Early Mk.I Spit available to preorder from Kotare, in stock at Hannants

Shoggz

The markings from what I can see are two versions with two blade prop and one version with a three blade prop.  The notes state that this version has the un armored wind screen and non armored fuel tank.  I think all the markings are for pre-war planes.  Are the parts specs suitable though for the earliest planes that were used in the war with three bladed prop?  I thought this release was going to include that time period, essentially planes used before the start of the Battle of Britain.  

43 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

The markings from what I can see are two versions with two blade prop and one version with a three blade prop.  The notes state that this version has the un armored wind screen and non armored fuel tank.  I think all the markings are for pre-war planes.  Are the parts specs suitable though for the earliest planes that were used in the war with three bladed prop?  I thought this release was going to include that time period, essentially planes used before the start of the Battle of Britain.  

I think this boxing does indeed cover all options between the very first 1938 19 squadron examples up to the 'mid-production' Mark.I of the first kit they released.

Certainly I can't see anything they've left out!

Many early build Spitfire Mk Is fought in the Battle of Britain, but by that time had been ‘upgraded’ with armour, reflector gun sights, single prong pitot, three blade prop, new canopy, removal of flash suppressors from guns and gun heating installed. Camouflage and markings went through several changes too. A close look at the Kotare kit shows some other subtle differences too, such as the exhausts.

7 hours ago, firefly7 said:

Can this a/c be used for the TV series '  a piece of cake  '  thanks.   Cheers.

I think the Tamiya Mk.IX is what you want if you're going to build one as seen n the TV show.

In the book they were early Mk.I Hurricanes.

Thanks Shoggz.  This is the Mk.I I wanted.  Perhaps they'll release a Mk.V next year, and if so, I'll have that too.

Looks like next year, I may be building nothing but Spitfires!! :D

One final thought.  It seems that Kotare have included parts here to build any early Spitfire.  Only the first fifty Spitfires were built with the flat canopy, and these were converted to bulged canopy as soon as supplies became available.  So it's quite OK to build a plane with two blade prop and bulged canopy.  The De Havilland three blade bracket (two pitch) prop came in during 1939 and all of these planes had the bulged canopy, of course.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55

On 8/7/2023 at 2:27 PM, cbk57 said:

From Kotare's Facebook post;

"-High quality Cartograf decals for 3 early production Spitfire Mk.I covering pre-war to the Battle of Britain (including American volunteer pilot AB Mamedoff);
A) Spitfire Mk.I K9795 “White 19”, HI Cozens, 19 Squadron, October 1938  
B) Spitfire Mk.I K9798 WZ-L, GC Unwin?, 19 Squadron, May 1939 
C) Spitfire Mk.I L1065 PR-E, AN Feary, AB Mamedoff (USA), HM Goodwin, 609 Squadron, August 1940"

So there is indeed a Battle of Britain option, flown by an ace in Feary, and an American volunteer in Mamedoff

366005985_311154227953320_32348103018586

365547985_311154207953322_85165800807880

365196139_311154251286651_59500839798842