Boeing BOMARC IM-99A Missile in 3D

patricksparks

I started this project due to packing up all my modeling stuff(including my 3D printer) for an upcoming move, the weather has been bad for awhile here so my boredom got the wheels turning.... So anyway I thought I would keep myself training on my 3D drawing abilities to stay sharp and picked out this project for it's simplicity (no cockpit, canopy, landing gear, etc..).

I've always liked the looks of the BOMARC, just looked so far ahead of it's time..

I'm going to eventually print it in 1:32 scale so I have broken the model down into major pieces to fit the printer (the overall length is about 16" long) but left it simple. I still have more drawing to do, I need to draw the outer wing panels and the rocket booster nozzle for the rear fuselage.

Just thought I would share with all of you...

Pat

1cY6JTb.jpgxGILUYC.jpgT5CKbZO.jpgJ14HhA7.jpgmGGkb7C.jpg9w62TLi.jpgIOehTU4.jpgU58miFd.jpgAsS8CDx.jpg

Edited by patricksparks

16 hours ago, Dandiego said:

Looks great. You are skilled at cad. Much better than me.

I started work on my Regulus for basically the same reasons. No canopy, cockpit or gear. And then I decided to do the transporter vehicle.

Dan

Thank you Dan, your projects are truly inspirational, I think your current Regulas missile project got my mind going on this !!!

Pat

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

That CAD looks terrific!

Can you tell me what you used to draw this up?

Did you use the same program to chop the model up for printing?

TIA as I've got my first 3D printer coming in August.

Thank you Brian, I use "Alibre Atom 3D" for my drawing, I broke the model down in the same program, I drew pretty much the entire airframe and then I make copies of the overall drawing and go back and "deconstruct" each drawing to get individual sections, this way I remove alot of the unnecessary files in the drawing so that it doesn't use up too much memory on the computer. Alibre Atom 3D is almost identical to Solid Works which is what I started to learn on at work just before I retired  so when I came across the program I purchased it, much less expensive(one time pric (I think it was $195) than Solid Works but it also doesn't do as much but Alibre does offer a more sophisticated program which costs a bit more.

Pat

Pat,

The BOMARC is one of my all-time fav aircraft.   

I've often stated/joked that the USAF released bogus plans of the BOMARC to Revell so as to mislead the Russians into building a missile that was aerodynamically unstable.

It appears you are building the "A" model. The "B" model engines were entirely different and the wing was positioned differently.

10 hours ago, amurray said:

Pat,

The BOMARC is one of my all-time fav aircraft.   

I've often stated/joked that the USAF released bogus plans of the BOMARC to Revell so as to mislead the Russians into building a missile that was aerodynamically unstable.

It appears you are building the "A" model. The "B" model engines were entirely different and the wing was positioned differently.

Yes I am doing the "A" model, it leaves some more marking scheme options.

Pat

• patricksparks changed the title to Boeing BOMARC IM-99A Missile in 3D

Made some more progress the last couple of days, I added the outer wing panels and some other detail and then started working on the Launch pad lifting rail and the clamp that holds the bottom of the missile when it is raised vertically for launch and some various umbillical lines that run through the rail to the front end.

Pat

q51eDBn.jpgUfVhmlU.jpgrybT6Ye.jpgC0DrQAB.jpgVwIkAAe.jpg8X2Fr6p.jpg