Tamiya F-16 Aggressor, Kicked Up a Notch, April 11/24: Lighting Details

chuck540z3

I wish you the best of luck with your home renovation. I started renovations in my apartment in the fall of 19th year and I still need to make a balcony. I was deprived of my desktop for two years! It's long, it's expensive, it's a lot of garbage!
And you write that an element of the chair was lost. I have the same problem! :wacko: I don't know how it happened. I have another chair for another project and I made a shape for this item but haven't restored it yet. I will do this when it's time to finally install the chair.

I wish you good luck and have fun with your home renovation. During our home renovation my wife was always complaining that I was working with modeller precision...

Your build is amazing and this very instructive project. I wish I had seen it before I started my 1:48 project. But it is too late. I have nearly finished my build which is based on Academy Viper kit with self made masks and decals:

1627.jpg

1633.jpg

1645.jpg

3230.jpg

3231.jpg

3232.jpg

3260.jpg

3266.jpg

Serkan

• 1 year later...

January 15, 2024

I’m BAAAACK!  Well, sort of.  It has been just over 1 year since my last post and I’m eager to get back into the modeling game, with some limitations. Retirement was supposed to give me more modeling time, but instead I seem to have less.  Major renovations to our house took about 9 months, but packing stuff to move everything out and then back in took another 3 months of chaos, hard work and hassle.  Ugh!  I’m so glad it’s mostly over.

Like most home renovations, the vast majority of the changes were what my wife wanted to do, which is fine with me, because I’m fairly useless with home design, color coordination and such, and I also really don’t care all that much.  Where I did have some say, however, was in my modeling room and a new display cabinet, where I can finally display my 1/32 jets without crowding them too much.  Here’s a few pics of the beast in so-so light, which measures roughly 44” wide, 25” deep and 9 feet tall from floor to ceiling in our basement.  Bright LED Lighting strips are integrated into each side, with a dimmer switch if you want to tone things down.

This sucker is BIG, in order to fit 2 big jets on each glass shelf.  Glass doors closed

SvIEg1.jpg

Glass doors open

Wuu9ry.jpg

Zoomed in a bit

hvH6xC.jpg

This cabinet was made to be integrated into my bar area, with a side window to let in more light.  I’m very happy with the end results, so that my models can now be seen safely by others, while keeping the little hands of my grandchildren out!

lXTaMj.jpg

Although I haven’t modeled for a long time, I have checked out many of your models, either here in the WIP or the RFI forum.  Standing back and taking it all in, these thoughts come to mind over the past year:

·        “Scratch” manufactured models, using 3D printing, is exploding and is clearly a big part of the modeling future

·        The aftermarket is rapidly growing, also using 3D printing, with never seen before detail and quality

·        We have new model manufacturers that weren’t around a few years ago, kicking out some fantastic kits that were not available before.  Kotare and JETMADS comes to mind- and I now have a JETMADS 1:32 AJ37 Viggen kit on the way for a future build.

·        It’s hard to keep up with all that’s going on!

One thing that I find a bit frustrating, is that I have been collecting all sorts of aftermarket items for future builds, which are mostly cast resin parts from small cottage industry vendors, that may or may not be around in the future.  I have lots of jet exhausts, missiles and conversion sets that for the most part, are now garbage in my mind with all the cool new offerings that we now have, and continue to be made available.  For instance, everything that ResKit now makes is a lot better than the equivalent item that I have in the stash, so I’ll never use the old stuff anymore.  I’ll probably just donate most of it, so that it doesn’t go to waste.

Anyway, enough rambling and back to this build of what I think is a pretty cool looking Viper Aggressor paint scheme.  I am so happy that I took good notes of what I did so far, because I’d be quite lost right now without them.  With the resin landing gear and cockpit now properly fit into the kit parts, it’s now time to get some paint on them.  Stay tuned as I ease my way back into our fascinating hobby.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

• chuck540z3 changed the title to Tamiya F-16 Aggressor, Kicked Up a Notch, Jan17/24: Back for now....

Nice! Happy to see this. And yeah, time certainly flies fast.

The cabinet and the lights are Amazing, not to mention the combo of models - just lovely! Btw this Jetmads company also intriguied me quite a lot when I found out they would make the F-22... hopefully for real, and soon. :) As I'm thinking about it now, it's probably more than a year since they announced the F-22 project - do you know about anything new on that topic...

7 minutes ago, F`s are my favs said:

Btw this Jetmads company also intriguied me quite a lot when I found out they would make the F-22... hopefully for real, and soon. :) As I'm thinking about it now, it's probably more than a year since they announced the F-22 project - do you know about anything new on that topic...

No idea when the F-22 will come out since it's still a "Future Release" with no firm timetable, while the sold out (they are always sold out) J35J Draken comes out this year.  These kits are expensive at about $500 Cdn and you have to pay in advance, so it's a little intimidating to take that risk, but I always have my credit card company to fall back on if the model never arrives at my door.  A friend of mine has the JA 37 Viggen and it looks awesome with excellent foam packing to avoid breakage of the delicate resin parts.  He can get 2 to 3 times what he paid for it on e-bay, or at least that's the asking price these days, since they are limited to 500 copies of each model worldwide.  With that in mind, I ordered my Viggen several months ago and it should now be here any day.

Cheers,

Chuck