New 1/32 Spitfire XIVe conversion on the way

Sage the Owl

7 hours ago, Uncarina said:

For those of you like me who don’t want to scribe the wing tanks or use a resin tail wheel assembly the Tamiya VIII A and HH sprues have you covered. They include the wings (with the wing tanks beautifully molded) and everything you need for the retractable tailwheel: $7.75 A sprue, $9.25 HH sprue, $6.00 shipping from Tamiya USA. Mine arrived within two days.

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks for that Tom, I had wondered if that would work. I plan to get one or both of these conversions hopefully on the next production run.

In scribing the wing tanks, I came up with an odd issue. I used the supplied template and for some reason, the panel lines had a curve to them. I ended up looking at the wings in the VIII kit and confirmed that they're not supposed to do that. So I filled them in and received them using a straight edge. The lines using the conversion template are in black. The white ones mimic the ones on the VIII wing. 

i-b8kHf4h-L.jpg

With the conversion template in place ,you can see how it follows the black line. I'm not sure if I lined things up wrong or not. 

i-qsHtpvk-L.jpg

I haven’t been reading through all of the ins and outs to figure out what, if anything , is actually needed.  I’ve got high back Spit XIVe conversion, a Tamiya Spit VIII kit, and have the E-wing sprue from the Tamiya XVI kit.  What else do I need, or need to modify, beyond what’s in the conversion instructions?  TIA.

On 10/9/2023 at 4:42 AM, seiran01 said:

I did the same thing for the wing. Only problem is that you still need to scribe the leading edge fuel tank onto the lower wing… darn it Tamiya! :rolleyes:

I'm wondering... perhaps there is no line to scribe on the lower wing?  I'm looking at Jumpei Temma's scale drawings of the XIVe...

Top... panel lines around the fuel tank.

14top.gif

But no panel lines around tank on the wing bottom... just rivets.

14bottom.gif

Looking at pics I took of the airworthy Mk. XIV on Duxford, there are no panel lines on the lower wing.  Other pics seem to confirm that the panel exists on the upper surface only so there is a panel line and rivet line along the apex of the leading edge connecting the inboard and outboard panel line on the upper surfaces.

On 7/29/2023 at 2:43 PM, John1 said:

Were any Mk XIV highbacks fitted with the centerline bomb rack when deployed to the continent?  I've got a really nice aftermarket bomb rack and 500lb bomb that I'd love to use on this build.    Thoughts?

While not exactly what you were looking for, I suppose I should say, "Never say never!"

Here is a photo of a post-war occupation force 451 Squadron (RAAF) Spitfire XIVe, likely with clipped wings, also fitted with underwing bomb racks. Might make for some fun variation for your builds should you venture into the land of 451 birds!

394249363_1521878811900485_6206839142513090038_n

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

2 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

While not exactly what you were looking for, I suppose I should say, "Never say never!"

Here is a photo of a post-war occupation force 451 Squadron (RAAF) Spitfire XIVe, likely with clipped wings, also fitted with underwing bomb racks. Might make for some fun variation for your builds should you venture into the land of 451 birds!

394249363_1521878811900485_6206839142513090038_n

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Interesting.   I'd give it a shot but I'm still sour about missing out on the mad rush to pick up one of these conversions.    I'll give it a shot whenever the guy gets around to cooking up a new batch of these kits, just hope this time he limits the purchases to one per customer so that others have a shot at picking up one.  

On 10/19/2023 at 6:51 PM, John1 said:

Interesting.   I'd give it a shot but I'm still sour about missing out on the mad rush to pick up one of these conversions.    I'll give it a shot whenever the guy gets around to cooking up a new batch of these kits, just hope this time he limits the purchases to one per customer so that others have a shot at picking up one.  

John, I am committed to ensuring you get one of these. I am going to order one in December when the next batch is released, just in case you aren't able to get one, because I have the luxury of working from home and have, so far, been at the computer when sales open up for these conversions. If you are able to get one, great! I'll sell mine at cost on the trader's board. If you aren't able to snag one, I will sell the one I get to you at cost. I want to make sure you get one, because it sure is excellent.

Which conversion, specifically, are you after? That's the one I will order.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Just now, Dennis7423 said:

John, I am committed to ensuring you get one of these. I am going to order one in December when the next batch is released, just in case you aren't able to get one, because I have the luxury of working from home and have, so far, been at the computer when sales open up for these conversions. If you are able to get one, great! I'll sell mine at cost on the trader's board. If you aren't able to snag one, I will sell the one I get to you at cost. I want to make sure you get one, because it sure is excellent.

Which conversion, specifically, are you after? That's the one I will order.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

You are fantastic Dennis.   I’m going to try my best to be online the minute he puts the next batch on sale.   Last time, I was crammed into a nasty American Airlines economy seat at 35,000’!    I’m hoping for the higher-back conversion.  

1 hour ago, John1 said:

You are fantastic Dennis.   I’m going to try my best to be online the minute he puts the next batch on sale.   Last time, I was crammed into a nasty American Airlines economy seat at 35,000’!    I’m hoping for the higher-back conversion.  

You got it! Between the two of us, we should be able to source you one.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA