Who has Sold and Shipped Built LSP's... or Other Completed Models?

Gazzas

3 hours ago, Christa said:

Two built WnW kits, 32013 Sopwith Pup and 32073 Sopwith Dolphin arrived in Isle of Man from Wellington, New Zealand last week (9/9/22). Both models were built by a former WnW employee and very experienced WnW modeller, with long experience of shipping built WnW models.

I counted a minimum of eight handling points enroute to my door via tracking.

Each model was enclosed in its own large plastic bag to ensure capture of anything adrift in transit. Each bagged model was contained within its own big enough Tupperware type container cushioned internally all round with screwed up plastic bags to restrict and cushion model movement. Both lidded, plastic containers, appropriately cushioned above, below and around with closed cell polystyrene sheet and block, were shipped in a cardboard box 600 mm x 500 mm x 200 mm; shipping weight 2.6 kg.

On arrival, 32073 required minimal remedial attention; 32013 had popped most of its top wing strut joints, rudder, horizontal stabiliser and starboard lower aileron. Aileron and rudder  connections were not metal augmented; rigging was elastic line, two connections had popped; no cord-wise rigging between port and starboard outer wing struts was fitted.

Can LSPs fly? Yes they can. Do they make final wheels down intact? One did, one did not, in the exact same packaging. Fixable? Yes. Recommended? No, D-I-Y is far more fun, less hassle and much less cost.

Chris

A few years ago I built a big model which I placed on a swivel mount.  To hold the model to the mount, I used foam under the model, and some pantyhose loops tied around the model to hold it in place.  Pantyhose loops are are superior to rubber bands as they apply gentler pressure over a wider area.  If I ship a biplane model, I will place a loop over each wing.

Some designs are tougher than others, of course. In the case of the Pup and Dolphin, the secure and unbroken undercarriage on this Pup is wobbly, whereas the Dolphin's undercarriage is firm and stable. None of the Dolphin's strut junctions popped, many of the Pup's strut junctions did pop. Both models were built by the same modeller on the same commission, so the modeller knew from the outset where the completed LSPs would be shipped. Difference in build quality? It happens - Dolphin was fully rigged, Pup's rigging was not completed. However the main thing is that Dave J's shipping technique is simple and very effective. New Zealand to Isle of Man is almost maximum range and LSP biplanes, elastic rigged, are certainly not the most robust candidates for rough handling in transit. Whether posting or personally transporting, I will use Dave J's packaging method. It works.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...