PCM Hurricane (late) 56 Squadron….finished!

mozart

OK, cockpit.  This drawing, an early proposal for armour plating to be added, an unofficial mod put in place for many Hurricanes flying in the Battle of France, was useful:

XhGhKs.jpg

and this photo:

BlqnjN.jpg

helped to get everything (hopefully) in something like the right place:

Fy1qzp.jpg

B2uK33.jpg

The dog kennel is now glued in place on the starboard side, so everything is "set to go" apart from thinking about the prop.  She was fitted with a Rotol blunt-nose one by the looks of it.  I've got a Fawcett one but I've ordered the AIMS one too because it looks better....we'll see.  I need to make sure I can fit it so that it's "free spinning" - not usually an issue for me but it is with this one.

F7VyDU.jpg

On 12/3/2023 at 12:39 AM, mozart said:

Mike, I had a flash of insight in the night (crazy but true!).

Oh I have those too Max, I think it's where genius comes from  :rolleyes:

On 12/3/2023 at 12:39 AM, mozart said:

The handhold opens automatically when the retractable foot stirrup is pulled down.  Presumably it was one of the groundcrew’s jobs to make sure the stirrup was pushed up after he got off the wing, thereby closing the handhold flap. And the “bungee” is named “elastic cord” on the drawing.

True, pilots didn't always remember to release it back up tho in the heat of a scramble

I've seen photos of Hurricanes in flight with the step still down.  Progress looking good  :thumbsup::popcorn:

Only time for a mini-update today. I spent an hour this morning on the port tailplane/elevator assembly. I trimmed the added white plastic strip on the front of the elevator and shaped it:

fyLNbS.jpg

In line with these clear photos:

cSoQKZ.jpg

XkKz0R.jpg

FqqUIm.jpg

Note the shaped curved plane of the projecting section. I’ve also added some “rib stitching” which are Oramask strips with tiny ellipses drawn on them (on the Silhouette machine). I think they’ll look ok under a coat of primer then paint, we’ll find out tomorrow! 

The dog kennel is in place:

Lu2Idq.jpg

so gradual joining up tomorrow, starting at the tail end and moving forward in sections. 

Edited by mozart

11 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Nice looking upgrades.  I'm not sure I would trust Oramask to stick too long. 

I can assure you Gaz that under a coat of primer + top coat the Oramask is fine. Used this technique on my Demon earlier this year and all’s still good.

Significant step today, joining the fuselage halves. Did this in several stages as recommended by Andy, starting at the tail end then gradually moving forward. The nose section being resin needed a different glue of course, CA for this job. Seems pretty smooth but I’ve just applied some Mr Surfacer to fill in any slight joints.

XfbWP9.jpg

gZRVfz.jpg

I’ve made a hinge point for the port tailplane and will be working on the other areas of the empennage. The tailplane is just a butt joint to the fuselage so I’m undecided whether to go with this or add some brass rod as location/strengtheners. Also now considering the wing to fuselage installation as I know there are usually issues in this area. Any recommendations chaps? 

3 hours ago, mozart said:

The tailplane is just a butt joint to the fuselage so I’m undecided whether to go with this or add some brass rod as location/strengtheners.

I would go for the brass rods.

31 minutes ago, Alex said:

I would go for the brass rods.

Yep, I think so too Alex, brass or plastic.

I’ve been giving a lot of thought about fitting the wings, and read a good sample of builds where different methods have been used, viz making the wings as a sub-assembly then fitting to the fuselage, fitting both upper wings to the fuselage followed by the one-piece lower wing, or finally fitting the one-piece lower wing followed by the two uppers. ALL of these methods had one thing in common, the need for filling and/or shimming to get an acceptable finish along the wing roots, and work on the wing leading edges where they join with the fuselage.

So I have to expect a less than perfect initial fit but I want to try to make life as easy as possible so following test fits I have a plan…….:D:o:P

Very nice progress Max, she is coming along beautifuly but can't help but notice the significant step between the back of the dog kennel and fuselage. Now I've had a quick look at my build as I was sure I didn't have that issue on mine

Screenshot-20231205-214552-Samsung-Inter

Screenshot-20231205-214626-Samsung-Inter

sorry for the poor screenshot images from my old build log but if you can remove the dog kennel and build up the canopy rail you will no longer have that issue by the loos of it.

Hope that helps you Max, if you want any clearer images then let me know.

Regards. Andy 

Thanks Andy, funnily enough I was working on that earlier! I’ve filled in the slight gap between the dog kennel and the fuselage with plastic putty and tomorrow when dry I’m going to get to work with a sanding stick. I don’t think I’ll be able to solve it completely but underneath the open canopy it shouldn’t be too obvious. :wacko:

20 minutes ago, mozart said:

Thanks Andy, funnily enough I was working on that earlier! I’ve filled in the slight gap between the dog kennel and the fuselage with plastic putty and tomorrow when dry I’m going to get to work with a sanding stick. I don’t think I’ll be able to solve it completely but underneath the open canopy it shouldn’t be too obvious. :wacko:

With the open canopy carefully placed nobody will notice Max!

Regards. Andy 

8 hours ago, monthebiff said:

With the open canopy carefully placed nobody will notice Max!

Regards. Andy 

Exactly, it’s not an issue that I’m losing sleep over! I think I trimmed the lower edges of the “baseplate” a little too much so the whole thing is half a mill too low. 

Useful screenshot from the video I posted this morning.  The slight curve on the canopy rails is very clear:

veYzbN.jpg

Trying to plan for the wings doing lots of trial fits, measurements and viewing from various angles.  I cut the PCM resin wheel well parts from their casting blocks and was pleasantly surprised to find that they fit together incredibly "well" (sorry! :P):

crw22s.jpg

okYFIr.jpg

and the assembly fits snugly in place:

PxQ2Rg.jpg

I've glued some spare bits of plastic to the fuselage/wing join in an attempt to pre-empt fit problems but it's not great yet.  The lower rear fuselage section isn't that good either but I think will clean up easily:

gBXgpq.jpg

DH3Xjm.jpg

Still lots to do but moving on.  :coolio:

Edited by mozart