airscale Pro range - choose what's next

airscale

airscale Pro range - choose what's next  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these kits do you think would be most successful with an airscale Pro set? Success being I have that kit / would buy that kit and would want to upgrade it

• Hobby 2000 1/32 Messerschmitt Bf110 E
    • Infinity Models 1/32 Aichi D3A1 Val
    • Airfix 1/24 ju87 Stuka
    • Revell or Tamiya 1/32 F4 Phantom
    • Trumpeter 1/32 SBD Dauntless
    • Hasegawa 1/32 Ju87 Stuka
    • Trumpeter 1/32 TBM Avenger
    • Something Else

17 hours ago, morane said:

I would propose a well forgotten kit, the DH sea venom. improvements to the cockpit, landing gear bay, would be more than necessary for the old Revell/matchbox kit. Enough to give it a new youth.

Richard

Indeed! Tons of kits were sold by Matchbox and Revell but except seats and wheels, nothing can be found to improve it!

thanks everyone :)

this is very useful discussion and of course helps making any decisions on direction

the balance is so hard - it needs to be a subject that is available and still built - i realised after narrowing down to this list that actually very few have appeared on the WIP pages here so maybe I need to think a bit more openly about hitting the popular builds, like Me109, Spits, P51s, P47s etc. All of these are well catered for, but I think I can do something special despite that.

The Ju87 is a good one as it has a big canopy, as does the Me110, the Avenger it seems is already well served by a Big Ed set and in fact there is a stunning WIP here which sort of makes me think it's not an option despite scoring well. Also agree the Val maybe too niche.

The other thing with F4's & F16s for example, which are great choices, but come with problems - so many variants & changes and also needs to be kit specific and I have no idea which are the best kits of those airframes not being a jet guy :)

Keep the ideas and discussion coming, between us we will get there :)

Thanks again

Peter

Hi Peter,

Actually do not underestimate the fact there is a chicken and egg problem!

Even if a topic is attractive the combination of basic contents of a kit with a total lack of detail/correction aftermarket items has a negative effect: some people are reluctant to build them because they think the final standard will not be good enough and they do not consider to be capable to do it themselves! And, accordingly, we do not see them on websites in spite of the topic attractivity. Moreover, in some cases, an aftermarket set is so good that it becomes the actual driver to get a kit.

So, I would not take for granted that what we see on websites is the perfect reflect of what can sell (unless of course for mainstream topics).

The usual suspects are generally covered by good kits and by various exisiting aftermarket sets. Finding something that is not yet available and attarctive is not that easy for such topics.

Last some kits do not really ask for a lot of aftermarket to get a good result whereas other ones require tons of such sets. A good example:  the Dragon Me 110 versus the Trumpeter Stuka.

BR

Thierry

Hello Peter, If I may I would like to elaborate on my pick of the 1/24 Stuka.

It is deserving of an upgrade because it is an excellent kit overall.

One of the best of the Airfix 1/24 series. 

Large #s of kits produced.

And the nostalgia factor. I built one many years/decades ago and have 2 in the stash. So guaranteed 2 sets to me.

And BTW, thanks again for the excellent Fw190 wheels.

John 

I'd absolutely *love* something for the Lysander! B)

The Matchbox/Revell kit is good in shape IMHO - but really lacks any detail.

And I can't see any other manufacturer rushing to produce another - unless ICM is up for it.

I have at least two kits in the stash shouting 'feed me' (with detail parts).

Iain

interesting... :)

trouble is, I can't see you can even buy a Lysander right now so the market seems too small I am afraid :(

I have been looking at the 1/24 Stuka, but the size limitation of the fret is putting me off a bit as I could go bonkers and it would be like an A4 fret!

Will keep on thinking about it and please do keep thoughts coming

At the risk of causing some eye-rolling, the 1/24 Airfix Mustang could use more help in the cockpit. You've provided a beautiful instrument panel, and Model Monkey has a number of resin detail sets for exterior structures, but the cockpit interior detail is rather soft.

It has been released several times by Airfix, although I think it's currently unavailable. Must be a lot of them out there waiting to be built, maybe my three aren't much of a start of a market.

It might be difficult though to decide how to accommodate the progressive versions of radio fit and control panels.

Just a thought, perhaps there aren't enough people willing to tackle the beast. It does build into an impressive model with effort and aftermarket parts.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

3 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

At the risk of causing some eye-rolling, the 1/24 Airfix Mustang could use more help in the cockpit. You've provided a beautiful instrument panel, and Model Monkey has a number of resin detail sets for exterior structures, but the cockpit interior detail is rather soft.

It has been released several times by Airfix, although I think it's currently unavailable. Must be a lot of them out there waiting to be built, maybe my three aren't much of a start of a market.

It might be difficult though to decide how to accommodate the progressive versions of radio fit and control panels.

Just a thought, perhaps there aren't enough people willing to tackle the beast. It does build into an impressive model with effort and aftermarket parts.

Richard

Add my two to that number! 

Is the Revell new mould 109 any good? I mean I know there are many 109's and SWS probably just set the benchmark, but in terms of quality of shape etc what thoughts are out there?

Same for the Fw190, what is the best kit? I am thinking there are loads of variants and bits I could do for the best, but more common kits

TIA

Peter