PCM Hurricane (late) 56 Squadron….finished!

mozart

Thanks Ernest, I did a little more on the erk yesterday, I think he’s nearly there so I’ll put the pilot figure together today and clean him up ready to start painting mid-week…..off to Cornwall tomorrow for a short break! 

So I've spent a little time having a closer look at the Black Dog resin figure of the fighter pilot, overall verdict is "not impressed"!  These are the parts, some of which I've already cleaned up:

D7XrIF.jpg

But when I look in more detail and compare them with alternatives in my spares collection:

17Bb4y.jpg

The head, look how "soft" and lacking in definition the facial features are, the knock on effect will be greater difficulty in a convincing paint job:

h6aOJ0.jpg

so I'll be using the superb centre one plus oxygen mask hanging from his helmet.  The Blackdog hands are very poorly formed with missing fingers and thumbs:

rO1QF8.jpg

whereas the Hornet hands are available in a variety of positions and are full of character already:

qSlfzT.jpg

and even the parachute pack is rather simplistic by comparison:

S8ucan.jpg

Some may think I'm labouring a point about the pilot figure, but in the final build he is going to be a central focus in the action of the dio, and as such needs to be right.

A little work with a drill, knife and some CA has improved things

mppdpP.jpg

swozRw.jpg

vG5wvf.jpg

The arms are temporarily held in place with Micro Liquitape but will come off later so that I can improve the joins, but the hands actually come out of his sleeves now! 

Edited by mozart

The head and hands are a huge improvement Max.  I have found that Black Dog figures are a bit like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates - you never know what you are going to get when you open the box.  The Black Dog head and hands were pretty bad, you were right to replace them.

Ernest

14 minutes ago, Greif8 said:

The head and hands are a huge improvement Max.  I have found that Black Dog figures are a bit like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates - you never know what you are going to get when you open the box.  The Black Dog head and hands were pretty bad, you were right to replace them.

Ernest

I feel like writing to complain about the figure really Ernest but I doubt that it will achieve anything positive, so perhaps flagging it up on the forum is the best means of voicing disapproval and disappointment. 

4 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Great replacement parts. The head and hands are a big step up from the Black Dog ones.

Matt 

Cheers Matt, it’s a good job that I have a reasonable collection of figures plus the Hornet bits and pieces available. 

I agree that contacting Black Dog would be a waste of time Max.  I have done so twice in the past after buying terribly cast products and got - crickets.  As I siad above, I try to steer clear of them when it comes to figures now.

Ernest

30 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Where did the replacement head come from? It's a beautiful mold and cast.

Matt 

That’s a very good question Matt…..but I can’t remember! I suspect it was one of the “Wings Cockpit” range but I believe David is no longer trading. I agree it’s a superb piece of sculpting, Nino Pinchetti (sp.) I imagine?

• 3 weeks later...

Cold and snow here this morning, so I felt self-indulgent and looked in more detail at the Hurricane. The cockpit elements and construction is pretty simple, a mixture of IM plastic, resin and photo-etch. These are the main bits:

GnSIhm.jpg

I expect to get most of this assembled and primed this afternoon…..

The instructions tell you to glue these two resin bits on either side of the cockpit to the top of the framework, but after a little trial fittings to make sure of their final position I decided to fix them instead to the cockpit walls.  On checking I was pleased to see that Tolga had done the same so fingers crossed I won't have problems downstream:

88FkzT.jpg

This is how I hope it will all go:

9t7H6n.jpg

Framework made up, sundry bits fitted, all primed in black then painted:

7DcmJ9.jpg

wOPVNA.jpg

I've remembered to fit the "box" structures at the front end ready for the exhausts.  IP and seatbelts next and I think then we're looking at closing up the fuselage before too long!! :o

13 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Very nice Max, I do like those PCM Hurricanes!

Regards. Andy 

It’s the first PCM kit that I’ve attempted Andy but as soon as I started it I was reminded of the old 1/48 Classic Airframes kits I used to make, and I loved those!