myself pondered quite a bit about it (hence the earlier hiatus in the w.i.p.).
My conclusion is that despite the occasional nuisance, there’s no better way to reproduce it especially if one wants to preserve the simplicity and elegance of Castoldi’s original design.

I've always been taken with the elegance and simplicity of the C-202's design, but I like to have the option to display my models with the engine covers off.  I can see me having to build a second to have it both ways simultaneously.  :)  I'm glad there appears to be a good selection of markings and paint schemes for this model, so that should help here.

Like I demonstrated earlier in the thread, you can have it both way! Since the fit is so good, the cowling panels can be displayed or removed at will.

Concerning my own choice of the closed panels, the first reason is dictated by the broken gun cover part. I needed to glue it firmly in position before repairing it. Suddenly I ended with the gun covers closed!:D

Furthermore while searching for a camouflage and a fitting colour scheme, I discovered that most of the features which differentiates one plane from another is located on … the front engine cowling :BANGHEAD2:. Whether it’s a pilot’s inscription (i.e. the famous Dai Banana!) or a replacement panel from another plane (which occurred frequently).

So what’s the use for choosing a colour scheme if the particularities are to be hidden by removing the panels?

One last reason, and perhaps the most important to me, is to show off the excellence of designer Mario Castoldi’s art.

Put a Macchi C.202 Folgore and a Kawasaki KI-61 Hien side by side, both contemporary planes powered by the same DB601 engine, and you’ll see what I mean. :innocent:

Enjoying your build and the discussion surrounding the model and the plane.

No merit here, Michael. The pleasure to banter is all mine.

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang

IT’S CLOSING TIME!

The cowling panels are now glued shut. I’m pleased to see that the nose has that characteristic slight head-down, charging bull attitude. :rolleyes:

The fit is correct (by my standards) still my habit is to secure every joint with thick, slow-drying superglue, just to make sure there’s no tiny gap left.

The green paint is a visual aid during the removing of the joints.

IMG-3533.jpg

IMG-3534.jpg

IMG-3535.jpg

The joints are cleaned up and a surfacer coat applied to reveal the areas which need to be touched up.

IMG-3554.jpg

IMG-3555.jpg

IMG-3558.jpg

IMG-3559.jpg

IMG-3557.jpg

Once this is done, we’d restore the missing panel lines and the rest of the surface details, attach the landing flaps and the tail feathers.

Talking of panel line, there is this joint at the rear of the engine which on the wartime pictures looked thicker and darker than the rest.

IMG-3556.jpg

I suspect it’s a rubber gasket of some sort, like the one @Furie discovered on his BF109-G build.
What do you guys think? Please let me know because I need to be sure when I add the final details before starting the painting.

Thank you all for your help.

Until next time,

Cheers,

Quang

• quang changed the title to Italeri Macchi C.202 Folgore. Closing time!

No. Commendatore Castoldi would never have permitted anything as imprecisely gauche as rubber bits hanging out of his airplane! :rolleyes: 

In all seriousness, there's actually a prominent gap at the rear of the cowl, and it fully surrounds the fuselage. I suppose it helped move cooling air from all those shallow scoops on the nose. And from here aft to the firewall are panels punched full of more vents (plus the open wheel wells on early machines), so there was little point in sealing it.

Real-life closeups sometimes even show interior bits visible through the gap. This is the kind of subtle touch that, IMHO, Italeri has done a good job of noticing, and including in the kit.

AC623-E39-ED30-48-CD-9805-0915-C62-F299-

IMG-4052.jpg

IMG-4054.jpg

Edited by MDriskill

55 minutes ago, MDriskill said:

This is the kind of subtle touch that, IMHO, Italeri has done a good job of noticing, and including in the kit.

So much for all the Italeri-bashing keyboard heroes! :rofl:

I also discovered that the same gap also happened on the underside joint which I industriously filled up with Milliput :BANGHEAD2:

IMG-3565.jpg

IMG-3566.jpg

Thank you @MDriskill for the heads-up!

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang

Thanks for the kind words; I do appreciate your tolerance for my borderline unhealthy obsession with these aircraft...! :blink:

Another interesting detail seen in your Smithsonian photo is the hole in the lower cowl above - and very small gap around - the oil cooler. The cooler was permanently attached to the engine, so this clearance was needed to get the access panel on and off.

IMG-3854.jpg

IMG_6281.jpg

Edited by MDriskill

The gap is intentional and needed to compensate engine vibrations (or better to avoid propagating cowling vibrations), same as Ju-87 and even BF-109, it also helps to easily remove the panels for maintenance.  Engine covers are phisically and visually disconnected from the rest of fuselage skin, the gap goes around the oil radiator too

UGOMa0h.jpg

Edited by hal9001

12 minutes ago, hal9001 said:

Engine covers are phisically and visually disconnected from the rest of fuselage skin

Aah, live and learn. Gad, I LOVE this hobby!

While we’re at it, what are these apparently grossly oversized rivets around the gun troughs. Are they on the real plane?

IMG-3567.jpg

Now that I know that each minute detail on this kit can hide some secret meaning, I prefer having your opinions first before proceeding. :rolleyes:
Thanks for your help

Cheers,

Quang

JPvvFNblfSX2dDnpojF71NwfZtODeWLfdcDOIPcn

Gun ports/blast panels, I suppose were made of steel and riveted with round head rivets (too hard embossing steel for flush rivets). Italeri reproduction is oversized and "blurry", you can try to improve them("resculp" them with a beading tool or even a cutted syringe needle) or simply eliminate them, they are not so visible in reality. The gun ports were painted with a black heat resistant primer

3Mj2TuC.jpg

Edited by hal9001

I've seen some photos where those gun trough rivets were noticeable, but others where they seem invisible. Either way, I agree they are overdone in the kit. IMHO Italeri has exaggerated round-head rivets throughout the kit in fact, I think it would help to lightly plane down the "pointy" tops off of 'em at least.

Edited by MDriskill

I’ve come to realize that although a bit overdone, the details included by Italeri were NOT all fantasy but must have come from somewhere.

Having said that, I wonder why they’d put rivets on a steel gun trough like it was a goddam battleship?
Still looking for a clear view of the gun ports. 
Thanks @hal9001 @MDriskill for your heads-up.