1/18 Curtiss P40C - Finished :)

airscale

• 3 weeks later...

Could you explain how you did the canopy rails? Will the canopy slide on it or is it strictly for display? I have the Airfix 1/24 Spitfire MkIX, and I was thinking about how to modify the kit so the canopy slides on the rails without falling off. That way I can store it with the canopy closed to keep dust out, but open it for inspection.

thank you guys, very kind :)

sorry, I have been a bit distracted here

On 3/9/2023 at 10:55 PM, chuck540z3 said:

Awesome!  No surprise there, and an interesting study into the differences between the cross braces from the port side to starboard side of the canopy.  The port side has a hinge and according to some reference pics I found of other P-40's, there should be a release handle at the base of the canopy on this side, usually with a stencil saying, "EMERGENCY RELEASE PULL HANDLE OUT THEN AFT", presumably to open the canopy from the outside.  For some reason your exact subject doesn't have this handle, so your rendering is perfectly accurate (no surprise there again).  Is this just a restoration omission or was there another reason?

Cheers,

Chuck

Hi Chuck - lovely to hear from you my friend - I checked this and on two reference aircraft I have detailed pics of, including G-CIIO at Duxford, they both don't have that. Oddly I can't see any way to open what is clearly a window, so will recheck the drawings. Perhaps the later ones had it

On 3/12/2023 at 4:17 AM, brahman104 said:

Congratulations Peter!!! What an ultra nerve wracking episode that I'm very glad had a successful outcome. Great idea to leave the original blue shrink wrap on (very much the 1:1 way as well!) How did you glue the litho frames to the transperency? Was it CA or did you use contact cement? I'm assuming CA so it would remove the chance of the thinner melting the plastic?

In any case, what an incredible result!

Craig

Hi Craig :) I used CA - as long as the blue film is tight to the plastic it didn't get under it - I think using a new blade to cut the blue stuff sort of embeds it where the cut is and makes for an almost watertight barrier

..back soon

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

howdy folks :)

after a few weeks getting my next project underway with 3D design & print & huge PE frets, I am back to the P40...

it's been lots of little jobs including...

ailerons - these were 3D printed blanks then skinned with very thin plastic card scored with a ballpoint for the ribs and then decal ribtapes..

3rmQTS.jpg

j6064H.jpg

..the underside is ready for the US ARMY markings when I can get some masks done..

No79iB.jpg

..wingtips - these are different to ones I have done before in they have an upper and lower panel sandwiching a frame..

WTFwRa.jpg

stabiliser and fin tips..

kY1QV3.jpg

Zez06B.jpg

..the unit marking..

OjKwq6.jpg

..the nose guns..

Sxlrtc.jpg

..the mainwheels were 3D printed, painted and a litho hub made up..

YSjcz0.jpg

HZIUhg.jpg

..and the tailwheel & fork..

1wz07X.jpg

..I can't stand it on it's gear yet, as they just rotate on their mounts, but it is nearing the finish line..

IwwTq0.jpg

all I really need are the masks so i can paint the markings, in the background I am making the gear doors, pitot tube and bomb sway braces, but in terms of construction there is not much more to go..

TTFN

Peter

On 4/16/2023 at 1:54 AM, airscale said:

Hi Craig :) I used CA - as long as the blue film is tight to the plastic it didn't get under it - I think using a new blade to cut the blue stuff sort of embeds it where the cut is and makes for an almost watertight barrier

Thanks Peter! Makes perfect sense. I really like the way you've done the control surfaces too. You may very well see that on a certain B-17 in the near future :)

Awesome update as always, really looking forward to seeing it in all its glory.

Craig

It already looks fantastic Peter, what a superb effort! I know that it will look outstanding once you have your masks and have completed it - well done (at this rate, both the P-40 and P-39 will be ready before Telford!).

Derek