Boeing BOMARC IM-99A Missile in 3D

patricksparks

Thank you for everyone's comments !!! I'm glad I haven't been able to print yey, I just realized that I made a qiute large error on the launch tower as far as the length of it, the attached photo of the real BOMARC compared to my 3D rendering you can see the difference of the length of the tower in relation to the leading edge of the wing, the end of the tower is much higher than where I have rendered it .... That's what happens when working with no dimensions of the tower, but it should be an easy fix !!!

Pat

IwUWbFa.jpghzyrkdr.jpg

2 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Hey Pat,

Curious to know if you might offer the BOMARC 3D copy to the masses some day?   I would be interested for sure.  Love all your efforts to date.  

Kind regards,

Troy 

Hi Troy, unfortunately I don't have plans on producing mass copys as it takes alot of work and time to print the parts, clean them, etc, it can also get very messy at times as well...

Sorry,

Pat

Just got done with a few hours of screen time and corrected the length of the launch tower rail, I have to move the box with pipes up near the end a little more and I'm going to to split the rail into 2 pieces as it has become too long to fit in my printer, no big deal though... fingers crossed !!!

Pat

d98E6zI.jpgIwUWbFa.jpg5bn8NCa.jpgC3HrHoL.jpg

Edited by patricksparks

2 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Looks great Patrick!  Looks like the nose might be a bit sharper on the real missile, but that could just be an optical illusion

Matt 

Yeah it probably is, mine is just a little blunt from the diameter that I used on the tip to draw the arc on to create the overall profile. I figured I would just block  sand it sharper once printed.

Thanks,

Pat

On 7/7/2023 at 3:36 AM, patricksparks said:

Hi Troy, unfortunately I don't have plans on producing mass copys as it takes alot of work and time to print the parts, clean them, etc, it can also get very messy at times as well...

Sorry,

Pat

Hi Patrick. 

Is there a way to offer your files to the masses so people can print their own should they so desire?

Patrick generously offered to send me his files so I could print them out and test them for him, so I thought I'd pop in and show the results! Patrick has broken the design up into multiple STL files, so I started with the forward nose section:

nlUmuG.jpg

0uqH4U.jpg

I could tell already that this thing was going to be massive!

Now, I'm no 3D printing wizard, so the centre wing section turned out to be the most complex single part I've printed so far, and sadly, it has some issues:

19iCln.jpg

There's some major distortion and warping along the trailing edge, up to the point where the slung pylons start:

GtvN9f.jpg

36CWbg.jpg

This is going to require a reprint, sadly - which is a bummer for a 9.5 hour print!

Still, it's going to be mega-impressive when finished:

7QtbG1.jpg

2fSHOM.jpg

The nose piece has a slightly thicker cross-section than the centre wing piece, though they fit together nicely. This could be down to the nose having cured for longer, which can sometimes cause the resin to swell or 'grow' by a tiny bit.

As soon as I can figure out how to get a distortion-free print out of the wing section, I'll re-print it and report back.

Kev

Very cool project. I'd love to get one of these. Although I never worked on it I have a couple of friends who did and there is one down in Edmonton AB at the museum. Do you think you might sell stl files by any chance?

James