RA-5C Vigilante - scratchprinted

Starfighter

Great job, I thought that the parts printed with the clear resin did not look good (layer marks), but I see that this is not the case with your canopies. For my projects I opted for the classic mold + casting method with transparent resin. I'll try something too, if you can give me some tips for sanding it's always welcome. Greetings

• 7 months later...

You guys are right, it is time to get back to the Vigi. I need some Mojo first, though - redesigning the wings requires a ton of work and I feel more like "real modelling" at the moment. I may use the front and rear IPs as first test parts for my new Sonic Mini 8K, but I first have to unpack and install it. After Christmas, I guess... 

On 4/19/2022 at 9:02 AM, Starfighter said:

Printed clear parts need a lot of attention, at least the ones I did so far. Here's a little comparison between the part coming from the printer (with supports removed) and an identical part after several weeks of sanding and polishing. 

img_3772h8sus.jpg

Wow Ben that is absolutely fantastic well done. What thickness is the canopy? I have tried clear but for some 1/48 scale kits and the thickness needs to be no thicker than 1mm at the most, and being small it is really tricky to get access to the inside to sand and polish.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2022 at 3:22 PM, Jim Barry said:

If you need some gear I have 3D files. Glad to put them on a google drive if you want to see them . 

Thanks Jim, that's a super kind offer which I gladly accept - I have already started mine and I am pretty sure I'll need a metal landing gear, but I'd love to have a closer look at your landing gear. 

On 12/24/2022 at 11:14 PM, Ali62 said:

Wow Ben that is absolutely fantastic well done. What thickness is the canopy? I have tried clear but for some 1/48 scale kits and the thickness needs to be no thicker than 1mm at the most, and being small it is really tricky to get access to the inside to sand and polish.

Thanks Ali! That's 1mm if I remember correctly as quite a lot of sanding and polishing was required as you can see. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Look who's back! After investing in two new printers - a Photon Mini 8K and a Mighty 8K - motivation is high to finish my 32nd scale RA-5C. I am currently reprinting all existing parts and I am literally blown away by the quality of the new fuselage parts. Surface detail is much more crisp and perfectly neat compared with the old parts printed on the Mono X. I am currently printing the internal structures and cockpit parts. In parallel, I am working on the new wings. Watch this space for more updates!

img_5469avycut.jpg

img_5470atdfik.jpg

img_5472al3eop.jpg

img_5473asoejv.jpg

Wow.  By George, I think you’ve got it!  Having grown up with these airplanes at NAS Sanford, Florida, in their glory days, I can say with some authority that you’ve come closer than anyone else in history (at least so far) in capturing the elusive look of the Viggie in any scale.  Kudoes!!  I do wonder at what is going on along the bottom side of the intakes, however.