Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid), with Mk.I (Early) and Mk.Va announced

John Stambaugh

57 minutes ago, RaceFuel said:

A WNW quality Spit V, IX and XIV that slots in price between the Revell and Tamiya kits wouldn't exactly break my heart. 

I don:t know how at this point you under cut the Tamiya MkIX, this new Kotare kit retails for $105.00, so lets say sprue brothers marked these down and sells them at 89 each a like priced Kotare MK ix would still be selling about the same price as a tamiya Mk ix on ebay.  However maybe there is enough market for both to live in that space.  There are a lot of Tamiya Mk Ix kits on sale though and they are typically in the 70 to 90 range so are really pretty good value for money when you look at what comes in the box.  I don:t really care for another Mk ix but that is a me thing, I have built three of the Tamiya Mk ix and I am not inclined to ever build another right now no matter who makes it.

Edited by cbk57

On 10/7/2022 at 1:24 PM, cbk57 said:

I don:t know how at this point you under cut the Tamiya MkIX, this new Kotare kit retails for $105.00, so lets say sprue brothers marked these down and sells them at 89 each a like priced Kotare MK ix would still be selling about the same price as a tamiya Mk ix on ebay.  However maybe there is enough market for both to live in that space.  There are a lot of Tamiya Mk Ix kits on sale though and they are typically in the 70 to 90 range so are really pretty good value for money when you look at what comes in the box.  I don:t really care for another Mk ix but that is a me thing, I have built three of the Tamiya Mk ix and I am not inclined to ever build another right now no matter who makes it.

I’m just going off of MSRP, so the Tamiya Spit is about $160 these days.  Yeah you can get it less on eBay, but I was just using MSRP as a fair benchmark 

The Tamiya Mk IX is $64 on HLJ and the Mk VIII and XVI are $72.  Nobody is paying MSRP for a Tamiya Spitfire.  If the Kotare Spitfire is WnW level of quality then $105 is a bargain.  If they decide to do another Spitfire then I'm hoping it's a Griffin engined version.   

I’m definitely interested in a good “-1a” kit, even at the Gucci-pricing. In offering what some may see as a negative characterization, I should note that I’m focusing on the model’s relatively modest contents, parts count, and so on. However, I’m not gonna feed the beast by buying the kit directly from Kotare. If they want my money, they’ll have to ship a pallet of them stateside, to Sprue Bros. That’s an element of the transaction that’s pretty much non-negotiable, at least as far as I’m concerned.

Edited by ivanmoe

42 minutes ago, ivanmoe said:

I’m definitely interested in a good “-1a” kit, even at the Gucci-pricing. In offering what some may see as a negative characterization, I should note that I’m focusing on the model’s relatively modest contents, parts count, and so on. However, I’m not gonna feed the beast by buying the kit directly from Kotare. If they want my money, they’ll have to ship a pallet of them stateside, to Sprue Bros. That’s an element of the transaction that’s pretty much non-negotiable, at least as far as I’m concerned.

Well my reasons were more to do with not wanting to be stung for import duty, etc etc. so my pre-order is with Hannants.

1 hour ago, ivanmoe said:

I have to agree, Sprue and ScaleHobbyist will probably be better deals for us.

My reasoning for ordering it directly from Kotare at their price is that they are a new company that needs all the $$ they can get. When I started my buisness money was extremely tight and I made it because people brought me their buisness rather than going to the big dealerships. So Kotare gets my $$ directly. Every order helps them become a viable company.  Regards, Pete inRI

On 10/9/2022 at 12:28 AM, LSP_K2 said:

I have to agree, Sprue and ScaleHobbyist will probably be better deals for us.

I will be VERY surprised if Sprue has the Kotare Spitfire for less than $105.  I think that the $105 price is a discount from what the MSRP will be.  But that's just a guess.

16 minutes ago, Steve C said:

I will be VERY surprised if Sprue has the Kotare Spitfire for less than $105.  I think that the $105 price is a discount from what the MSRP will be.  But that's just a guess.

Yea, I really have no idea. All I do know, is that I seldom, if ever, pay full retail, preferring instead to wait until I find one for a price that I like, no matter how long that may take.

8 hours ago, Steve C said:

Ahhhh … but the total cost + risk of transit damage is the real concern.

Sprue’s RRP may very well be more than the $105 advertised … but what is the shipping charge? … I tend to buy the majority of my merch within Australia as there is usually free shipping for orders above a certain dollar value and this usually counteracts any potential discount for OS shopping. Also there is less “baggage handling” from the origin to the destination - so less chance of damage.

Always more to consider than RRP at the source!!

Rog :)

I was thinking Spruebrothers will be buying these by the case and will be in the range of $90.00.  I do believe they will be a little less but not a lot.  We will see, I don:t think they will be over $105.00 though.  The quality looks like it will be such that people will go the $100 range on Kotare kits and they will sell well at that price point but for single engine 1/32 you start going much higher and it is going to hurt them.  I think it is wise to wait until they are on sale, I ordered one but only to support Kotare.  I will plan on purchasing my future Kotare kits from someone like Sprue brothers.  Although if they did an Early FW 190 I would probably jump on it and order direct again.  My favorite 190s are the A-3 through the A-5.

Right now I am mainly looking foreword to straight up detailed sprue shots.  I did notice in their recent posting on facebook that the kit will come with two seats, one has the seatbelts molded in place, the other without seatbelts to do your own.  It was hard to see a lot else of interest I was blowing up the photos as much as I could to look over the test shots and the sprues.

Edited by cbk57