USAAF Beaufighter MkVIf

:huh:  :blink:  :o  :wacko:  :blowup:

This just keeps getting better by the minute. Those grab handles........so realistic. For a start the red is nice and dark, not scarlet like so many modellers would choose. Then the chipping and wear, exactly where it would be and just the right amount. Shows some brilliant observation and perfect restraint. 

When I grow up I want to be just like you Pete ^_^

Truly epic modelling buddy, keep it up. This is a joy to watch.

Cheers

2 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

:huh:  :blink:  :o  :wacko:  :blowup:

This just keeps getting better by the minute. Those grab handles........so realistic. For a start the red is nice and dark, not scarlet like so many modellers would choose. Then the chipping and wear, exactly where it would be and just the right amount. Shows some brilliant observation and perfect restraint. 

When I grow up I want to be just like you Pete ^_^

Truly epic modelling buddy, keep it up. This is a joy to watch.

Cheers

Thanks Guy- very kind of you.

I am super psyched that you are back at the bench! I am loving watching your big Spitfire come together..in fact, inspired by you I grabbed one and threw it on the stash pile..but my sneaky plan is to watch your build and learn as much as I can while you work your magic!

best

P

22 hours ago, Woody V said:

What do you use as a release agent?

22 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Hi Woody!

I use the rubber to rubber mold release agent from Micro Mark

hey Woody-

Forget what I said. The first attempt failed to release. I had used the Micro Mark stuff in the past, but for some reason this one was locked up tight. I have also used petroleum jelly- maybe I’ll go back to that.

anyhoo- running low on mold rubber, I made a simple one-part mold and got something I can work with-

dgmzMwr.jpg

here you can see the resin already setting up after 2 minutes-

05veoy2.jpg

should be able to pop this out later today-

cheers

P

10 minutes ago, mc65 said:

well, it's not like the size of human beings has changed that much, in the last 80 years... the distance to pull up the landing gear lever is always that of an arm! :rolleyes:

meh-

my point is..the Eagle is known to have a huge cockpit by fighter standards. With bay 5 included, it’s interesting that it is roughly the same size as the Beau with its pilot access hatch area.

certainly both are much bigger than my F-16.

ah, surely they are both aircraft oriented towards the XL side, I meant that in any case that is the ergonomic space of a cockpit, even if some aircraft have a particularly tight fit, while others are more "casual"... :rolleyes:

As mentioned somewhere before the Beaufighter was designed to use as many jigs etc from the Beaufort as possible which explains the width and general size of the cockpit which is the same as the Beaufort. I'm sure if the Bristol designers had had their druthers they would have had a fuselage width similar to an A-20, Tigercat or Hornet (deHavilland type). There are always compromises in engineering.

TRF

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...