Totally scratch built fuselage of a 1:20 scale B17G "Fuddy Duddy"

fozzy

Thank you so much every one for all your great comments!:)

On 11/1/2021 at 2:20 PM, tomprobert said:

This really is a masterpiece in every sense of the word - what a truly stunning piece of model making. The attention to detail is exceptional - you really could be forgiven for thinking those interior shots were pictures of the real thing. 

So what's next? You've done the B-17... surely it's time for a B-24!

Tom

Who Knows whats next Tom....other than a rest!;)

On 11/1/2021 at 11:45 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Congrats on finally finishing this epic build, Martin! It has turned out just as well as it deserved to. Your interior photos are among the most realistic shots of a model that I've ever seen. Just astounding stuff. What's next?

Kev

Cheers Kev.....what's next?....really not sure. A few years back I was toying with the idea of scratch building a Scout AH1 Helicopter because I was air crew in the left seat back in the day in the Army Air Corps.......I also had an idea of super super detailing the Airfix 1:24 scale Hurricane MK1....do a cutaway job on it!....so many projects ...so little time!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there.....

Just when you thought you had seen the last of my B17....another post comes along!:rolleyes:

Well it's more of an update on the packing method I have done ready for the first leg of getting it to the Museum in California!

On Tuesday I am flying back to the UK from where I live in Bulgaria and then in February I will take the B17G on a flight to L.A ......Its all in the lap of the Gods  on if it gets there in one piece!

I feel pretty certain that it will be OK but not looking forward to opening the box at the other end!......after 10 years of work it needs to get there without any breakages!

I have shipped models before using the hold of an aircraft without any problems so far...touch wood! The trick is to suspend the model away from the sides/top/bottom of the box its in.  I made the boxes out of MDF and the front and rear sections are held in suspension using polystyrene packing.....if its not suspended then vibrations during transportation can damage the model.  When the sides and top of the box is screwed down the polystyrene clamps the model in position.....well that's the plan!

Here are a few photos of the boxes to give you an idea and also to show some of you that might want to try it with one of your models one day...if you haven't already........

Here is the front section placed in the box..........

B17G_PACKED_(1).jpg

This next photo shows the side screwed on and the polystyrene clamping the model in place........

B17G_PACKED_(2).jpg

I placed some bubble wrap over the top of the fuselage and then screwed the lid on......

B17G_PACKED_(3).jpg

Here 's the rear section in the second box...packed the same way.....

B17G_PACKED_(4).jpg

B17G_PACKED_(5).jpg

B17G_PACKED_(6).jpg

All I had to do then is find a big enough suitcase to place these boxes in........

B17G_PACKED_(7).jpg

That's it really!......just got to hope and pray that the baggage handlers don't kick the bag about too much!.....(I do know how they treat baggage as I worked Airside at Gatwick Airport many years ago and I'm guessing they haven't changed!!).....forgot to mention....never put fragile stickers on the case....red flag to a bull!

So there you go!

I promise this is the last of the B17G "Fuddy Duddy" story here!..........except to say that I am really really pleased that one of the editors of the FLYPAST magazine saw my model on my Scratch built models facebook page .........https://www.facebook.com/martinfostersscratchbuiltmodels..... and asked if they could do a piece on it in their January 2022 issue!...of course I was delighted and said yes......its out in the shops now!

222412.jpg

Thanks once again for those of you that followed this build.

All the best and Happy Xmas and New Year to you all!

Fozzy

54 minutes ago, fozzy said:

Hi there.....

Just when you thought you had seen the last of my B17....another post comes along!:rolleyes:

Well it's more of an update on the packing method I have done ready for the first leg of getting it to the Museum in California!

On Tuesday I am flying back to the UK from where I live in Bulgaria and then in February I will take the B17G on a flight to L.A ......Its all in the lap of the Gods  on if it gets there in one piece!

I feel pretty certain that it will be OK but not looking forward to opening the box at the other end!......after 10 years of work it needs to get there without any breakages!

I have shipped models before using the hold of an aircraft without any problems so far...touch wood! The trick is to suspend the model away from the sides/top/bottom of the box its in.  I made the boxes out of MDF and the front and rear sections are held in suspension using polystyrene packing.....if its not suspended then vibrations during transportation can damage the model.  When the sides and top of the box is screwed down the polystyrene clamps the model in position.....well that's the plan!

Here are a few photos of the boxes to give you an idea and also to show some of you that might want to try it with one of your models one day...if you haven't already........

Here is the front section placed in the box..........

B17G_PACKED_(1).jpg

This next photo shows the side screwed on and the polystyrene clamping the model in place........

B17G_PACKED_(2).jpg

I placed some bubble wrap over the top of the fuselage and then screwed the lid on......

B17G_PACKED_(3).jpg

Here 's the rear section in the second box...packed the same way.....

B17G_PACKED_(4).jpg

B17G_PACKED_(5).jpg

B17G_PACKED_(6).jpg

All I had to do then is find a big enough suitcase to place these boxes in........

B17G_PACKED_(7).jpg

That's it really!......just got to hope and pray that the baggage handlers don't kick the bag about too much!.....(I do know how they treat baggage as I worked Airside at Gatwick Airport many years ago and I'm guessing they haven't changed!!).....forgot to mention....never put fragile stickers on the case....red flag to a bull!

So there you go!

I promise this is the last of the B17G "Fuddy Duddy" story here!..........except to say that I am really really pleased that one of the editors of the FLYPAST magazine saw my model on my Scratch built models facebook page .........https://www.facebook.com/martinfostersscratchbuiltmodels..... and asked if they could do a piece on it in their January 2022 issue!...of course I was delighted and said yes......its out in the shops now!

222412.jpg

Thanks once again for those of you that followed this build.

All the best and Happy Xmas and New Year to you all!

Fozzy

Great stuff!

Of course it cant be THE last post................we have to know when/how/if it survived the trip back to the UK, and then we have to of course see the conclusion to the story with pics of it sitting in the Museum in CA. ;)