Canada in last stage of negotiations to purchase 88 F-35 fighters

In an announcement that raises a raft of political questions (not allowed on this site), Canada has finally made its decision on replacing its aging fleet of CF-18 aircraft.  12 years ago, the government was negotiating with Lockheed Martin for the same aircraft, but for reasons that remain unclear, failed to follow through with the purchase.  Personally, I'm delighted that we will finally have a "state-of-the-art" fleet to contribute to the defense of our country and to bolster Canada's commitment to NATO actions.  Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Norm In Toronto said:

In an announcement that raises a raft of political questions (not allowed on this site), Canada has finally made its decision on replacing its aging fleet of CF-18 aircraft.  12 years ago, the government was negotiating with Lockheed Martin for the same aircraft, but for reasons that remain unclear, failed to follow through with the purchase.  Personally, I'm delighted that we will finally have a "state-of-the-art" fleet to contribute to the defense of our country and to bolster Canada's commitment to NATO actions.  Time will tell.

The reason was really political 

I was disappointed at the time, but i feel that doing this now takes 1 huge advantage out of the deal, since only initial participating countries that made purchase also benefited from the economic kickback of employment by getting contract to build some components/supply chain. 

24 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

Big mistake if you ask me,  the F-35 is not the right plane for us.

Single engine anything is not the right plane for us.

What do you think would be a better choice? The F-35 has some amazing capabilities, most of the negative press has been unfair, as is normal with the media. I remember back in the day, the media was all over how terrible the M1 Abrams was...   

The F-35 reminds me of the early 60’s when US defense secretary of defense Robert Mc Mara ( I know I spelled his name incorrectly) wanted to have commonality in US aircraft.  Remember the F-111 for the Navy? All the extra changes for the F-4 for the USAF. From all the reports I have seen about the F-35’’s ACM data, when it when up against US F-16’s it LOST! Then , you add all of the extra costs for a USAF, US Navy and USMC VTOL platform in my opinion is a huge dog and drain on the taxpayer. Just my opinion.

Jim

29 minutes ago, Neo said:

The reason was really political 

I was disappointed at the time, but i feel that doing this now takes 1 huge advantage out of the deal, since only initial participating countries that made purchase also benefited from the economic kickback of employment by getting contract to build some components/supply chain. 

You may be right Neo.  No details have been released (not even the variant being negotiated - but almost certainly the "A" variant), however the press briefing by the Procurement Minister strongly suggested that economic considerations would result in thousands of new Canadian jobs.  I remain optimistic, but am prepared to be disappointed yet again.  19 billion dollar budget should get us something even if those are $0.75 Canadian dollars.  

35 minutes ago, JeepsGunsTanks said:

What do you think would be a better choice? The F-35 has some amazing capabilities, most of the negative press has been unfair, as is normal with the media. I remember back in the day, the media was all over how terrible the M1 Abrams was...   

I firmly believe we need a twin engined fighter. Typhoon? F-18E etc.  We have a huge country with vast areas of nothing, the F-35 isn't the right choice in my view and not based the the planes wrap.  That's just my opinion,  it's not a slap to the F-35

1 minute ago, LSP_Ron said:

I firmly believe we need a twin engined fighter. Typhoon? F-18E etc.  We have a huge country with vast areas of nothing, the F-35 isn't the right choice in my view and not based the the planes wrap.

Hi Ron,

I get it- but More areas of “nothing” than the US Navy operates over every day? The F-35 is the most capable fighter available for sale to Canada. The extra engine of the Typhoon and Super Hornet in my opinion don’t make up for the massive loss in capability. I was skeptical at first, but I highly recommend the podcast that I linked above. Sounds to me like the F-35C is the best performer in the family.

cheers

Pete

IIRC, one of the reasons why we ended up with the F-18 instead of the F-16 was its twin-engine redundancy...

I think what REALLY needs to be examined is the procurement process for military equipment in Canada. I could go into detail on how messed up that is but it would probably break the internet or see me banned here from the language I would be forced to use...

I am still amazed we could actually purchase the C-17 w/o too much fuss or political interference.

Mark Proulx

Edited by Mark P

Technically speaking our twin engine criteria really dates back to when jets were less reliable. Twin engines dosent mean more range.  I do agree that we need range to cover our upper territory. 

If the us navy is moving to single engine, thats a very strong statement to my above comment, over water in the middle of unknown territory i can see why the redundancy is a huge plus. 

In a way i prefer we go with something more modern vs buying outdated tech since we are going to fly our next jet for a long long time

I see your point,  but there is modern and there is modern updates to a great design. B-52, F-15 etc

Again, I am not against the F-35 as a platform. But I'm still a twin fan for protecting our North. 

I think single engine is a big mistake for us regardless of what the US navy thinks. We have seen two F-35's punch it in due to single engine issues just this year.  No knock on the platform but I think we need two engine birds as per our historical take on this outside of the 104. Our geese are big~!!!!

Ron

25 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

I see your point,  but there is modern and there is modern updates to a great design. B-52, F-15 etc

Again, I am not against the F-35 as a platform. But I'm still a twin fan for protecting our North. 

I think single engine is a big mistake for us regardless of what the US navy thinks. We have seen two F-35's punch it in due to single engine issues just this year.  No knock on the platform but I think we need two engine birds as per our historical take on this outside of the 104. Our geese are big~!!!!

Ron

Even two engines ain’t enough when you go air to air demolition derby with Canada geese….just ask captain Sully

Canada has air superiority all summer with the geese.

and those nasty buggers don’t take crap from anybody