Who has Sold and Shipped Built LSP's... or Other Completed Models?

Gazzas

Hey friends!

I saw a post today that made me consider selling some of my built models.  Usually...   I just throw the oldest and ugliest away when I need more space.  I'm really hesitant to sell anything that I think might arrive in pieces.  But it would be nice to have another option in dealing with them that would leave me feeling good about them.

As a gift, I sent my father a 1/48 scale Monogram F-102 Delta Dagger I built for him.    He was an armorer servicing the 102 in the 60's.   Though I packed it with all of the weight born by the wings, and none of the projecting parts touching anything but air...   it arrived at his house in Alaska with the Pitot tube and two of the LG broken off.  Canopy was closed, and the missile doors were shut, too.

Anyway...   If you've sold and shipped models...  and feel like it, I would really appreciate some of your experiences, both good and bad.  Maybe some packing tips.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Edited by Gazzas
typo

• Gazzas changed the title to Who has Sold and Shipped Built LSP's... or Other Completed Models?

Brian has a thread on the packing method he uses, it's very good, if you use the search facility you should find it, I'm on my phone, so not able to.

Found it, the thread it's mentioned in is; Shipping your LSP (across the country), you might be better searching that outside the site using Google.

37 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

Brian has a thread on the packing method he uses, it's very good, if you use the search facility you should find it, I'm on my phone, so not able to.

Found it, the thread it's mentioned in is; Shipping your LSP (across the country), you might be better searching that outside the site using Google.

haha...   on Google it keeps talking about Logistics Service Provider.   ...  I'll keep trying.  Found it eventually.  Here is a link:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=482

Edited by Gazzas

Many of the folks who sell their built kits on E-Bay make it very obvious that the buyer should virtually expect the model to arrive with some minor parts broken off. From their point-of-view, I guess they feel it's better to forewarn the buyer than have an argument after the item arrives at its destination. We all known how vulnerable built-kits can be in transit. I've had bits fall off my builds whilst moving them (very gently) ten feet in the house. Maybe I should use a much stronger glue...?

Cheers. 

Chris.   

Theres a guy on youtube, primed model works, he sells a lot of commissions, etc.   he mentions during his builds that he builds with shipping in mind, and leaves some parts off so they dont break.  He did a video of how he packs his models, i havent watched it but he mentioned it in another video. 

A suggestion: instead of throwing kits away or dealing with the headaches inherent in shipping models, why not donate them to your local Goodwill (or equivalent) so someone else can enjoy them?  

I have sold multiple 1/32 scale WW II propellor and jets over the past 10 years. When I build I try to make sure that the landing gear, drop tanks, gear doors and propellors are not permanently glued. I use white glue and let it set for a few days. I tell the buyer that those parts will be placed in small boxes so they don’t break. In addition, the model is placed in a clear plastic bag and then wrapped in bubble wrap. The box is lined with packing peanuts. I have a 100% feedback score on eBay. You have to make sure the box is sturdy and to use plenty of packing tape. If you need any other information just PM me. 
Jim

Im actually in the middle of doing this rn. That method I demonstrated and wrote the review on isn't the cheapest solution, but its re-usable, collapsible and Im 12 for 12 on shipping without major breakage. 

Yes, the bigger they are the harder the fall so-to-speak. I'm going to attempt to sell my B-25. Its 25.5" x 22 x 6.5.  Getting it to anyone shipping wise without major damage will be a serious triumph IMHO. I also have a Spad, and a Do-335 to sell both around the 19" ws mark so getting these sold in good condition will also be a big win if it can be pulled off. 

17 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

Theres a guy on youtube, primed model works, he sells a lot of commissions, etc.   he mentions during his builds that he builds with shipping in mind, and leaves some parts off so they dont break.  He did a video of how he packs his models, i havent watched it but he mentioned it in another video. 

Great video!  Thanks for posting!

12 hours ago, James Rademaker said:

I have sold multiple 1/32 scale WW II propellor and jets over the past 10 years. When I build I try to make sure that the landing gear, drop tanks, gear doors and propellors are not permanently glued. I use white glue and let it set for a few days. I tell the buyer that those parts will be placed in small boxes so they don’t break. In addition, the model is placed in a clear plastic bag and then wrapped in bubble wrap. The box is lined with packing peanuts. I have a 100% feedback score on eBay. You have to make sure the box is sturdy and to use plenty of packing tape. If you need any other information just PM me. 
Jim

Great post!  I never before thought of building with the intention of shipping.

Most of my stuff is built with a view to shipping . I like building more than collecting . Tanks as far easier , dioramas the same if you glue everything down firmly ....aircraft .....

I use ezy line for any rigging etc as that will have a degree of stretch . Pitot tubes etc , replaced with brass tube so they can be slid off the plastic stub of the kit part , propellors unglued and packed separately, I've even started to leave stores unglued so the new owner can choose what to load up with . 

To ship 1/32 or 1/48 aircraft I use cheap foamboard to make a cage. One large piece for the base , hot melt glue four uprights -for wings, tail and nose, then upholstery foam slices where the edges meet the model so they don't cut into the paint . Finally "clamping" the model down to the board using more foamboard dovetailing the uprights.

85% of my models get sold on aBay to locations outside the UK and only 1 has been destroyed , pretty sure by bad unpacking after it arrived. I also send a picture of the model fully caged when ready to ship to the buyer , so it "proves" to them/ eBay etc it wasn't just thrown in a box . Sounds a lot of effort but then I only ship 1/2 a month.

Sorry no pix , next time I do one I'll take a few, 

• 5 weeks later...

Just sold my first LSP on EBay.

IMG_1162.thumb.JPG.3820a4a2ac04da9ffb0f2

Despite the ton of effort in packaging...  I don't feel confident.  I worry most about the open canopy.  For the life of me I couldn't think of a way to secure it that wouldn't harm either the paintwork or another frail piece. 

I used similar packaging taking it to our annual Queensland Model Hobby Expo.  (it got Silver)  It survived the stiff suspension of my Hilux and the bumpy roads of Ipswich.  I hope it arrives safely.