Heinkel 162A Salamander

BradG

I've always liked the '162, it's a pretty sleek looking jet. It appears that it was a rather good aircraft to fly, with Eric Brown noting that it was manoeuvrable and fast. If it wasn't for the fact that dodgy glue led to parts falling off them, sometime with fatal consequences, it might have been an excellent fighter. Another short coming was it's limited fuel endurance. 

The Revell kit appears to be basic, but nice enough. I haven't decided on a French of captured Air Min aircraft yet. I also transferred the plastic to a better box as the Revell side opening ones are not the best.

v5DKuhK.jpg

Made a start on this and so far so good. These are the main cockpit and forward wheel well sections. Detail is ok, there are some upgrades available but I'm just going OOB for the plastic here.

JioGPB2.jpg?1

The parts above now installed in the fuselage. Also given is one open gun bay but I will be closing this up. I also strangely had an issue positioning one of the side consoles for the cockpit but some removal of plastic made the section fit. She's pretty basic inside, but so was the real thing.

R2Dnqc0.jpg?1

Main wheel well bay fits nice and snug too.

pASL6U1.jpg?1

Edited by BradG

Cockpit comes up nice under some paint. Detail is adequate, the seat and seatbelts could be better, I believe there is a replacement on the market should you wish to buy it, but for me this was fine. As mentioned there isn't a whole lot in the cockpit anyway and once together much of it is difficult to see.

lLh9gz1.jpg?1

cgZkAkq.jpg?1

Fuselage is together and I hope I have put enough weight in the nose to keep her down.

lkQcp9N.jpg?1

Engine and wheel wells are together and the fit is again pretty nice. Detail is adequate, I don't plan on displaying the engine but you do need to pit it in the aircraft.

42NbQRk.jpg?1

Engine fits on without issue. The engine cowlings are made so that you can have then open or closed, closed in this case means leaving out the hinged parts and just carefully closing them up with some thin glue. The fit is good as you will see.I also fitted the gear legs and the tail.

UcL1VTG.jpg?1

Wings, instrument panel and some more work on the tail and before I knew it, well it's pretty much together! I did add a touch more weight to the nose behind the instrument panel, the whole nose is full too. Fit is great, making a nice easy build which sometimes you need.

Xsyhb2t.jpg?1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BradG said:

I did put some paint on yesterday Maru, I will get some pics up soon. I'm thinking I'll do a French machine so I'm still debating which blue I should use.

If it’s French, shouldn’t you use “sacre bleu” ??? (Sorry, couldn’t resist. . .)