I got a package from the Czech Republic today.....

STM

56 minutes ago, STM said:

Boy oh boy!. I have looked over many of the pieces, the level of detail is astounding. I doubt there is much I will have to add to this one. This is, however, my first all-resin kit so it should be a learning experience to say the least. 

342041715_952434105940116_61424690834824

Although I'm at work and cant see what the pic is, from Barrys post it seems it might be the 1/32nd HpH Tigercat?

It is well known that it is by far and away my all time favorite airframe and I was delighted when an LSP kit came out. Not so much after getting deep into the kit. I've tackled many......MANY resin kits in my time, including some HpH kits.............I can say without hesitation that the HpH Tigercat has been one of THE most frustrating, exasperating and utterly hair pulling kits Ive ever built, save the Trumpeter Mig-15.

If that is indeed your first resin kit, I can really and truly highly recommend you start with a much simpler resin kit with an easier and less frustrating assembly. I literally don't have time to go into all the things you will encounter in that kit that one should not have to deal with, but there we are. 

Its the main reason you dont see very many of them built, as the kit will make you contemplate switching hobbies..............or it did with me.

21 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Although I'm at work and cant see what the pic is, from Barrys post it seems it might be the 1/32nd HpH Tigercat?

It is well known that it is by far and away my all time favorite airframe and I was delighted when an LSP kit came out. Not so much after getting deep into the kit. I've tackled many......MANY resin kits in my time, including some HpH kits.............I can say without hesitation that the HpH Tigercat has been one of THE most frustrating, exasperating and utterly hair pulling kits Ive ever built, save the Trumpeter Mig-15.

If that is indeed your first resin kit, I can really and truly highly recommend you start with a much simpler resin kit with an easier and less frustrating assembly. I literally don't have time to go into all the things you will encounter in that kit that one should not have to deal with, but there we are. 

Its the main reason you dont see very many of them built, as the kit will make you contemplate switching hobbies..............or it did with me.

I like a challenge! I, like you, was delighted to find a "braille scale" Tigercat. I have examples of all the other Grumman piston powered "cats" and this one will complete them. I have the 1/32 Hasegawa Hellcat where I completely tossed everything except the exterior pieces and scratch built the cockpit, firewall and everything forward of it (except a metor resin R-2800), wheel wells and landing gear, port .50's, everything aft of the pilot's bulkhead, dropped the flaps and separated all of the flight control surfaces. 

Right now I am working on the 1/24 Airfix F6f-5 and although it is an excellent kit, I am doing a fair amount of scratch building on it too. I have an online build page on my website:

Airfix 1/24 F6F Hellcat | scottmurphyphoto (scottmurphyphotography.org)

Edited by STM

Reading all the pain inflicted by this kit on others… read instructions carefully, clean up parts carefully, fit 5 times before glue, look ahead to next step before glue and use an assembly fixture(s).  This is all very familiar I bet at your skill level but excitement around this kit during the build seem to cloud up one’s mind. 

At one time someone was working on a conversion for the Tigercat kit to turn it into the two place version... Has anyone heard any updates lately about this ? Anyway I look forward to following your build... Mike

The best advice I can offer for the HpH F7F is read the instructions carefully..................then be aware the section you are working on may not have anything to do with the reality of the kit and proceed from there. 

Things like filling and sanding some things I can expect, but things like the entirety of ALL panels on a wing half being off by 2-3mm are things that should never have to be corrected by a modeler.  

I WILL be finishing mine, but bringing it up to my own standards has proved more difficult than I imagined, but not impossible by any means. It just takes a will to push through like NO other kit.

Also things like the "resin pool" that 95% of the small parts come in can be a life altering experience; trying to sand .5mm off of EACH and EVERY single little parts on things like the two engines can border on loosing ones mind. The fit of the kit can be fine if you sand the perfect amount off, but sand too much on a 3mm long piece and it then no longer fits...........and you end up having to do that 35 more times.  The way they designed the kit small parts imbedded in a .5mm sheet of resin, and then having to sand that off for every single part,  just exponentially makes the pain 100 times worse than the average IM kit. 

Again, not impossible by any means as I will 100% be finishing mine at some point, but just be prepared for an abnormally painful kit building experience at certain points. 

8 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

The best advice I can offer for the HpH F7F is read the instructions carefully..................then be aware the section you are working on may not have anything to do with the reality of the kit and proceed from there. 

Things like filling and sanding some things I can expect, but things like the entirety of ALL panels on a wing half being off by 2-3mm are things that should never have to be corrected by a modeler.  

I WILL be finishing mine, but bringing it up to my own standards has proved more difficult than I imagined, but not impossible by any means. It just takes a will to push through like NO other kit.

Also things like the "resin pool" that 95% of the small parts come in can be a life altering experience; trying to sand .5mm off of EACH and EVERY single little parts on things like the two engines can border on loosing ones mind. The fit of the kit can be fine if you sand the perfect amount off, but sand too much on a 3mm long piece and it then no longer fits...........and you end up having to do that 35 more times.  The way they designed the kit small parts imbedded in a .5mm sheet of resin, and then having to sand that off for every single part,  just exponentially makes the pain 100 times worse than the average IM kit. 

Again, not impossible by any means as I will 100% be finishing mine at some point, but just be prepared for an abnormally painful kit building experience at certain points. 

Brought back memories of HpH's Walrus, and a cold sweat went down my spine as the room temperature dropped 10 degrees.

HpH have produced another resin kit that is a great subject,  looks fantastic in the box, offers all kinds of detail, utilises modern production techniques - and then fights you every single, solitary step of the way. Every single step is just hard work, there is not a single easy win in the entire construction process, and sandpaper companies should be sponsoring the bloody thing. You dread - absolutely hate - every step in the production process, because you know 100% it won't fit, it's just a question of how badly it won't fit, and do I have the patience for an hour's sanding and three thousand dry test fits, just to fit an internal part you'll never, ever see again?

I admire your tenacity. You deserve a medal. Or a nice Tamiya or WNW kit, to counterbalance your chi.

16 hours ago, DeanKB said:

HpH have produced another resin kit that is a great subject,  looks fantastic in the box, offers all kinds of detail, utilises modern production techniques - and then fights you every single, solitary step of the way. Every single step is just hard work, there is not a single easy win in the entire construction process, and sandpaper companies should be sponsoring the bloody thing. You dread - absolutely hate - every step in the production process, because you know 100% it won't fit, it's just a question of how badly it won't fit, and do I have the patience for an hour's sanding and three thousand dry test fits, just to fit an internal part you'll never, ever see again?

ALL of this. 

18 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Can't wait until you start building this ... I enjoy a spot of schadenfreude from time to time :D

Rog :)

Now , now be nice. I wish all the best to whoever decides to tackle this, more power to them . It just ain't me, this is a hobby not a torture chamber [though sometimes I do wonder]